Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are there things about D3 you don't like so far?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Ishtor, May 20, 2009.

1. Ishtor

Ishtor IncGamers Member

Are there things about D3 you don't like so far?

I am a huge diablo fan, played through the first diablo/expansion with all charecters. When i played Diablo 2 and it expansion, i was impressed with all the improvement the game had. I can sadly and honestly say Diablo II: LOD stole my soul when i was in high school, and to me still is the most addicting games i ever play ( i even played WOW, and i say it more addicting than that game. And to state my cred i had a my own lv 80 toon)

I keep reading stuff about diablo 3 i like and i can not wait for this game to come out. But not everything thing i have read i have liked fully, and wondering if i was the only person that felt this way or not.

for one i do not like that the barb uses the "Fury' system. to me this is a mechanic from WOW and needed to stay there. Every Class in diablo always used mana to be able to use there ability, and changing that to me is dumb. Why fix something that is not broke. i think the fury system is going to hurt Barbs in PVP. diablo is a more fats pace game thean wow, and haveing to build of fury to preform a move is kinda of dumb when the other charecter already have access to all there moves and abillities at the start of the fight(atleast the ones they have announced so far.)

the orb thing replacing the potions i understand why the potion system was so over abused and there should be a restriction on them all together. why not put a universal CD on potions, and do away with Rejuvi potions altogether. i think that will balance it out a little more, and maybe ban the use of potions durring PVP.

So how about you, anything that bugs you so far or am retarded? :crazyeyes:

2. Krugar

Krugar Banned

Re: Are there things about D3 you don't like so far?

I cannot say there is anything I've seen so far that I don't like. I'm pretty much pleased with all of it. Art direction included.

I do have a few concerns here and there about certain announced features. But nothing I can argue against until I actually see it in action and have a minimal understanding of the implications.

3. tmorrow

tmorrow IncGamers Member

I've been following the snippets and morsels of D3 being tossed to us by Blizzard. Mostly it is all good but there are a couple of things I'm not happy about.

While it is not finalised it's looking like there is going to be a drop in max party size to around 4 or half what you could have in D2. It appears that this change is driven by a couple of factors, performance under the new D3 physics and how busy the playfield will be with 4 souped up D3 characters in full swing. Tight teams of 8 in D2 that want to play D3 will have to divide up their group.

The other disappointment is that it appears that there won't be any LAN multiplayer - you will have to join Battlenet2 to party. Those who are remote to Battlenet2 servers, on slow Internet connections or behind firewalls they don't manage will be out of luck or will be continual victims to the lag monster.

And then there is the unanswered question, will users of Battlenet2 be charged?

4. Akse

Akse Banned

I think mana was stupid in D2 for barbarian for example.. no one invested energy because it was damn useless, abilities cost too much mana and no matter how much mana you would have something like whirlwind would drain it anyways. So you had to have mana leech which meant you managed with very small mana pool.

I think fury will make it different and probably also more fast paced because you have to push on to get more fury. So I'd say it is a good fix because mana was broken imo for D2.

If we think about D2 and think that we shouldn't fix something thats not broken D3 would end up being a lot like D2 which theory is not broken but when you think about it in todays perspective and maybe as a person that has not played D2 for 9 years it is damn broken game :=)

For pvp barbarian has some skills to boost fury generation or get like half pool of fury up so he can access most or all of his skills.

Orbs will replace potions, thats ok thing imo, and for panic situations we probably will get potions too with a cooldown(so they have hinted). Speculating this matter is hard before you get to play the game, I think the devs are satisfied how it works atm since they are keeping it.

5. drae

drae IncGamers Member

Orb Collection for life isn't a new mechanic, new to Diablo yes, but many games use this style of life regen. It works, I prefer collecting orbs (as long as the collect radius is decent) then mashing potion buttons.

The problem with mana for melee chars was hinted above, without leach (which blizz has stated won't be apart of D3) mana regen is none existent. There would have to be some sort of mechanic to regen mana, changing the name to "fury" is really not a big deal, as they had to change the mechanic anyway as the current mechanic wouldn't work without leach. Also we don't distribute stat points in D3, so the only way to increase my mana pool or regen rate would be skills (which i want to spend on stuff to make me smash monsters, not on my mana pool) or gear (same deal). Personally I think it's a change that HAD to be made given the context of the announced changes.

6. AtomicJ

AtomicJ IncGamers Member

Overwhelmingly, I think D3 looks great, and I can't wait to buy it.

However, here are the few things of which I'm not a fan:
    -distracting health bars floating over an enemy's head when they are targeted
    -health and mana orbs replacing potions
    -the Skeleton King being two stories tall :p
    -Barb's fury system

Others may see these as insignificant, and that's fine. They bug me a little, but it won't stop me from buying and enjoying D3. Also, some of these are subject to change before release, of course. :)

7. Xandor

Xandor IncGamers Member

I didn't like the health orbs. I'd prefer the potions with a cooldown. Or another representation of that orb system. Like the the witch doctor's soul harvest. That animation would be better than collection red globes like I was playing some arcade game.

