Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are you a team player or a loner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Sep 8, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Are you a team player or a loner?

In the workplace, I can be a team player..to some extent. Now that I am in school and have a lab, it is a different story.

I had my first lab yesterday. I managed to get myself paired with some guy fresh out of high school. That in itself did not bother me. In fact I thought it would be most useful due to my huge gap in education.

We chatted for a bit. I told him about my educational background, what my major is and what my work experience has been. He made the comment "Wow, you sound smart".

Yes, I am not a moron. But, I am not a team player. I can get along with people but my work is mine. Good or bad, it is my product. I didn't relay this to him.

The last thing he asked the prof was if the lab had manditory attendance. I am so screwed.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

You get a lab partner? Wow. We had to do ours all individually.

3. zodiac66

The problem I face is do I do the work and allow my lab partner to get credit?

I can change lab times BTW.

I am not about to bust my *** learning and writing for some slacker to use my stats.

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Team player = corporate slave.

I prefer being given a project and LEAVE ME THE :censored: ALONE!

5. AeroJonesy

Well the lab isn't the grade is it? I'd assume it's the report. In which case it doesn't matter if you do the whole lab for him since he'll still write a bad report. Or are the reports not individual?

6. zodiac66

The lab it worth 25% of our grade. I am NOT going to let some slacker get the points.

7. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Well, you've answered your own question, then.

8. zodiac66

Lab reports are supposed to be turned in by both lab partners.

Have you ever done a lab?

9. AeroJonesy

Both partners together or separately? You can always try talking to the TA running the lab and say you'd rather just work by yourself.

10. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Either that, or find out if you can tell him that the other guy didn't do any work. Professors should have ways of finding out one way or the other.

11. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

You at least need to try.

You can't go to the prof the second day of class and say "Sorry, I don't work with others."

I don't know exactly how to try, but it's important that you don't categorically refuse to do it, then do it on your own screwing your partner over. Just because you don't work well with others doesn't mean he deserves to be screwed over.

If it does come down to the fact that he is in fact doing nothing, submit your report to the prof in person, and have a talk with him about the situation. "I tried to work with him, but he was intent on doing nothing the whole time. I request to have my partner switched with someone who is willing to put forth an equal effort as me, as a lab partner should, or do the work alone, as I don't feel right handing in the work of two people when it's only been done by one."

Or something along those lines.

If that fails, set a bag of poop on fire on his doorstep, ring the bell, and run away.

12. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Put "I'm not a team player" on your resume and you'll never get hired after college.

In addition to books study, socialization is one key skill learned in college.

So suck it up. Make some friends on the way. BTW, there is a reason to sit you butt down to the prettiest girl in class the first day of class. For some reason, it really helps with social development.

"You snooze, you lose" is the other key skill learned in college.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Yeah, working in groups is about my least favorite thing in school ever. Actually, making speeches is a bit worse. About 70% of the time when the teacher says "ok, everyone pair up" I am the odd man out. I might hold the world record for person in most 3-person groups. It's so rare that you're actually in a group that is balanced. It seems like when teachers make groups they always put the smartest with the dumbest too. Sorry, teachers, but it doesn't work that way, the smarter kid isn't going to bring the dumber one up to speed.

When I had chem is college, I had a pretty decent partner though. Then someone joined the class late and was put with us. Grade A asshole. Complained about his sword being confiscated from his dorm room..I hated him so much.

14. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I'm also more of a lone ranger... and the reason I am is because of people like that guy.

But, that's only in school. During my internship this summer, I did well with collaboration, I think.

15. zodiac66

Yeah..my lab is mostly pre-20's boys. I think there were 2 other girls in there.

God..should I feel flattered? Not only may I be viewed as pretty..but smart? Wow, what a catch I am.

16. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

If you are the one of 2 girls in there, then take notice that the other 16 boys are daydreaming about you, and angry as hell that your lab partner got there first. (statistically, the other 2 are dreaming about your clothes).

You are now their "pinup girl."

That's right, no more sexy underwear. You're liable to cause unwanted catfights among boys.

17. The Future now

The Future now Banned

Unless those guys have something to do before or after chem lab.

18. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

If I had to do a project on my own, and figure out what to do, then I'd want to be a team player... you know share ideas and have someone to there to give you their opinions. But if it was something where I was assigned to do a particular thing, then I'd want to be alone.

19. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Actually doing the lab doesn't mean anything, let him get his free ride there. it's the lab write up that gets graded, which shouldn't be a team thing at all.

20. arcticknight

arcticknight IncGamers Member

Yea. I really don't like working with others. Usually I'm the one doing the work. I enjoy it now because most of the annoying people in my grade don't take the classes I do or they have already dropped out. Most of my classes are full of people that actually want to be there. Most. Some people are just natural slackers.