Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are hunters still viable?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Darkist Reign, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Darkist Reign

Darkist Reign Banned

Are hunters still viable?

I was looking through the strat comp and came across the 1.09 hunter guide. I was wondering, all things considering (new runewords and such) are they still viable?I wanna see how fun they are. Any ideas?

Travis

2. Gaming at work

Gaming at work IncGamers Member

So Strange...

I was litteraly brought to the forum for the same purpose. I built a hunter up to about lvl 22 before .10. Didn't do much with him until recently. He's at lvl 32 now and doing quite well in NM. I noticed the same thing noted in other threads: Hunters don't kill quickly, but they are hell on boss' due to the ability of recast.

But this forum is the best for thoughtfull advice on builds so I came to learn, too. I'm enjoying the hunter build for the challenge. My guess is this build is more of an artform rather than a killing machine.

3. lucrativelyrics

lucrativelyrics IncGamers Member

hunter i feel can be viable but they will lack natural grace with the bow.

maxed summons makes griz a killer but a definate threat and i was thinkin maxed how with widowmaker ???? ( 4 to guided :) ) sounds good to me , ill be making a hunter lets here some feedback people

4. Darkist Reign

Darkist Reign Banned

The problem I've heard with widdow maker is that it has low physical damage, an Eagle horn might be a better pick (ITD/AR)

Travis

5. FenrisWulf

FenrisWulf IncGamers Member

I can't tell this from the description on the Arreat Summit, but does Widowmaker add +3-5 Guided Arrow for all classes, or just for the Amazon? This certainly would make it an interesting bow to us, but otherwise, Eaglehorn is certainly on par (missing Deadly Strike, slower, and uses Arrows, but has much more damage and adds Dexterity).

Darkist, as to your original question: I definitely think that Hunters are extremely viable (and fun!) in 1.10, but I may be a bit biased. :p I imported a clvl 85 Hunter from 1.09 and ran him through his paces, tackling Hell Andarial, Mephisto, Diablo, Ancients, Baal, and the Diablo Clone, and he passed all of them with flying colors (no deaths, at least :p). His items are nice, but not top-end; no 1.10 Runewords or Uniques, for instance. I'm also currently running a Huntermentalist through HC Ladder; he's at clvl 61 and doing quite well in NM Act V.

There are a couple of changes from the Hunter guide on this site that may be worth mentioning; I haven't found the time nor motivation to actually reformat the guide myself, in large part because I'm clueless about the new item situation in 1.10. But here's how I responded to someone asking about updating the Hunter guide a while back:

Further input in a related thread in the Amazon Basin:

* Heart of Wolverine may be a more appropriate choice (for a SC Hunter, at least), because you shouldn't need the life as much if you use your Summons well, and AR is always good.

* On that note, our Summons have much more life these days, thanks both to the increased base life (I'll get the exact numbers next chance I have) and the improved Dire Wolf bonus (+25% per level). In fact, the stats seem to have been improved across the board. Thanks, Blizzard!

* Ravens' Chance to Blind is also dependent on your character's level.

* Demon Limb works in the place of Lava Gouts for Enchant, and quite well. Credit to Syl_Aran for the idea.

* Summon resistances are granted only to the minion with the points invested--I'm not sure I made that clear. So a traditional 20 Dire Wolf/1 Grizzly allotment for a Grizzly tank would give the Dire Wolves tons of resistances, and the Grizzly almost none.

Hope that helps a bit.

6. wolfstar

wolfstar IncGamers Member

Just wondering if using a throwing weapon such as the grimmershed much better than a bow for the hunter? WIth the throwing weapon, a shield can be used for blocking. Isnt that better?

7. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

Well, if you realize that you must use then a Tiamat's rebuke and put a nice elemental damage jewel in it, then I would say you are in the clear if you go OSage and lots of summons skills. (plus a lot of elemental sc's)

HOwever, if you go HoW...

definitely not.

HoWolverine gives a good boost to Damage, it needs raw physical weapon to excel.

Widowmaker could be good if you had somee ED% jewels in armour spots.

Upgraded Goldstrike with good stats on it, plus a Shael would be excellent. Ias is hard to add to this build if you want to keep it +skills for summons, so goldstrike upgradaded with a shael puts you on the right track.

I have an upgraded perfect Kuko. I am waiting for it get to non-ladder so i can put in a 40%ed15% ias jewel to make it shining and glorious.

I realized that with a hunter, you must first max dire and grizz and How before you begin to consider what bow and charms you will use.

I am not done with mine but i have made some major revisions in what he will wear. Rattlecage armour is a great choice for crushing blow and its terror effect for the first 60 levels easy. plus its purple with a purple kuko (not the upgraded one, my guy is non lad.)

Consider a Might merc, your grizzly will go psychotic with a might merc, and so will your damage combined with max HoW.

POISON CREEPER:
    er, well, if you go more personal damage, dont bother. if you go more summons power, he rox. max him out and then heap on 10 skills+, he keeps the whole screen poisoned and there is NO DOUBT he does the listed damage over a much shorter duration upon reinfection. (more damage than you would figure by reading his description. he stops monster regeneration quite well. Remember: there arent that many PI's anymore, the ones that are, they are often Undead, undead have huge poison resistance, therefore, intentions of using poison charms for this build are not as a good idea as using fire charms and lighting, or Max/ar charms.

What would be really sick is to get a CTA stick and prebuff Battle orders on your team. :D

reapers toll on a merc would make this trully rock. but alas its a rare item.

8. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

Here's where people go wrong with the hunter... you don't need more physical damage, what you really need is elemental damage. I can't stress this enough. Even if you play with an atma's scarab or some other item with chance to cast amp, and you can break every monster's phys immunity, elemental damage is still the better choice on your bow and equipment. Why? Because your summons and merc already do tons of phys damage. Believe me, you will kill slowly in hell (if at all) by concentrating on physical damage. This is what makes kuko such an attractive choice. To add to FenrisWulf's comments, the only option for HC with this build is oak sage. Don't even consider HoW unless you feel like starting over, because you will get pounded. HoW doesn't give as much benefit as Oak anyway, point for point.

Another great thing about the hunter is that summon synergies extend past lvl 20 (one of the very few - maybe only - classes to have this bonus). Overlord necros are still more powerful in the minions/killing department, what with more minions and natural amping ability, but the hunter is a close second.

9. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

Skellies are very quick and smart, so are furries, but furies are very limited in number.
    could it ever be possible that an average person could have 1-40+ lightning small charms and 50+ fire lc's ? i ripped off several people for them (they didnt think i was even after saying i might be) and it was difficult to find those people, several days of searching.

you would need like 500 fire damage, very fast kuko setup, razortail, and max summons.

you still probably wouldnt hurt stuff much in a multi hell game, not 8 players (i mean who really plays for fun in 8 players??) but i mean 2-4 players hell games. rather rough.

now if you said Heart of wolverine to boost your summons phys damage, i might be thinking you have a good plan, elemental+ exploding arrows plus pierce, summons augmented in power....

but you dont. man, you might be able to get this to work, but consider that a druid with a level 30 heart of the oak gives 223% enhanced damage.... and +228% AR. thats HUGE!! Consider using an upgraded unique bow or an Eaglehorn with that setup. Very hard hits, a few to kill most things, 1-2 for normal situations.