Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are people really that apathetic and dumb?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ev_, May 22, 2005.

1. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Are people really that apathetic and dumb?

So I went down to the beach earlier, and while I was there a baby sea lion wandered up onto the beach. There were a good 500 people on our stretch of beach, so it's obviously not prime sea lion hang out territory. The thing looked half starved and was crying out a lot.

My first reaction was to try to call someone...lifeguard, park ranger, sea world...none of them were particularly reactive. Everyone else's reaction though was to try to get as close as possible to the sea lion. Are you kidding me? Am I the only person who'd actually like to help the poor thing?

I tried to get people to stay back a little, but it was a pretty futile effort. The worst part was that little kids listened to me more than older people. The little kids looked at me and were kinda like "oh crap, I'm sorry," then backed off. But a group of teenagers tried to play with it, and this chick in her mid twenties actually tried to pet it, even after I told her to back off.

It blows my mind how little common sense people have, and how apathetic they are towards something that is most likely dying. Their only care is personal gratification. "Ooh, I want a picture. Ooh I want get up close to it." And after they had their fill, they just walked away. Pathetic.

2. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

yup its horrible. a lot of people don't care whats happening around them they only care how to satisfy their need for entertaiment even if it costs someones life

3. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

So what did you eventually do to help it?

4. Eff

Eff Banned

given that some people really are as you describe and don't give a damn about the sea lion, alot of them have never seen a sea lion and didn't know how to recognize the fact that it needed some help.

anyways, it's hard to judge such an unfinished story...did you or anybody else see to it that the thing got help?

5. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

it doesn't matter that they haven't seen a sea lion, animals aren't objects they have lives just like we do

6. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

This comin from the guy with a suicidal bear in his tar :lol:

7. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Should have called Rent a Club.

8. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

if you must know it is a stuffed bear :cool:

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

It's sad that people are so foolish. Would they do the same to a lion or a shark? No, of course not. But regardless of the animal, we have to share the space and let it go or get it help, hopefully the latter.

I am interested in the end of the story.

10. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Now wait a min. here..sharks? Nah..nope, no can do..cant help'em sorry. They want me..this I know. :eek:
    I mean when I see a snake..its as good as dead, if possible. I go out of my way to kill them. As with "most" spiders.
    Now this being a sea lion..ya I would want to help it but, this is nature. On these nature shows they let nature takes its place, never stepping in the way. I would do something if they were throwing rocks at it, but I wouldn't go to far out of the way to help it..only defend it from stupid humans.

11. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Why can't mother nature do us a favor and beach a deadly critter?

12. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Far as I'm concerened, the only good sea lion is a dead one. They kill fishermen. Anybody that wants to try to verify that (good luck) needs to go research the long history of sea lions taking over the docks on Kodiak and occasionally killing the fishermen.

Not to mention they make really good coats :thumbsup:

13. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

*hands freemason a fishing pole and points north*
    kidding :lol:

14. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

To finish the story...

I spent about 2 hours down there hanging out by it. My sister went back to the house and made some phone calls. After a while when no one showed up I walked up to the park check in and told the guy there what was going on. He said he'd try to get a hold of Sea World's after hours desk and the life guards. By the time I got back to the sea lion, there was a lifeguard jeep parked there and the lifeguards were keeping people away. They said they were going to hang out until Sea World showed up (but as Sea World deals with the coast from Mexico up to Oceanside, they were a little shorthanded). There wasn't much more I could do, and I was feeling quite sun roasted by then, so I left it in their hands.

15. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Hell no! 5 years on Kodiak was long enough. The winter there is why I now live in a desert. Come on 100F days!!! :clap:

16. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

Yes.

Wait what was the rest of the story/post?

*reads*

Christ. That is horrible.

My answer stands.

17. Eff

Eff Banned

gah, that's true. i don't blame some of the people who gathered around for not realizing it was in distress not going for help, but i agree that the people bothering it suck

18. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

"Welcome Neo, to the real world"...

If I had to risk, I'd say around 70% of the world I composed solely by morrons and egocentric idiots...
    They don't really care if something other than themselfs is dieing... From your story, I'm actually surprised they didn't start throwing things at it...

You're on this board? It's me DA..lol
    And...I'd rather mother nature beached a couple landmines... I'd just stand there telling people to "punch the seaweed"...

19. Wrathchild

Wrathchild IncGamers Member

most people are just so curious theyll just forget everything else. same when lets say a person gets badly hurt in some accident. everyone stops in their curiosity to watch, and soon theres like 50 ppl around the place, all staring and blinking not realizing their on the way.
    curiosity of humans is sometimes sick imo :(

20. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

omg apathy!