Are you more of less aware of worldy affairs than your friends? de

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you more of less aware of worldy affairs than your friends?

After watching Hotel Rwanda last night, one of my friends mentioned "great movie but things like that will never happen". Some of them thinks events like this are on the probability of a zombie invasion. :rolleyes: I admit some of my friends around me are more knowledgable of how often Britney make love to Federline than wordly affairs. Is it a good thing? Who knows...

"there's some countries in Africa has these problems".
"umm Rwanda isn't in South America?"
"no..."
"near Iraq then?"
"no--south of the middle east"

And don't get me started on telling people I want to visit the 38th parallel. "you gonna visit the country that's building nukes?"
"no the south"
some wise guy "they can afford video games and high speed lines ofcourse they can build nukes"
me--" umm... they're different countries"
"there's only one Korea"
"there's north and south"....

If you've even stayed at a hotel in another country, you'd see lots of world news on tv. But here in the states things like MJ's trial rule the air. yay...

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
Ouch. My condolences on the dumbass friends. That kind of ignorance makes me actually want to smack people.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm definitely much more aware of worldly affairs than my friends. Living in another country really helped with that.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm less aware, and that's fine by me.

I'm selfish like that... I concern myself with things that directly effect me and my home in Alaska, but anything else... whatever.

It takes too much time and effort for me to become fully knowledgeable in all possible world affairs, and the affairs I do come to find out about usually disgust me to the point that I'd rather just not deal with it. Not that our local news is any better... I also am unaware of all the celebrity buzz and gossip because I choose to ignore that as well.

Now I do know geography... I know where Rwanda is, I know there are two Koreas... I know basics like that. But regarding politics, state of affairs, etc. of these places, I don't know and don't care. Other people perhaps have the time or the motivation to make this a higher priority, but I'm not one of them.

Johnny

Banned
I have one friend that matters and he is on the same wavelength as me then there are my work mates. They age between 30-60 and as most people in that age that havent discovered the internet they are terrible ignorant of the world.

And being a 19 year old whipper snapper they will not listen to me and I have to listen to them telling common known urban myths like its the days news.

In college, I could very easily answer "yes". Very few people I went to college with really paid any attention to what was going on in the world.

If you had asked about my coworkers, then again, the answer would be yes.

However, most of my friends are probably more informed than I am. Among my close friends, I have half a dozen who work for think tanks that research international politics and trade, one who's a Marine and just back from his tour in Iraq, and a few more in government intelligence agencies I won't name. I think it's safe to assume that they're probably slightly more informed than I am on most relevant issues these days.

Isolde212

Banned
Yes I would say that I more aware of world affairs than most of my friends. Anakha are really the only ones who really debate a heck of a lot about stuff. My friends would rather just drink.

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
Definately more informed.
Then again, Im just graduating highschool.
Some of my friends know just as much as me though, I tend to pick friends like that a lot of the times.

rawrj

Diabloii.Net Member
ignorance is bliss,

its sad most my mates are pot smoking alcholics that dont give a damn >.<

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Depends, my closest friends aren't stupid, and they do watch real news..not MJ kinda crap, they're well read and pay attention to what's going on, i'd say timmer and andy are right there with me as far as how much we know and care about what's going on around the world. Kelly, prolly almost as much. she really only pays attention is someone is oppressed. any of them could spot rwanda on a map, give you a litany of differences between north and south korea, and all that jazz, but I have several friends, not quite as close, that just couldn't care one way or another. mostly chics too, not to be mean,but it's true. Amy especially, and I hate to say it, cuz she's sweet, but she has trouble navigating from home to work. I don't think she could point to canada on a map. in fact, if it wasn't for the writing on it, I am not entirely sure she could figure out which end of the map was north. geopolitics just isn't her thing. that's fine. I'm okay with that. you can't make people care.

when I was in college I knew tons of people that didn't know anything about anything...of course I knew a bunch of people that knew more than me too, I just didn't admit it. :) Nowadays though i've gravitated towards those that I had the most in common with. now we're good buds.

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
rawrj said:
ignorance is bliss,

Don't stereotype. As a result of this forum, i am probably more educated about the world than my friends. I also took several political science courses in college.

And, most importantly, next semester i'm going to be living with a pothead in political science major. I see a lot of interesting discussions stemming from this as a result.

rawrj said:
ignorance is bliss,

Aye, be careful what you imply there. I was a pot-smoking alcoholic on the weekdays, and won't even get into the crap I did on weekends, but was still among the most informed of all of my friends in college. I was the pot-smoking alcoholic party kid who subscribed to Foreign Affairs, the Financial Times, and The Atlantic Monthly.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
More, but I wish it wasn't the case.

I just finished Stranger in a Strange Land (terrible IMO) by Heienlen (sic I bet), and at one point a character says something like "Everyone would be happier if they didn't try to burden themselves with the problems of a few billion other people" in regards to why he doesn't like TV.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems like we've loads of super informed people on this board :uhhuh:

I would say I'm pretty informed, maybe more than my mates. But I don't consider anything of it or consider them ignorant. They've got other things to fill their minds with.

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Johnny said:
Oh no. We wouldnt want to offend the drug abusing alcoholic minority by calling them ignorant.
Using, not abusing. There's a big difference. Also, there's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic.

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a friend who knows everything about sports. I myself have a broader range, but the knowledge isn't so profound. I listen to the BBC world news on the radio, and read a newspaper everyday, but I tend to skip the economics and sport pages. More informed, perhaps. Differently informed, for sure. Better informed? I'd like to think so.

HoD

Johnny

Banned
DrunkPotHead said:
Using, not abusing. There's a big difference. Also, there's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic.
Right but Rawrj didnt say "pot smoking social drinkers" he said alcoholics.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
Much more. Some of them do try to get into it, but either they just don't have the time or the drive. So I'm stuck discussing matters of politics and the hawtness of Angelina on these forums.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Johnny said:
Oh no. We wouldnt want to offend the drug abusing alcoholic minority by calling them ignorant.

What exactly is your relevance to this thread?

Either way, a lot of my friends dont have tv or newspapers, so they kinda just pick up stuff from here and there. Considering that, theyre pretty aware of the world.