Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are javelins considered spears when you use them in melee? <

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by wheel-of-doom, Oct 18, 2006.

1. wheel-of-doom

wheel-of-doom IncGamers Member

Are javelins considered spears when you use them in melee?

I was wondering this because I have a ww barb that used a botd warpike, however he lacks in resistances and this is mostly due to not being able to use a shield. Would using some sort of javelins work with spear mastery for my melee damage?

2. TurfTalker

TurfTalker IncGamers Member

Is an axe still an axe if you throw it? Or does it then become a flying axe?:scratch:

Oh, the answer to your question is no. A javelin is a javelin is a javelin.

3. Costanza

Costanza IncGamers Member

>Turftalker

You are wrong!

4. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

Although Axe mastery does apply to meleeing with throwing axes, as they are an axe-class weapon, Spear mastery does not apply to Javelins in melee as they are a javelin class weapon...

Mind you, mace mastery applies to staves, and they are a Staff class weapon...

I am not 100%confident about spear mastery not applying to javelins. I suggest you check it.

Laz

5. Costanza

Costanza IncGamers Member

Javelins are somehow considered spears when used in melee, so yes spear mastery do work. I know beacuse I have used it on my ww/throw hybrid. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

6. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Javelins will benefit from Spear Mastery when used with a melee attack.
    Javelins will benefit from Throwing Mastery when thrown.

Throwing Axes will benefit from Axe Mastery when used with a melee attack.
    Throwing Axes will benefit from Throwing mastery when thrown.

Javelins and Throwing Axes will not benefit from both masteries at the same time. It's either one or the other, depending on what action is used.

7. wheel-of-doom

Actually I figured it out on my own. And a javelin is indeed considered a spear when used in melee. I went to act 1 norm, bought a regular throwing spear, and a regular spear, my attack rating was the same with both.

The odd thing was that the max damage on both was 15, yet for some odd reason the spear did 76 max damage and the throwing spear did 84 max. Either way I probably could have saved some time by just doing this test earlier.

Thanks for atleast giving my thread attention.

Thats nice to know Eilo, thank you.

And this brings me to another question. Does the quantity of (whatever item it is) become the durability when used in melee?

8. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Yup. This makes it a big favorite among Ironman D2 players, because a stack of throwing weapons can last for AGES without being repaired when you're using them in melee.

Also, a fun little fact in the whole "Javelins count as spears" file that not a lot of people are aware of... did you know that you can actually equip A2 Mercs with Javelins? Not that there's much reason to, since Spears are much better than Javs, it's just a fun little didjaknow.

9. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

For a while a few years ago I had an ethereal unique Balrog Spear on a merc. I forget the name of it, but the damage was good, and it had great life leech! I replaced it with an eth Bonehew I found and put some nice jewels in it. Using javs on an Act2 merc instead of two handed spears or polearms is a lot like using one handed swords on Act5 mercs instead of two handers. Plenty of good mods, but not as much damage.

10. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Dexterity adds weapon damage to javalins.

11. wheel-of-doom

Allright thanks guys, that answers all my questions. Now i just have to set out finding a good damage eth javelin that hits the last ww breakpoint. Because I have eth demon archs and the damage on them is puny(compared to my warpike) and they don't hit the last breakpoint.