Are you a mirl?

Are you a mirl?

The successor to the metrosexual has finally arrived--The Mirl

The successor to the metrosexual has finally arrived. He's a more advanced version in love with the colour pink and pedicures. -- the mirl

Metrosexuality's passe, it's been replaced by -- no, not the return of machismo -- but by an advanced form of metrosexuality. Now, it's all about the ultra-feminine look or male girls, better known as 'hermaphrodudes' or 'mirls'. The mirl -- a hybrid man -- is not afraid of embracing his feminine side; he has a fetish for pedicures, shopping, bags, jewellery and even the colour pink.

Delhi Times on the DNA of the mirl...

Looking good = Feeling great

Most men aren't too happy being pigeon-holed with terms like 'mirl' or 'metrosexual' but adman Suhel Seth isn't. "I'm a huge shopper, I love going for facials, pedicures and manicures," he says. "I love going to the spa and pampering myself. If that makes me a mirl, I am and always have been that. I'm careful about the way I look and I'm very proud of that." Model Upen Patel likes to take care of himself. "I go in for the whole grooming routine: body-waxing, facials, pedicures. I'm only trying to look good."

As straight as it gets

Make no mistake, the mirl isn't necessarily drawn to other men sexually. According to Mark Simpson, who coined the term 'metrosexual', "He (the metrosexual/mirl) might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but that is immaterial because he has taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference." Elaborates VJ Gaurav Kapoor: "Metro yet hetero is my mantra. I'm in sync with my feminine side, I grow my hair and have a cool collection of headbands. This doesn't alter the way I am." Designer Ashish Soni is a mirl and he loves it. "I love the colour pink and I love shopping as a stress-buster. But that doesn't make me fond of men. I'm a straight man who takes care to look good; why should that privilege only rest with women?"

Gender bender

With gender stereotypes breaking down, society is a lot more accepting of role reversals. 'Says actor Parvin Dabas. "If women can be in charge at the workplace, men can go to salons. You don't have to be overtly macho to prove you're a man."

Woman's kinda man

Do women find mirls hotter than macho men? Apparently, the answer is yes. "I like my men to be in touch with their feminine side. Here's to more power for more sensitive men," says Ramona, VJ.

The 'mirl phenomenon' has doomsayers predicting the end of the male species, and there's tom-tomming about 'mantropy', a unique 21st century disease that will make 'real' men extinct. So, will the mirl inherit the earth?
*burps and scratches* Yeah, I would score lower on this than I did on the Metrosexual test(1 for reading books).

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
"So, will the mirl inherit the earth?"

That must be one irritating planet; full of people talking about clothes, haircuts and "Sex and the City".......... I wouldn't want to live there. Let's hope I'm dead before that happens! :lol:

David.

Like most things in life I see this as a cycle. The real men will eventually get all the girls and the mirl/metro will die off. Then the mirl/metro will sneak back in and slowly gain ground only to be stomped out again.

There is a lizard that has a pretty similar cycle, big males get beaten out by smaller sneaky males and then the big males start attacking and become dominate again. *goes off to watch Animal Planet to get the name of the lizard*

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
Like most things in life I see this as a cycle. The real men will eventually get all the girls and the mirl/metro will die off. Then the mirl/metro will sneak back in and slowly gain ground only to be stomped out again.
You know what makes me, well, a sad panda? With all this name calling, PC/trendy idiocy and 'teach tolerance' feces flying about, actual human warmth is being sidelined. Pre-teens will now be calling the class pariahs "Mirls" and homosexual accusations will prevent even slight affection between males. Even the Sam & Frodo relationship will be ridiculed as OMG THAY SO GAY!!

Y'all know me to be substantially "homophobic" (in the incorrect use of the word). But one of my most embarrassing online moments was when I was arguing in favor of a guy who bemoaned the fact that men can't be affectionate with boys in our society any longer. I think the lack of decent male role-modelling is hindering children's emotional development on a variety of levels. The Brits joke about Scouts and Scoutmasters with some gay undertones; it often seems like Americans aren't joking.

The fact that this scumbag turned out in the long run to be a NAMBLA-phite shocked and disgusted me... and made me even more morose about the future of our society.

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
You know what makes me, well, a sad panda? With all this name calling, PC/trendy idiocy and 'teach tolerance' feces flying about, actual human warmth is being sidelined. Pre-teens will now be calling the class pariahs "Mirls" and homosexual accusations will prevent even slight affection between males. Even the Sam & Frodo relationship will be ridiculed as OMG THAY SO GAY!!
Do people think Sam and Frodo are gay?

