Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are revivers dead?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Hellhound, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Hellhound

Hellhound IncGamers Member

Are revivers dead?

The last necro I made was in .09 a while back, and I was looking into some necro guides and was surprised to find that rarely any mancer build focuses on revived minions as a killing force. Did the 1.10 patch alter revive or something? How come skeletons are used so much more often as opposed to a massive army of revives?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Skeletons got a huge boost in Life, Damage, AR and Regen rate. And they can actually follow you around the map. You can't summon as many as in 1.09. Revives are as dumb as ever. Nothing has changed for them. They still disappear every time you round a corner. People ditched Revives because they are inferior to Skellies.

3. ZonnyWonny

ZonnyWonny IncGamers Member

that and they're really annoying to other players who cant help but try to attack your revives heh

4. Angst

Angst IncGamers Member

Reviver's also got enigma, which makes revives very useful. Large numbers of revives concentrated into a small precise area with teleport = massive damage very fast.

If you have no way to teleport, and dont want to put up with the TP trick, yes, revives are pretty useless. In general, Skeletons take less effort and are strong too, so most people use skeletons with just a few revives, instead of max revives with just a few skeletons.

5. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Unlike the Iron Golemancer that has been brutally slain by 1.10 a Revive based summoner can actually work out. It just requires a whole lot more micromanagement.

Be mindful that in 1.10 the difference between the monsters' hit points and the damage they do has been radically altered, to the hit points' favour.

Therefore you need to get the very creme of the monsters damage-wise. The gloams that are such a hassle for most players can be an excellent weapon in the hand of a skilled reviver. Among other faves are Gloombats, Succubi and Frenzytaurs.

6. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

Revives just like to dissapear on you. And it's not like they die from loss of life, or get killed by the timer. They just vansih. I don't even jolt around corners or run ahead of my minions. I can be standing right there and see my revive counter at max, look away, and then all of a sudden 3 revives are gone. What the hell?!

I summon revives for extra meat, or when I'm bored. It's a one-point wonder skill anyways. Skeletons are my main driving froce. Good-ol reliable skellies. :D

7. Ohmn

Ohmn IncGamers Member

Yes revivers are dead. I obtained CD2 the day it came out and played revivers as my character of choice through patch after patch of both CD2 and LoD. I love revives. But there is little use for them in 1.10 outside the ancients, baals minions and similar situations. Skeletons are just so much better. Not only do they follow you but they actually intercept monsters before they get to you :) I remember the first time I was soloing hell baal with my summoner who with skill items can have 16 revives along with a maxed skeleton and SM. A few minutes into the fight all my revives timed out, I wondered if my skeletons and merc could servive. LOL, with decrepify and clay golem all of the skeletons survived. Killing baal took forever but skeletons are just so much superior in 1.10.

As long as you have a well equiped might merc they do very well.

8. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

he didn't really say that on forums, but he's sexier then you guys. badass trick if you ask me

fluffy g rox
    :yep:

9. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

i think summoner could use skellies as his main forces and revives as sort of a shot term "auxiliary force" to be raised when needed. Plus more men cant hurt in an army!

10. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member

Revives are great when you need a real meatshield. Last night I was running the pit and on level 2 I hit 3 bosspacks packing amp damage, might, fanatisicm. And two of the groups were archers. the other melee. It was revives that pulled me through the fight (and dim vision and decrepify). Skeletons were one or two hit kills for the bosses, but revives could take the hits and keep on ticking (plus archer revives are very good). I almost always keep revives around me, if I lose some I simply summon more, though if you pick the right ones you don't have as many problems.

-Starcrunch

11. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

sorry

Pluizige g

12. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Big fan of reviving ranged attackers in open spaces. I do this with the spear cats and burning dead archers at Shenk. Whenever I find Blunderbores, I try to remember where they are, so I can revive a bunch of them before going after Baal. Their crushing blow makes short work of him. Someone else on this forum gave me that idea, and it's a good one.

In short, revivers are dead, but revives aren't. They're just not as useful.

13. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

I like them because they are just additions to your meat sheild. I say if your a skelliemancer and you have already maxed RS and have about 10 points in SM then it wouldnt hurt to put one point into them because if you have a few +1 summon skills you'll net 4 or 5 revies.

They really are not as good as your skellies but its just nice to have a little extra protection and some of them have good enough life to stand up against diablo..

14. Maestro

Maestro IncGamers Member

The other thing with revives are that in multi-player games they are very unpopular with other players who all think (with some justification) that they are responsible for whatever lag everyone is experiencing. But if you are soloing then revives are invaluable as a back up for skeles or for someone to watch your back when you are doing those Diablo and Meph runs where they are numerous monsters coming at you in gangs.

By the way, we know that Revives are of lesser importance in 1.10 but what about Mages ?
    I never played the Necro in 1.09 so can someone tell me if Mages were any better in that patch ?
    Right now they seem to be pretty useless in the latest patch.

15. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

They are ok if you max or almost max them and have a fair amount of pts in SM. They arnt really worth it if you are just going to put 2-4 points in them. I put 2 in mages and have about 9 in SM and they get killed right away in Normal against Diablo. 1 of his fire nova's kill my mages right away.

16. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

There's a few problems I have with mages. For starters, they seem weaker than skeletons, even when maxed out. This is a bad thing, considering my mages like to slingshot ahead of me when I stop running, many times they venture farther out than my skeletons and get killed. Skeleton warriors are great tanks, mages are not.

Then there's the damage. Their damage is good with LR, but that curse does not help your skeleton warriors. I don't think Might aura works with Mages either? LR requires extra points to boost it's effectiveness, where as Amp Damge does -100% physical resistance from the very first point you put into it.

Plus there's the heavy mix of elemential immunites in Hell difficulty. If you have 10 mages, and 4 of them are lightning type, then that's a 40% damage drop against a Lightning Immune monster. Even if you break the immunity, there's still a high amount of resistance, and a significant loss in damage. There are very few Physical Immune monsters in Hell, and it is very rare to come across a PI which can't be broken by Amp Damage.

I think mages are good for full-blown skellimancers, but I find skeleton warriors are much more efficient at tanking, and killing everything. :)

17. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member

Don't run and they mages won't swarm past you as badly. Pick your mages (eliminate useless mages and replace them with useful one). Fire mages do the most damage so fire immunes harm you most. Cold and poison mages have useful effects. Lightning mages have a wide array of damage and I perfer to not use these unless in an area with fire immunes. High level mages plus lower resist will kill PI monsters faster than amp and skeletons. Last but not least, if you absolutely want to kill every monster in the game mages are great because of their variety.

-Starcrunch