Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are Titans Hell Viable?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by minuses, Jul 26, 2010.

1. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Are Titans Hell Viable?

I am wondering if a dual weild titan barb can solo up to hell baal. Im assuming I will need dual ebotdz's for more life since I am distributing all points into str. Answers will be helpful here so feel free to post.

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: Are Titans Hell Viable?

I usually get round to making a Titan Barb each ladder when I can afford it - which this ladder will be a long way away.
    They are certainly very viable with good gear (like almost all D2 builds).

I always go eBoTD GPA Polearm WW.

my "normal" build:
    eBOTD GPA
    Arreats
    CoH - usually need the resists - a Forti might do now (not made a titan since forti was available)
    Dungoes - Vita + DR + FHR
    plus the usual barb / melee items.

Dual Wielding botds would be nice aswell, you could play WW or Frenzy or something completely different :).

With decentish gear/charms a Titan can still get 2500hp easily.

3. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

I have made an IK titan Barb in single player. He had about 1.5k hp after BO. It was workable, but I'd rather have a more 50/50 split between Str and vita if I were to be playing the character consistently. You didn't mention what build you are doing, but WW barbs can go the titan route fairly easy. Frenzy, can be a bit tougher.

4. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

I agree with the recommendation of WW for Titan. DW or 2h your pick...polearms are awesome if you stick with 2h. If your not sure, or want more flexibility in 2h vs. 1h, then go swords and build your BotD in a Colossus Blade, you can switch to 1h if you need for carrying a shield in tough spots, or slapping in a second sword in the offhand for more flexibility (such as a Lawbringer for the decrep or sanctuary aura, etc.)

and yeah, BotD would be my choice for titan. the extra stats are a nice bonus to offset the lack of vit, and the life/mana steal means you don't have to have it in other gear, allowing for more options (such as throwing a dwarf star in the ring slot for more health/fire absorb, etc). one of my favorite ring combos for a BotD WW barb is ravenfrost/dwarf star. add a t-gods, and you have some serious elemental absorb.

Is the life from Dwarf start BO-able? can't remember, seems like it should be.

5. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Yep, straight +life is bo-able.

Solo in a players 1 game or with a party where everyone does their bit it'll be no prob, but I'm not sure whether the extra damage is worth the squishiness if you solo players 4+.

I'd go for duel eBOTDz/arreats/hlords/loh/dungo/gores with coh or fort. 2 ravens as it'll allow you to have base dex and sweet AR. Definitely keep tgods in your inventory :p

*Edit: Made a mistake with the life there. With base vit and the setup above (used fort, perf torch and anni) you get 1400 life, which is a little low if you're not gonna solo at players 1. I'd probably spend 100 in vit just to get you close to 2500. Or at the very least enough to get you to 2k with charms.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Thank you all for your imput. I know you will all disagree with me but please no negative comments about my thoughts. Here is what I would use for a ww titan barb:
    x2 ebotdz
    enigma ap
    maras (lol I know you will say hlords but think positive anyways)
    upped gores
    40/xx dungo
    coa ber/ber
    20/200+ raven (any raven works but nice to have high raven)
    5% ll bk
    60/20 rends (important to maximize titan performance)

I know you will say highlords and fort but I like sticking with safety 50% dr. Plus there should be no huge difference in killing rate between enigma and fort honestly. Also consider the resist on maras is important too but highlords is nice but consider the resist you will lose vs conviction monsters. Anyways here is the skill distribution:
    20 ww
    20 axe mastery
    20 bo
    20 natural resist (important since you are using enigma flat with the build)
    1 increase speed
    1 berserk
    1 battle command
    1 other required skills (you know them so no need to explain them)
    rest shout

Defense syngeries will not be that effective unless you are shielded with ss and using for for armor like a bvb would. But still always good to have longer warcry duration. Again please do not criticize this build because this works just as effective as any other titan build.

7. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

One charm gives more than those 19 extra points in natural resistance.

Maybe 5-10 hard points (you have ~+9 skills anyway) is ok, but not 20.

Only lightning is dangerous (when under conviction) and there highlords gives better resist than mara.

8. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Yeah, Natural Resist is a 1 point wonder. Just do the cookie cutter WW build:

20 Mastery (depending on weapon can be anything but throw mastery)
    20 Whirlwind
    20 Battle Orders
    20 Shout
    Rest in Iron Skin

Maxed in that order.

