Are there dots to connect?

Are there dots to connect?

Times Online said:
Dead Russian spy to be buried as a Muslim
Philippe Naughton

Alexander Litvinenko, the former Russian intelligence agent poisoned in London, is to be buried according to Muslim tradition after converting to Islam on his deathbed.

The spy's father, Walter Litvinenko, said in an interview published today that his son - who was born an Orthodox Christian but had close links to Islamist rebels in Chechnya - made the request as he lay dying in University College Hospital.

"He said ’I want to be buried according to Muslim tradition’," Mr Litvinenko told Moscow's Kommersant daily.

"I said, ’Well son, as you wish. We already have one Muslim in our family - my daughter is married to a Muslim. The important thing is to believe in the Almighty. God is one.’"
Rest of story
1. Litvinkenko is disgruntled former KGB spy
2. He had ties with Muslim groups in Chechyna
3. He is poisoned with polonium-210
4. He wants to be buried a muslim
5. This in London

The question must be asked, was he involved in making a radiological bomb for a terrorist cell?

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
5. This in London

The question must be asked, was he involved in making a radiological bomb for a terrorist cell?
What difference does it make? The man is dead. Besides, it seems that every other terrorist caught/mentioned is listed as an expert in some type of bomb-making. I doubt his services were needed.

EliManning

Diabloii.Net Member
What are these "close ties" to Chechen Muslims? The guy was FSB, I'll bet dollars to used condoms that his "ties" were professional and of the sort where they thought he was a friend while he was sabotaging their operations.

All I know of his ties are the ones his father spoke of.

Why would Putin have him killed in such a easily traced manner? The poloniom has already been traced to a Russkie reactor. Why do it like that when the Russkies are so damned good at subtlety? Why not simply stab him and make it look like a street crime? London is rife with thugs. IT would have been a 15 second sound bite and that's it.

The traces of Polonium all over the city screams incompetance and sloppy work. I can't believe the FSB would be so sloppy. Jihadists on the other hand...

Only time will tell. But just in case we'd all better brush up on the specifics of polonium poisoning.

Pitboss_2000

Diabloii.Net Member
Why would jihadist kill him if he was helping them? Why wouldn't jihadists just gun him down with an untracable AK47? Or stab him? Would you be able to stab a KGB secret agent, in the first place?

It's likely he poisoned himself accidently while handling the polonium-210. With his ties and conversion to Islam, being a disgruntled former spy... It's entirely plausible that he went to work for a terrorist group for a large sum of money. The chance to kill Westerners, just icing on the cake.

Speculation, but not unrealistic.

EliManning

Diabloii.Net Member
The traces of Polonium all over the city screams incompetance and sloppy work. I can't believe the FSB would be so sloppy. Jihadists on the other hand...
Well, the FSB and its predecessor organization had/have a bit of a reputation for occasionally doing intentionally sloppy wet work precisely because everyone would automatically assume it was some other group. I don't think that we can safely assume that Chechen separatists flew to London with nuclear material to slowly assassinate someone they were allegedly tied to just because it doesn't look like FSB work at first glance.

They also have a reputation for applying polonium to bills in order to track currency. We can't rule out that the guy was just involved in tracking a counterfeiting ring and ended up handling some of it with a cut on his hand or something.

Plus how would a hospital detect it? Bring in a geiger counter? I imagine in most cases it would be pretty safe to kill someone by radiation poisoning. Not too many people would think to check for it and probably not too many hospitals have the capability to check for it. That's just one of the risks with exotic weaponry. You run a really low risk of anyone figuring out what's wrong with the guy and a really high risk of being tied to it if someone does figure out what poisoned him. People do take that risk once in a while, it's not necessarily sloppy work, it might just be exceptional work on the part of a doctor. They used that umbrella gun to shoot Markov with a dissolving ricin dart in London in '78. It's not unheard of that they'd try something out just to see how detectible it is.

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
Think it wasn't an accident because if he had to deal with polonium he also have known how to do it safely. The worth of the polonium in his body is estimated to be around 40 million dollar on the blackmarked so I guess it's more than a few milligram maybe more then a gram so it's eighter murder or suicide.

@EliManning: The radiation shoud be seen on a x-ray picture. The reson for the death was planned to be found out I guess.

Draconis

Diabloii.Net Member
It could just as easily be that the FSB wanted him to die a slow, lingering, painful, public death. Pour encourager les autres, so to speak.

As for the traces all over the city, from what I understand from reports, his sweat and other body fluids would have been contaminated from soon after his poisoning.

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a shame denial isn't panful.
People who don't jump to the conclusion that islamists were behind this are in denial? You do realize that there is no indication that any islamist had anything to do with this, right? You are speculating wildly. Until you have anything else to go on I suggest you stop talking down to people.

:laugh:

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
5. This in London

I've got an better one:

1. Invade Iraq.
2. ???
3. Profit!