Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are you sick of normal, nightmare & hell difficulties? <

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by In the name of Zod, Oct 25, 2010.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Are you sick of normal, nightmare & hell difficulties?

It just seems so old school to me and since D3 is promising to bring considerably new challenges to the game it just seems like its all being presented in second hand wrapping paper. Whine, whine, whine I know :coffee:

Anyhoe, thought I would ask if it's just me? Any takers?

2. Azmodean

Azmodean Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Are you sick of normal, nightmare & hell difficulties?

There would probably a cascade of QQ about how its just like WoW. The different difficulty levels seem like part of the core of Diablo so I'd think it be pretty hard to get rid of. There would have to be a lot more content made to make the game last as long as it does, since you end up doing it 3 times over to get nearish to max level. I think, in a perfect world, there wouldnt be the norm/nightmare/hell but I think it's a necissary evil IMO.

3. Andy2702

Andy2702 Diabloii.Net Member

I actually think more things in Diablo 3 should be recycled, but upgraded, from Diablo 2.

As for difficulties, yeah it'll get slightly repetitive if they made it that format again. The only reason I never realized it in Diablo 2 was probably because we skip like 90% of the game and that most of the fun isn't even playing the game.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

There is no Diablo without Norm / Nm / Hell difficulties.

5. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly, in theory the idea of having this huge area of play is great but when the tyre hits the tarmac we all just rush. That's if you play the game the way its meant to be played imo. To enjoy a game like Diablo 1/2 and go through all difficulties without rushing you have to start the game naked every time.

@Azmodean: To level up all you need is either more monsters or more experience more monster. This doesn't need to translate into a time winding predictable process.

They randomise so much in this game that makes it enjoyable. How about randomising what difficulty stages are available too? Like having a sum of difficulty types and only 3 of them can be played through per char. It would still be 3 difficulty levels so it wouldn't change anything as per the franchise standard model.

6. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Assuming difficulty curve is not parallel with the player power curve, difficulties are not meaningless.

7. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Gets the game out quicker. Filling out 12 acts of art, environment, monsters, and story is pretty damn massive. Splitting it up into three difficulties lengthens the game while keeping the dev time down. And for Blizzard games, you need all the help you can get in shortening the development time.

8. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Plus, if you design the 12 acts thing, you have to keep difficulty rise normal to be fair to all the casuals newbies so they can experience all the relevant story content.

Nightmare and Hell should be a real step up in difficulty.

9. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

What's in a name, for that which we call a rose will by any other name still smell as sweet.

- W.S. -

Might as well name it kindergarden/elementary/high school for all it's worth.

10. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

I completely agree :D

11. Malaterre

Malaterre Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, I have never been bored too much by the fact that you have to do three times the same thing. You will anyway do the same zones many, many times. Either for farming objects, leveling... So no problem to start over. The other advantage is that everybody can follow the story up to the end in normal mode. And the story is not stretched too much (which would be the case if we had only one long story).

What bothered me more about the three difficulty levels in D2, is that I found the second difficulty level kind of boring. Not the first, not the third, but the second was kind of boring. The first is always fun because you start a new toon, you discover your build... The third one is interesting because it is difficult (I played solo andt self drop, so it was quite difficult). The second one you are essentially "building" your character, grinding up through the level and pumping up you main skills. So it is not really difficult (because your main attack skills start to be powerfull), but the pleasure of the discovery of the character is already gone. So I did not like this intermediate level of difficulty. I hope they have a better leveling system that makes it more interesting in D3.

12. raveharu

raveharu Diabloii.Net Member

I think what makes NM neglected in D2 was because you could simply get rushed to Hell.

I mean, who would want to waste time in NM when you could simply bug rush and get to Hell, which has the best EXP and drops.

But all of these was possible due to flaws in the game, as long as Blizzard prevents them, it won't be so bad.

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Diabloii.Net Member

Nope, I like going back and fighting souped-up versions of earlier monster types with more advanced abilities.

14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea of 3 difficulty levels that you play in progression (D1, D2, TQ) instead of picking a difficulty level (torchlight) and going with it. one thing TQ did that I liked was the increase in “boss” monsters in the 2nd and 3rd difficulty levels. I am sure there is ways for bliz to add some extra stuff to both nm and hell to make it a little different, something outside of just giving bosses more mods

15. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Diabloii.Net Member

So what do you, guys think they will do to help keep us on our toes while playing? They say there is a lot of randomization in d3. In d2 i found that is was easy to kill every monster in the game (ubers were hard i suppose, but a crappy built smiter could still kill them). I wonder if they will make a difficulty rise in monsters in certain area's or what they will do to combat this?

16. Taliesin-DS

Taliesin-DS Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe better ai ?

17. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Diabloii.Net Member

ya but if you have super good gear(kill thing in one hit gear)will better a.i. help this?

18. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say rune effects; normal has little to no runed monster skills, nightmare has more monsters using better runes, and hell almost everyone is using level 6 or 7 runes. Also, rare monsters and their extra abilities/extra affixes, champion packs get a little bigger and more common, and who knows how phased boss fights can be tweaked.

19. Taliesin-DS

Taliesin-DS Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think blizz will make it that easy for us :p

20. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

maybe i am the only one who didnt think D2 was easiest game ever? when immunities came about the game got harder but not in a fun way, i felt forced to build my characters certain ways or skip entire areas of content. as long as they can make it hard without being annoying i am happy