Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are Iron Wolves a lost cause ?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by MaskOfSeasons, Mar 6, 2004.

1. MaskOfSeasons

MaskOfSeasons IncGamers Member

Are Iron Wolves a lost cause ?

Well the title says it all. I always liked there look, names, and abilities, yet they always failed to do massive damage unlike the Act 2 Mercs which have been used for ever by most classes. Now I know the cold act 3 merc can be useful because of the slow effect but the point of this post is to get the MOST damage out of them.

Here are the ideas I read over in other posts summarized:

Lightning:
    Griffon's Eye with Lightning Facet
    Crescent Moon Runeword
    Ormus (Charged Bolt or Lightning) with Lightning facet
    4 Socket Shield with 4 Lightning Facet

Fire:
    Hand of Justice Runeword
    Ormus (Fireball or inferno) with Fire Facet
    3 Socket Helm with 3 Fire Facet
    4 Socket Shield with 4 Fire Facet

Which results in: (If everything at max)
    Lightning: +1 to skills (+3 to Lightning or Charged Bolt)
    -85% to Enemy Lightning Resist
    +60% to Lightning Skill Damage
    6x Cast Lvl 47 Chain Lightning when he dies

Fire: +3 to Fireball or Inferno
    -60% to Enemy Fire Resist
    +50% to Fire Skill Damage
    8x Cast lvl 48 Meteor when he dies

And of course for all of those there is always the possibility of putting facets everywhere (not sure about the +to skills):

3 socket Circlet with 3 facets and +3 to skill tree
    4 socket Armor with 4 facets
    6 socket Phase Blade with 6 facets
    4 socket Shield with 4 facets

Ouch:
    +3 to skills
    -85% to enemy resistance
    +85% to elemental skill damage
    17x cast lvl XX Spell when he dies

OUCH

Thanks for any input

2. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

I also want to like them, but recently switched from a Cold Iron Wolf to a Holy Freeze Guard because the former just wasn't helping much.

I think the biggest reason to use one is the extra places to but MF because they use a 1H sword and shield. If you are looking for slowing the monsters and doing damage, the guards and barbarians are probably better bets.

3. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, The 'chance to cast when you die' facets don't work like that, Instead it will give you a 600% chance to cast lvl 47 chain lightning when he dies... which is no better than a 100% chance.

The negative damage and the plus damage might help... and still the best thing about skills and spells are the synergies. Since the merc's have no control of their skills their damage is still questionable. Even the lvl 47 chain lightning is nothing compared to a fully synergized Chain lightning.

Too bad too... I remember when they were the schiznit. Now if I want elemental damage I turn to the rogue merc because of the 40% conversion of the fire/cold arrow.

One idea I was toying with was to make an Avenger or a Frostdin with Medusa's gaze and have an Iron Wolf as backup.

4. st-hearts

st-hearts IncGamers Member

+3 to a specific skill tree (like +3 cold skills) can only spawn on magic items. Magic items can only get up to 2 sockets.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/circlets.shtml

As you can see from the Arreat Summit, you only get 3 sockets from Tiaras and Diadems. Also, there are no Unique Tiaras or Diadems with 3 sockets, so the most you could ever get is two since rares can spawn with a Mechanic's mod.

~Hearts~

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Without synergies between their spells and no spell masteries like the sorc, an iron wolf's damage becomes non-existent past early nightmare. Cannon fodder, nothing more.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO iron wolves are too stupid for spellcasting.

If the cold wolves would at least start targeting other foes after they froze one, they might be a little useful. Anyway, the main purpose of a merc is to do something your character cannot do, for example tanking (act 2 or 5 merc), providing nice/nasty effects of friends/foes (act 2), inflicing nasty spell effects from equipment (Reaper's Toll is best IMO -> act 2).

That means: Act 1 and 3 merc - 0 points, act 5 merc - 1 point, act 2 merc - 3 points

7. Chaldan

Chaldan IncGamers Member

Give rogues some credit, the can use amp bows/delirium helms to good effect. Also they use Inner Sight and while not very powerful, it might nudge up your to-hit with a percent or two

8. MaskOfSeasons

MaskOfSeasons IncGamers Member

Do we know if synergies are working on them ? Lightning and Charged Bolt could give some hope ...

My other question is about facets, if you are a fire sorc and use a fire facet. When the lvl 48 meteor falls, will it get the synergies and/or fire mastery bonus, since 'you' casted it in a way ?

9. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Lightning and charged bolt, and Glacier spike and Ice bolt... fire... doesn't...Fireball and Inferno....

Still the damage is negligible without lightning, cold, or fire mastery.

I remember reading somewhere that they took off the skill caps for A3 mercs... but have you compared partially synergized high level skills vs. fully synergized capped skills with a mastery? I think I ran the numbers with lightning and fully synergized was x3 more damaging than a high level lightning & charged bolt by themselves.

For blizzard to really beef them up they'd either have to get their skill bonuses really up there or they would need to create entirely new skills not dependent on the Sorceress's skills (i.e. big D's red lightning)

10. prion

prion IncGamers Member

for a melee character, the cold mage might do okay, freezing some monsetrs, if you can kill them quickly. You just need to kill what he's working on to get him to change targets.

yeah, it would be great if they had some sense instead of spaming ice blast on Duriel. but i guess they need another skill too. Maybe throwing acid potions :)