David.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
I bet that woman who said she wanted her man to be in touch with his feminine side also wants her man to be a badass macho guy at the same time which is impossible. Gogo mind games.

NightShade

Diabloii.Net Member
Nono, it works in the
"I want him to be soft and caring when I show off to my friends, but I want him to open tough jars for me when they're not around"
way.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
NightShade said:
Nono, it works in the
"I want him to be soft and caring when I show off to my friends, but I want him to open tough jars for me when they're not around"
way.
Yes and then women wonder why so many men are intimidated by them and have no idea what the hell the woman wants. At least men are simple minded in their desires.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
DaviddeJong said:
Do people think Sam and Frodo are gay?

David.
Well, I don't know about 'people'. Some Middle School (early teen) children for certain. Of course, some of these little wretches probably want to be the Nazgul...

Americans don't have much of a grasp of the relationship shown - other good examples come from British comedy, like a couple of Monty Python skits or "The Fast Show" (which had a movie specifically addressing the 'couple' called, "Ted and Ralph")

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
OMGOOMG!!!11`~ TEH SKY IS FALLING!!11` SOME MODELS/FASHION DSIGNEGERS IN NEWYURK LIEK TO CALL THEMSELVESE MIRLS!!

Lets see if I meet the standards: The mirl has:

a fetish for pedicures - no
shopping - no
bags - no
jewellery - no
the colour pink. - no
a huge shopper - no
going for facials - no
pedicures and manicures - no
he has taken himself as his own love object - yeah, I am in love with myself -_-
pleasure as his sexual preference - Yeah, pleasure > pain.

Oh no, I must have been repressing my gay side for years. And worse, I am still in denial about it!

Garbad

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Who says you cant show the man-love? I am in no way, shape, form, or fashion gay, but it's hilarious to almost start to act a little bit gay. And there's nothing wrong with a hug between good friends. But yeah, Sam and Frodo, I wouldn't think they were gay if they ever showed any interest for a she-hobbit. But since that is not the case, they are definitely on the 'still in the closet' list.

There's nothing wrong with getting a pedicure or something once every now and then but it should not be a weekly occurence. If guys want to act like gays even if they aren't that's their choice. But they shouldn't be complaining that people think they're gay.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
hmmm, I don't see anything wrong with men learning to tuck their shirts in, and comb their hair from time to time. I actually do spend IMHO considerable time on my appearance. I shave everyday, do the hair everyday, wear khakis (though tthey're usualy the cargo kind, instead of jeans...when i go to work I wear suits, if I'm going out with the G/F I wear the smelly stuff she gave me. I don't do manicures, but I trim my nails, toes too. I even shave that part of my eyebrow that connects the two together so i don't look like a unibrow. if my face dries out I use moistureizer, I even know what exfoliate means, and shave closer so i don't have to go buy some weird cream (an old g/f insisted I use this face stuff that had rocks in it--I just shaved closer instead.). So I try, but really. on the stuff that matters, chics want a real man. someone who can steer the canoe, fix the dryer, carry all her luggage, and teach her how to play poker.

chics don't need a cowboy, but they don't want to be with another chic either. ever notice how most of a girl's friends only last a few months, whereas guys keep their friends until they start dating their sister, join AA or get married. sometimes we even have married friends...we just never see them.

so if some guys want to act like women, then whatever. that's their thing, but I'm going to be me. I'm going to keep smoking, using moisturizer, camping, combing my hair, drinking beer, and cuddling. cuz that's me. not metro, not cowboy...just "suburban" and comfortable with that.

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
article said:
'hermaphrodudes'
:lol: What a label! That is the stupidest word I've heard in quite some time. I can't wait to tell my buddies that they're all a bunch of filthy, wretched hermaphrodudes! Who thinks up this garbage? (Don't answer that, please. I think I would prefer to remain ignorant.)

PatMaGroin said:
Who says you cant show the man-love? I am in no way, shape, form, or fashion gay, but it's hilarious to almost start to act a little bit gay. And there's nothing wrong with a hug between good friends.
I love the declaration: "I AM TOTALLY NOT GAY, BUT [insert ambiguous statement here]". What's the point? Just say it and let people think whatever they want.

I hug my male friends all the time. If other people view that as some sort of sexual display, that's their problem.

stevinator said:
hmmm, I don't see anything wrong with men learning to tuck their shirts in, and comb their hair from time to time.
I agree, but the labels being tossed about in the article ... Why, why, WHY?!