Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are videogames addictive anymore?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nnndave, Jun 6, 2005.

1. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Are videogames addictive anymore?

I've been losing interest in videogames lately. They just aren't unique or catchy anymore. They are all the same. Games nowadayare are just trying to out-graphic each other, but don't pay any attention to the gameplay. I got a blockbuster gamepass so I could rent and beat all the games i needed to catch up on during the summer. I'm going back and doing sequeals to games i originally loved, and new titles that seemed to be hyped up, but it just isn't that interesting, and while I'm playing them I keep just wanting to just go play super nintendo or an old computer game. Here are the latest games I can remember that were honestly addictive and consuming:

Heroes 3
    Diablo2
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Gran Turismo 3
    Counterstrike
    Madden 03
    Warcraft 3
    KOTOR

other than that I can't really think of any original games that can be consuming and addictive. I've played about 10 new console games but theresn' tnothing NEW about them!

what are some games you guys have played lately that are actually consuming... and you can get addicted to? cause i'm just not seeing it with all the newest titles. All I see is bright flashy graphics that are trying to be too much like a movie. If i want a movie I'll watch a movie... if i want a videogame I'll play contra 3.

2. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

I got really addicted to Star Wars Lego game on the PS2 over the last two or three weeks. It was a shame the game was so small and easy really... well it was for 3yo+ :lol:

KnightFall

3. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Lets see

Diablo 2 (LOD)
    MechAssault
    Prince Of Persia (addicting but i havent beat it, but if i pick it up its in my hands all day)
    Simpsons Road Rage

I wish I could play Tony Hawks Underground but friggen EB sold me an unusable disc.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Winning Eleven 8 is pretty darn addicting. I've played through 4 full seasons since I got the game some time in March. Each season has 30-50 games in it, depending on how well you do in the tournaments. Maybe you are just growing up and you don't have the time to be addicted to games as much anymore. I know that happens once you hit college. I used to be a video game freak, even freshman year I played a lot. But as it became more important to me to spend time with friends, and I had more work to do, the amount of time I spent playing video games dwindled. Instead of playing games all day, especially on the weekend, my weekends are now for hanging out with my friends or hitting up a bar. The only time left for gaming are those few weekday nights where I have little homework and some time to kill.

5. bolo1122

bolo1122 IncGamers Member

Your right on both ends.. growing up and the graphic increase onlygames are both to blame. For alot of games, even tho they are to remakes and pretty redos, it does require alot more time to get involve with the entire aspects of the game. So much to see and explore adn side-quests before you end the game. Yes it used to be adventurous to end a game and go call a friend and tell them how u beat the game in 4 hrs, now its like 60 to 72 (Final Fantasy games and similar I.E.) with completing all side quest (chocobo). Maybe more lik 24to48, but u get the picture. And not alot of ppl have that time available nemore. exspecially during these times.

6. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Dave, if you liked GT3 and you have an xbox, try Forza motorsports. I've been playing for about 2 weeks now, blows GT3 out of the water in my opinion, but I cant speak of GT4 as I havent played that one.

But yeah I get what you're saying, but I think its not only that the games arent as addicting anymore, its also that we're growing up. And a lot of computer games nowadays are online, and I just cant stand the mass online gaming population, Diablo 2 comes to mind.

7. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Yeah, it used to be like I would race back to my room at lunch to race chocobos, because i just HAD to get a gold one and finally get that damn materia or whatever where all the knights kill everything. And it was SO worth it!

It was also SOO worth it to spend hours and hours and hours talking trash on battlenet and owning people with my friends. I used to get sucked into games, and go far out of my way to play them.

It might just be that college life is more important, games dont really suck me in anymore. But then again I am confident if i went back to my dark history of diablo addiction i would be hooked again. I wish there were more games that. I heard WoW is very addictive, but I've already lost 2 friends to that game and it scares me to buy it. plus it doesn't work on my school computer and i would only have an hour or so per day to play with work and all... so i guess i will skip on world of warcrack.

