Are you known as a geek?

Are you known as a geek?

I get probably 10-15 emails/IMs/real life questions a week from people I barely know because someone said, "Go ask KOW, he knows computers and junk" I don't really mind, unless it is someone who has repeatedly been mean to me for being a geek. I actually kind of enjoy being a geek, people listen to you, and you can scare people by making up the symptoms of a new virus that can infect a person through the keyboard or something. Good times.

The money isn't bad either, 40$ to set up an MP3 player, 50$ for an hour and a half of 'fixing' (IE installing ad-aware and Spybot then playing at www.javagameplay.com) The best part is, I never actually mention a price, people are just willing to pay because they don't think they could do it on their own.

So, anybody else here a geek. . .so much so you get referred to by people you don't even know to people you have even less connection with?

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I know nothing

people PM me and ask me stuff, they really shouldn't, I need a sig proclaiming my ignorance

correction, I know movies

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
I know nothing

people PM me and ask me stuff, they really shouldn't, I need a sig proclaiming my ignorance

correction, I know movies
and posting...you know a little something about posting.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
and posting...you know a little something about posting.
I suppose I am something of an expert on the word filter and strange phenomena when the forums be busted and wonky

I used to be able to tell you just about anything about any item in that thar game what we be playin but they changed the calculations to remove the +1 modifier on enhanced damage and so I don't remember all the new values

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
I suppose I am something of an expert on the word filter and strange phenomena when the forums be busted and wonky

I used to be able to tell you just about anything about any item in that thar game what we be playin but they changed the calculations to remove the +1 modifier on enhanced damage and so I don't remember all the new values
I just started playing again and it's crazy how fast everything comes back to you. but we better stop hijacking or they'll be trouting the bejesus out of us. :)

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:

I'm the genius. Most people I hang out with fail in classes, or get like 60s. I'm the one pulling ninetys. Most people can't tell until someone mentions it to them.

AeroJonesy said:
Hmmm, I don't know about geek. But I'm definitely a dork.

*Goes back to writing code*
Just to clarify.

Geek - One who obsesses over one(generally considered useless) area to the point of expertise, sometimes knowing more than than certified people in the particular area. The most common obsessions are Computers, anime, movies, and music.

Dork - One who is socially inept.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
To boldly go where no sane woman has gone before

I guess you could call me a geek...if it has to do with Star Trek, chances are that I'll know it.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
Just to clarify.

Geek - One who obsesses over one(generally considered useless) area to the point of expertise, sometimes knowing more than than certified people in the particular area. The most common obsessions are Computers, anime, movies, and music.

Dork - One who is socially inept.
I always thought "geek" implied some sort of technical knowledge, like kids in the A/V club and stuff. That ain't me. I always thought a dork was a smart, quirky, odd person. And the socially inept were called losers.

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
I am the cool genius that people admire because i do nothing and get decent grades. I also fix up people's computers but i never charge them for it. My services are free.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
Ash still beats you when it comes to movies.
Aye, I can hold my own with movies in most crowds, but I can't hope to beat the movie geek. (Why am I reminded of that horrible comedy central game show?)