One point wonders:
    1 Leap Attack
    1 Natural Resist
    1 Increase Speed
    1 Concentrate (Battle Orders synergy makes this a one point wonder)
    1 Berserk (Shout synergy makes this a one point wonder)
    1 Battle Command (with maxed Battle Orders and Shout this lasts a long time)
    0-1 Find Potion/Item (somewhat useful with warcry weapons)
    0-1 Battle Cry (only if you really can't get good enough attack rating)

Using shout and Iron Skin to get higher defense rating rather than natural resists isn't the worst idea since your life will be lower as a titan. Diminishing returns on natural resist means that there is only 20 resist difference between a 7 point natural resist and a 20 point natural resist. Either an Anni, a Torch or combo of a shimmering small and shimmering grand charm can make up this 20 resists. I would rather use one row of inventory to get resists than 13 stat points.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Does anybody get it at all? If you are not shielded maxing out shout and rest into iron skin will not help much with defense since you are not shielded. I am planning on sticking with enigma flat and I do like maxing all resist. No all resist scs will fail on barb I go for 3/ar/20 if I can. Or 3/ar/mod scs if im poor.

10. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

I see you've learnt absolutely nothing from the other WW thread. Let's just leave it at that :)

11. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

You see I know hlords has crit mod that kills faster but I need to max out all resist. This is generally pvm and yes since im sticking with 50% dr safety gear I will need to consider other things. Since im using enigma I need maras for all resist and max out natural resist for more resist. Why do you think bvc's max out natural resist? I know other gear setups kill faster but I go for both safty and killing speed. Im not here to argue about it either.

12. Shanksie1337

Cold Mastery / - Enemy Resistances (griffons / Facets etc)

13. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

I tried a titan zerker, with ebotd ogre maul and some 1700 life and he kind of sucked. Ok, so I was doing tristam gf runs and some of those counselors don't get stunned by warcry. That didn't help.

But the bottom line is you really need maxed resists, and perhaps some damage reduce too, so as not to get into hit recovery too often.

Titan zerkers work better with grief/sheild. If you're going 2-handed, you're better off with a concentrate or WW build.

14. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Thats why I said weilded x2 ebotdz. You will need tons of vita from items if you are going to build a titan barb from common since people use.

Thanks for saying you need maxed resist. What I been trying to point out to everybody.

15. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

And placing 15 points into natural resist is a more effective solution than carrying two [email protected] charms?

16. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

whats the point of even making a titan if you are gonna use a botd.. When a grief ww'er does more damage even as vita build than botd titan.

17. Shanksie1337

fun and looking cool :)
    not everything is min/max'ing you know :D.

18. Bigru

Bigru IncGamers Member

If you get 2k life and decent life leech then you really don't need any dr%, however res is nice. For pvm you want significant crushing blow, keeping in mind your other wants this is what I would recommend.

Botd GPA (don't use 2x zerkers, this has bigger range which is real nice in pvm)
    enigma
    guillaumes helm (The best pvm melee helm in the game, by a long shot)
    maras (you get enough ds/cs from other gear and skills)
    string of ears (Gives you some dr%, and life leech which is better than +vit from dungoes)
    raven
    fcr ring with other mods (explain later)
    Gores
    Laying of hands (fire res, huge %demons damage, best pvm melee gloves)

switch: 2x wizzys for 105 fcr breakpoint on switch, great for tele and you don't really need the extra bo levels.

resistances:
    30 anya
    40 torch/anni
    15 from um'd guillaumes
    30 maras
    extra from ring/LoH

=115+extras
    I would aim for 70 res all before extras, so get 55 from nat res. If you don't have perfect gear then just swap in one 15 res gc. Won't hardly hurt your damage and it's better to have points in shout/iron skin (Yes defence is important pvm even without a shield, far more important than dr%).

max ww
    max bo/shout
    max polearm mastery
    rest in utility skills and ironskin/nat res

Merc: Might
    eth reapers toll
    merc forti
    eth andys ias/fire res jewel

This merc is better than pride because you will tele into a crowd and they will instantly be decrepified, which helps with your tanking ability as well as doubling your damage in hell. For anything that is still immune after that use a 1pt beserk.

This would make a great pvm char, and if you chuck a gheeds in your inventory you should get enough mf to be effective enough, especially if your ring has some extra mf, you could get 160-170 mf.

You will be able to more than tank anything due to your life leech and tele and merc.

19. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

bigru, that setup has low fcr on main switch so slow gameplay. the reaper telestomp thing is great but needs high main switch fcr to do it fast, so better to use arach and 2 fcr rings. Im not gonna go into the weapon and amulet.. :p

20. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

This is my titan barb, 75/75/80/75 resist in hell mode with 1 point in natural resists. Anything more than 1 point is an absolute waste.

arreats, highlords, ebotd ghost spear, fort sacred armor, draculs, 2x raven frosts, dungos, upped gores, random charms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]