I'm talking about more of the geforce 2 era games. like giants: citizen koboto, and soldier of fortune, blade of darkness, half life, etc. I just ordered HL2 and Doom3 so those might be alright. IGN rated HL2 as the greatest video game of all time so maybe it can turn up ok.

8. chi987

chi987 IncGamers Member

try out baldur's gate II, neverwinter nights and morrowind. These are really good single player games.

go play a MMORPG and youll either get hooked pretty quickly, or never play them again :p

9. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I've done a lot of thinking about videogames and thier reward factor. You get the most out of games when you discover them. Think back about all your favorite games. All the best games you played NEVER have a "tutorial section" The good games challenege you to figure them out on your own. Thats why games like final fantasy, morrowind, diablo, etc. are so good.

You figure it out on your own and use what you learn to achieve. Think about it.... How many adventure/rpg games have you played where you've spend forever trying to figure out "how the &*$% do I use this???" or WTF do I do here?!?! Good games don't hold your hand.

Thats why the early final fantasy series is so good. It just throws you into the world with no tutorial, no inscruction booklet, you just survive or stfu and die. When you beat it its so rewarding.

I rented fable, and i was going around trying to figure out the controls and the menues, and how to generally own things. Every 2 seconds a window would pop up telling me what every single thing was, and what button to press when, and all that crap. IF YOU CANT FIGURE OUT THAT YOU MOVE WITH THE LEFT THUMBSTICK YOU DONT DESERVE TO PLAY A 17+ GAME!!! All that got so annoying cause i couldn't figure out anything on my own so I just took it back and got God Of War, which turned out awesome. But still, a little too hand-holdy.

10. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

I know what you mean. After I got sick of DAOC, there's been nothing out there to catch my interest, so I'm just not gaming atm. Luckily I'm busy enough so I don't have any time to get bored but I miss having a good game to sit down and submerge in. :/

Looking forward to DnL and Oblivion.

11. AjustinMyJonson

AjustinMyJonson IncGamers Member

I've always been a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series. To me, they are really the only games with solid replay value, because if you dont want to complete the missions, you can just go around killing people, explore places, I have even seen people drive around just to obey the traffic signals. I guess the thing it, no two expiriences are ever the same in games like GTA, which makes them very interesting and addictive.

GTA San Andreas comes out....tomorrow i believe for XBOX.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I don't think WoW is very addicting, but the 6-box-high stack of empty pizza boxes, 40+ empty beer bottles, and fact that 2/3 of my dishes are dirty and stacked on my kitchen table, cluttered around my computer (which has been set up there so I can play with a view of the television), argue otherwise.

Thankfully I've gotten my fiancee to play as well so I can still spend time with her. :teeth:

13. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

yes... oblivion looks awesome. I kind of worry for my social/academic life though. I've had two friends go by the wayside of warcrack. Thats how i used to be with dia-blow, but i got saved by a girlfriend and havvn't been addicted since, even though we broke up i'm still happier with a college life instead of the diablo life. what's DnL?

man sometimes i wish i could just put time on pause. I wish i could pause life so i could sleep, play videogames for 45 hours, unpause, then go back to regular life. Then repeat whenever i had a videogame craving.

14. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Dark and light. Delayed and delayed and hopefully out this fall...

edit: uhm just realized I should probably not link to that site, just google for it. :D

15. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Besides Halflife 2 (best single player game ever next to halflife 1) i have not played any game that has been released after warcraft3+expansion (i own both of them as well). nnndave has it right that games these days are just clones of older games trying to beat each other in the graphical department. Well i guess i can always wait for starcraft 2 :)

Besides war3 i mostly play old school PC RPG's like the might and magic series and various stuff on emulators.

16. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

hahahha
    i am playing that game right now and it is soooo addictive :lol:

17. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

This is exactly why I fear Wow. I know it would happen to me. I would love to play but I cannot afford to get lost in a game any time soon.

18. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

All this WoW talk is making me randy. I don't know if it's because it's illegal and dangerous or because the game sounds sweet. Either way, I know DC is counting down the days until I graduate...

19. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Soon, the dark side will consume your soul.......

20. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

It's hours now, we have a spot at the bar cleared for you.