Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are these MF finds really random?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bosoxx, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Are these MF finds really random?

Hey guys. I mentioned in a previous thread i was going to throw out my results from my Hammerdin/MF'er that's been doing NM Meph runs for 2 weeks now. In that time i've done just about 80 runs. I wanted to post just a few of the items i've found to get some comaprative analysis on just "How" random all of the finds are. First let me mention that i went from 264% MF to 360% and sacrificed some killing speed for better MF%. To be honest, i can still move about Durance 2 and 3 pretty easily and Meph still drops fairly quick. I've never died or even been close. Ok, here's some of the loot:

Razorswitch
    Griswold's Edge
    Blackhorn's Face
    Nagelring
    Stormguild
    Kuko Shakaku
    Cliffkiller
    Visceratuant
    Tearhaunch
    Peasant Crown
    Rockfleece
    Venom Ward x6 !!!
    Bloodrise
    Frostburn
    Tarnhelm
    Kinemil's Awl
    Titan's Revenge
    Maelstrom
    Sander's Superstition
    Spineripper

There's actually a lot more i didn't list because i didn't want to get redundant. My question is where is the "Good" stuff? There's nothing on the list above or what i didn't list that would be consider uber and or even tradable. A lot of the above are dropping x2 and more frequently so are the better items like Occ more rare to drop or is there the same chance for Meph to drop War Trav's as Spineripper? Because i've sold off 6 Venom Ward Breast plate's so far. The main difference i've noticed in switching to the higher MF% is that Meph now drops a UQ item just about every run where before it may have been between 2 and 3.
    I did this basically to find enough good items to trade for better gear and move on to Hell Meph where it really gets better. I'm patient enough to do another 100 runs if there's a payoff..but will there be?

I guess i just figured that after 80 runs Meph would have dropped at least one of his treasure trove of goodies to me by now. I can't get much higher than 360% MF. The only part of me that isn't MF is my Wizardspike. But i use that for resists.

As always, thanks for the tips and advice!
    -Bo

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Good stuff drops in Hell buddy. Level up.

3. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Also, 80 runs really isn't enough to be statistically significant. I do Hell Meph runs with my Blizz sorc who has a very good map, and will knock off anywhere from 100 - 150 on an average night. Patience, my friend, patience.

- Noodle

4. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

The term "random" is relative. For two unique items in the same TC group, same item type (armor, weapon, class-specific, etc.), same qLvl requirement, etc., they'll have equal chance to drop. But for two different items like Venom Ward vs. Tyrael's Might, the rarity is just not comparable. There was a thread long time ago explaining why Isenhart's Case drops the most frequently; basically it's a combined result of low TC, few items in the TC, low qLvl, etc.
    You can use ATMA to find the drop rate of each item from NM meph. And as suggested, hell meph would be more profitable if you can handle that.
    Edit: Unfortunately good map and 100-150 runs a night only work on SP. On bnet, you get the "advantage" of temp-ban every 20-30 runs instead:smiley:.

5. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

GreyGhost is right on here .. in NM, Meph's mlvl is not high enough to drop anything really worthwhile or tradeable. you did get some goodies in there, but many items that were certainly low level.. useful in normal or NM by low-mid level chars.

the list that you have there would then be mixed in with higher lvl items, hopefully getting you a mix of good items in with the garbage.

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

The breastplate TC comes up a lot. Expect lots of venom ward's and isenhart's cases.

7. xNamastex

xNamastex IncGamers Member

If you are still hun up in NM, I think yur better off running NM andy than Meph for the decent chance to get a SOJ. Regardless NM sucks period, even better stuff in A1 hell.

8. bosoxx

bosoxx IncGamers Member

Awesome posts guys!

Here's my concern. With my Hammerdin gear, minus most of the MF% stuff, i'll drop significantly. I've done enough MF runs against Meph to get me to level 67. I'm sure i could rush to Baal and do a few runs get some more levels and move onto Hell. A lot of posters told me that i would find enough off of NM Meph to carry me into Hell. I really have found nothing better than what i had, IE: Vipermagi, Trang's, War Travs, WizardSpike, and my FCR rings and Ammy. My resists are maxed at 75 in NM. It's obvious NM Meph is just too easy and i should move on. Am i going to be a push over in Hell with little to no MF% gear and poor resists? How much harder will Hell Meph be if i take him with my current Hammerdin gear?

I have a 90 Trapasin parked with lousy MF% gear but decent equipement. (Arkaine's Valor, Crown of Thieves, StormShield, Shako, etc). She owns everything in Hell minus Diablo and Baal. She's basically a great Hell Walker but a lousy MF'er. She found everything above with little MF% at all. I wonder what she'd have with a higher MF?

Anyway. I think i'm going to move on with the Hammerdin and see if i can't light it up with Hell Meph. I'm just a little concerned i'm going into battle with a butter knife instead of a sword.

9. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

One thing you can do is have an item switch. Keep your wizzy on, then right before you kill meph, hit 'w' to switch to a high mf weap (prolly ali baba or gull dagger) and shield (millebragas set shield or rhyme grim shield).

One thing that won't hurt is (if you are on bnet) join peoples games for nm baal to level up, or join games to get through hell. You also might want to transfer over some items from your high level assassin or vice versa.

If you are on east ladder I won't mind helping you out.

*thefranklin
    *thefranklin2

10. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Also keep in mind that the amount of MF you have is totally secondary - if yoiu can run an area or boss quickly with low MF, go for that as opposed to trying to do it with a high MF / low killing ability. Your chances of getting the really good stuff is so small anyway, you might as well go for the quick kill. Ideally, of course, you'll kill fast with high MF, but when it comes to choosing between one or the other, my advice is to go with kill speed.

- Noodle

11. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

but ive heard so many times, mainly for new players is to mf in NM until they can get some decent items that they can trade/use to be able to handle mf'ing hell.

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You can find a lot of excellent stuff in nightmare.

Example: MF sorc equipment

Shako
    Occy
    Skullder's
    Lidless
    Magefists
    Goldwrap
    Wartravellers
    2 Nagelrings
    Rare sorc amulet
    Gheed's
    As many skillers as you want
    Ai Baba+Rhyme as secondary weapon/shield

Except for Gheed's (wear three 7mfsc instead) and the shako (use a Tarnhelm), nightmare Meph can drop all of that. He's even better than hell Meph with respect to some of them. For the sake of completeness, he cannot drop the two socket grim shield for Rhyme, of course, but you can obviously get it from some random monster.