Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are you vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jackthelad, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Are you vegetarian?

So, are you?

Im just wondering how many people on here are vegetarians/to what degree you are veggie?

I'm not because (& this may sound a bit arrogant) I dont think that spending a couple of million years evolving into the most ruthless predator the world has ever seen is done justice by then deciding only to eat things that are stuck in the ground (that lettuce aint gettin' away, son!). I know I dont technically go out & hunt the food myself, but I know if I had to it should be well within my powers to do so. I also hate all vegetables, either raw or cooked, so that kinda limits my options! I dont mind most fruit, but I dont like cooked fruit in any form either.

I dont personally see how you can be a vegetarian if you eat either chicken or fish, tho I can see how its possible to be vegetarian & eat animal products (as if you buy orgnanic you can argue no animals were harmed, which is kinda the point of being vegetarian I thought.) By animal products, I mean milk based food; eggs, stuff like that, not ground up beef stock or anything!

Is there anyone who would like to be veggie but cant for whatever reason? Like peer pressure, money, anything? I dont know how the 2 compare cost-wise, but I guess buying loads of vegetables might be cheaper than buying a few kilos of mince or some chicken thighs.

My son is ~4 months old so I am thinking about what he's gonna be eating as he grows. I know technically you can probably get all the nutrients from a vegetable diet, but I personally think its better to get a balance of meat & vegetables rather than avoiding all meat. If he wants to be vegetarian when he turns 13 or 14, then fine, thats up to him.

So are you? TELL ME, DAMMIT!!

2. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

A milder version of no than you posted.

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I'm a level seven vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

4. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

If college has taught me anything, its survival.

5. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Its bad for your health to only eat vegetables.

Plus meat just tastes so damn good and its practicly arousing to sink my teeth into a rack of honey glazed barbecued ribs.

6. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

QFT.

At the same time, I fear I don't get enough fruits and veggies... the dorm's idea of veggies (i.e. grey broccoli...) is pretty bad, with the exception of the salads...

In particular, I must say I love fish, though I guess some vegetarians eat fish.

The dorms have pizza and salad and ice cream and pop every day... so I'm not learning that...

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I don't eat a whole lot of red meat. I do have steak on occasion. I also limit my fish. I eat mostly chicken and soy products. Soy is an excellent source of protein. You don't need red meat to get protein. I will usually take a veggie burger over a hamburger any day.

What concerns me are the hormones that are pumped into the animals prior to slaughter.

Organic food is more expensive. A free range non-hormoned chicken breast is quite a bit more. My grocer has an organic section and the prices are way to high.

I like leather too much to be a strict veggie.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I love meat, so no. Although I wouldn't say I hate vegetables, that's gross. What do you eat? McDonald's?

If you want to be vegetarian then go right ahead. I'm always curious why people choose it, though.

Not really true (actually, are beans and nuts vegetables?). If you eat enough of the right things you can make up for the loss of proteins and whatnot you get with meat.

Wouldn't they all be broken down in the cooking process?

Personally I worry more about the state of vegetables these days. Without even mentioning GM, farmers seem to be going nuts trying to make vegetables enormous. The baby carrots I buy at the shop are bigger than a regular carrot should be. The brussels sprouts are the size of oranges. Oversized vegetables taste like crap.

9. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I have no problem with killing animals for food, I just don't like meat very much. I still eat some though.

10. arcticknight

arcticknight IncGamers Member

Its not too hard to become a vegetarian. Even though I am not myself,
    my eldest brother is. Sushi, soy, lots of pasta, salads, vege-burgers/hot dogs, no meat pizzas, fruit, nuts are all things I have seen him eat. It doesn't seem too hard, but of course I have never tried it for more than a couple meals at a time. It costs more, of couse, but it is also more healthy (I guess...)
    If we didn't eat meat, pigs would rule the world along with the chickens and cows.

11. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

I'm not a vegetarian, though sometimes I do make conscious choices to try and go a day or two without eating meat (though dairy and eggs are still fine.) That's mostly for health reasons, though; I like meat too much to do that as a lifestyle.

12. SPARC

SPARC IncGamers Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Being a vegetarian can be very expensive though. You have to buy a large variety of fresh ingredients. Otherwise it tastes vile and probably isn't great for nutrients. My sister was a vegetarian - poor sod.

14. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

Meat ftw.

15. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

I'm not a vegetarian. I love meat.

16. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

There's a place for all God's animals.

Right next to my potatoes.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Resisting the urge to link to Maddox...

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I eat meat, but not nearly so much as I used to. I might consider going vegetarian (not vegan; not into that much of a challenge) at some point just to see what it does for my body.

18. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

19. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

So um, why is everyone saying that being a Veg head is healthier for you? People have eaten meat throughout history, for millions of years we didn't even have the ability to grow enough food with the nutrients needed to live.

I'm not saying Atkins is good for you either, but why does everyone preach moderation in all things except when it comes to being a vegetarian where everyone seems to agree its better for you somehow.

I eat a bit of everything.