Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Aren't you getting tired of these computer questions? ifra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir EvilFreeSmeg, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Aren't you getting tired of these computer questions?

Yes, another question. At least the IT pukes get to show off their edumacations

Which is better, a bigger cache or faster front side bus?
    The chips in question are thus:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core 3800+ Processor (512 KB L2 Cache 2 GHz, 2000 MHz)
    or
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 651 (2 MB L2 Cache, 3.40 GHz, 800MHz)

2. BlueDogAnchorite

BlueDogAnchorite IncGamers Member

Try this instead!

Well, i'm going to anyway... as soon as my current setup fails at running a game at medium settings.

3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Unless I can convince the boss to build a computer instead of buying a Dell or HP, then nope.

The moron is spending $5k on software and wants to pinch pennies on the hardware. This with Winblow Vista on the horizon.

4. King Nothing

King Nothing IncGamers Member

A bigger on chip cache means that the CPU won't have to go back to memory quite as often to access data, but that only works well if the same data is being accessed frequently. A faster FSB decreases the time needed to fetch data not in cache from main memory.

Go with the Athlon. If that's a standard P4, the Athlon will crush it in any benchmark you care to name, and since one of the biggest bottlenecks in any system is data transfer from hard disk to memory to the CPU, Hypertransport will make a much bigger difference than clock speed. Besides, the Athlon has two cores, and the P4 only has one.

5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I access the same information all the time. Or at least I will be. Yeah for 3D modeling! Too bad it's such an outrageous RAM hog. It'll "run" on 1 and wants 2+.

6. King Nothing

King Nothing IncGamers Member

You may access the exact same data all the time, but unless that data can fit entirely into 512 Kb (or 2 MB for the P4) with room left over for whatever the operating system needs to use it for and other programs, then you're going to be going to memory more often than you think.

From what you said about how much memory the 3D software requires, there's no way what you're working on will fit into the cache.

Don't worry too much about Windows Vista. It won't really be usable in a professional setting until Service Pack 1, just like XP was. And if the software you buy won't run on Vista at all, VMWare can help you with that.

7. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

did you talk him into upgrading the computer?

id go for the amd64 with a nforce4 mobo so you can get some outragous memory speeds 1600+ using dual channel ddr2 would make it alot faster for autocad+revit memory hog

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I'll tell you a dirty little secret - a normal user will never notice the difference between an Athlon and a P4. That sort of thing only matters to overclockers, and why the hell anyone does that except to make themselves feel big or something is beyond me.

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

But my computer runs faster than yours! Nyah nyah!

Probably not... I feel so small now...

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

A business that runs 3d modeling will though, so will a programmer who has to compile code frequently, so will people who use large databases.

Most gamers don't overclock and I bet anyone could tell the difference between those two chips. The Athlon is going to kick some serious *** here.

For the everyday shlub who only checks email, papers, and maybe a few websites 500mhz is more than enough, for anyone who does actual work the faster machines make a huge difference.

I couldn't run Photoshop CS 2 on a 500mhz machine, it probably wouldn't even install. The difference between a 3 second wait and a 20 second wait adds up when you are editing 500 photos.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well yeah, there are of course some people who do super-CPU (or whatever) intensive tasks for whom the choice of chip might make a difference, but they're a tiny minority. I doubt Smeg would notice the difference even with his CAD work.

As for overclocking, I don't think any sane business would overclock things because it voids all the warranties. In the old days where there could be a big gap between your computer's capabilities and some of the software you might want to use overclocking might have had a purpose (if you couldn't afford to upgrade), but these days hardware has somewhat leveled off, and your average computer is more than up to the demands of all but the most exotic software. My computer is three or four years old and I've yet to find anything it can't run at full speed with all the bells and whistles.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

First of all, CAD work takes TONS of CPU cycles. Pixar doesn't have thousands and thousands of computers with multiple multicore processors because they like paying the electricity bill for it. True what Smeg does is a lot less intense, it still makes a big difference if he is doing a decent sized building. Every time he changes the view angle, moves a piece of drywall etc everything is redrawn. When he actually goes and renders it millions of light rays have to be ray-traced, surfaces modeled, reflectiveness calculated, shadows cast, etc. I'm betting his CAD software has a built in tensile strength check to see if there are any huge flaws.

If you've never really used to programs you probably shouldn't comment on what kind of system you need to run it, it sounds to me like you haven't ever used CAD software for anything serious if at all.

I never said anything about businesses overclocking, I was talking about what is required for a lot of businesses isn't just a 10 year old PIII. Hell the networking that goes on at some businesses I've worked at would choke a PIII.

Donny, if you think you can run anything with all the bells and whistles I suggest you try some benchmarks in Photoshop, AutoCAD, and throw in some current games. If your system is four years old good luck getting a game to run with shadowing, lighting, textures, etc without dropping to 3fps. You might be able to run the game and use the programs, but when using those programs is your livelihood it behooves one to have the best technology possible to run them. My photo editing example is just over 2 hours. That is a lot of time you could be doing other things. If that first run just put a vignette and the date on the picture I could then use those two hours to retouch the photos or correct smiles etc. To me that makes a huge difference. Of course to someone just doing family photos it doesn't matter.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well I did already make an exception for people using things like Photoshop professionally. My money is still on Smeg not being able to detect the difference though. Pixar yes, Smeg no.

14. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

depending on the complexity of the drawings hes working on he might notice a difference

im glad his boss is willing to spring for a better system for him to work on