8. RedDog

RedDog IncGamers Member

They are already iterating on the health globe art design. If you look at some of the newer footage, the orb changed from the plain glass ball to an orb with what looks like arteries sticking out of it and it's dripping blood. So it's moving in the right direction.

Also, there are still potions in Diablo 3, they just have a cooldown (2 or 3 minutes).

I got a chance to play the demo at BlizzCon 08 and I can attest that the Fury system was very nice. There were quite a few abilities that cost zero fury that allowed you to build up to the more powerful skills. Ground Stomp for example, was a great opener that built a ton of fury.

9. Krugar

Krugar Banned

Health orbs are one of my concerns indeed. The removal of instant healing as it was with rejuv potions would seem to me the more natural approach. But as I stated only after experimenting with it ourselves, I believe we can pass judgment.

10. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

In regards to the fury system concerns, I would guess it's really only loosely like the WoW rage system. Mechanically it's the same, you gain fury as you fight, drain it with skills or slowly over time. But my feeling is D3's system will be much faster paced. Just watching the animation from Blizzcast 8 showed he built up full fury in about 9-10 hits.

Same theory, but will feel completely different because it won't be hard to build fury.

In PvP, we'll have to see how PvP is handled first. If characters die as quickly as they did in D2, there might be a problem. If PvP becomes more of a war of attrition, I think the Barb could have an advantage. Keep in mind, none of the Wizard or Witch Doctor's mana regen skills will work in PvP (no globes to drop for Wizard, no souls to harvest for WD). If the Barb can out last them, his resource is infinite.

11. Ishtor

Ishtor IncGamers Member

thats kinda of scary, if the duel last long barbs will own hands down or if they are short, the barb got the short end of the stick. until i get to mess with it, the fury system does seem kinda of slow to me, and diablo is a fast pace game.

i agreen the game still looks amazing and i know there is nothing they can do that will fully please everyone. I just wish blizzard would steadily release more information, saving the big stuff for like Blizzcon, but at the same time giving us more to nibble on and giving us a better understanding.

12. qOcOp

qOcOp IncGamers Member

there r a few but its no biggie in the end for me. its not gonna be a deal breaker ill buy the game regardless, unless something radical comes up like no online play. but thats pretty much impossible

13. Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch IncGamers Member

I don't like orbs. Definately not. Potions is a big part of Diablo IMHO.

14. Valindria

Valindria IncGamers Member

I don't like that I can not play it.

Man I want to play it.

15. Enigmers

Enigmers IncGamers Member

The Barbarian is meant to play like an aggressive class, and it's kind of hard to do that without the ability to use your skills. The fact that the class felt pretty much broken until it got hold of some mana leech wasn't a very good thing, at least in my opinion. I'm sure the barbarian will probably have some abilities that he can use with no Fury, so he can build up his fury bulb.
    (After reading RedDog's post, I can see that this is indeed so - awesome!)

I think Mana fits more of a spellcasting role, and that Fury makes more sense for a barbarian. Sure, with mana, you can use your skills straight away - but how long can you keep it up?

So far, I can't think of anything about D3 I dislike - I'd like to see the Druid again, because I really liked finding rare pelts and seeing what they had (moreso than other class-specific items) and I really like the idea of a werewolf running with a pack of his fellow furry four-legged friends.

I think the inability to distribute your own stats is a little limiting - maybe they could use a system like Trickster Online, in which, when you create your character, you decide how much of a % of your total stat boost goes to which stat, and you also get some stats on level-up. That way, you can't really mess up your character, but you can make him a little more personalized.

16. bioshocker

bioshocker Banned

I hate the way they got orbs now, but most importantly the color palette. WoW style+diablo, no does not stack. Also i hate the new one space inventory, you cant really look and see the detail. I mean this is 2009 they should come up with a good inventory like they have on mods. O and one more thing, they better bring back the necro, not the stupid monkey/spearchucker looking witch doctor.

17. Ishtor

Ishtor IncGamers Member

Valindria, i agree with you, i hate that i cant play it either...

Enigmers - sorry the druid is not gonna come back, atleast not until an expansion if that, i liked the druid too. Good def on the fury system, although i would disagree. Every class in diablo world has used man up to this point, alothought they are getting rid of leach is probally the only reson they switched to this horrible fury system.

bioshocker the necro is probally gone for ever, my he rest in piece

18. Enigmers

Enigmers IncGamers Member

There are multiple tabs, for big items and small items, and I think you can see the detail better because you don't really have the distracting grid in the background, it looks much cleaner.

19. Ishtor

Ishtor IncGamers Member

i will miss the inventory tetris, i wish they would only make the stash bigger but keep it the same way. the new way is ok but iactually liked the old way better.

20. Krugar

Krugar Banned

Never bothered me much either. Just the size indeed.
    My guess is that somewhere down the line it became fashionable to complain about the inventory in D2.
    In my best teen impersonation, "Whatever"...