Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are Expectations to High for Blizzcon and Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by theeliminator, Oct 16, 2010.

1. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Are Expectations to High for Blizzcon and Diablo 3?

The main reason for this thread is to ease some of the expectations leading up to Blizzcon next week. I find (in all things in life) if you lower your expectations you can be happy with the outcome.

The game will never be perfect, especially in the eyes of the rabid fans. This is one of the major factors to peoples over reaction to any bit of news they don't like. They blow something as small as one helm into "O God why me, they are ruining MY game." If these people didn't expect so much they wouldn't get so angry.

D3 can NEVER live up to what you want, youth nostalgia is to strong for Blizzard to conquer. How can any company over come nostalgia? When we were younger we didn't expect anything from games, we enjoyed them for what they were. As we have gotten older we look back on the days where we could sit and play games all weekend long with such fondness that any good game we played was brought to a state of Divine gifts.

I bet everyone could name a game that they played when they were younger that other people think wasn't that good only due to the individuals age. What I thought was great when I was 10, three years later another ten year old might think that game isn't that great, and vice verse. (Take Final Fantasy 6 and FF7 as an examples)

I have an exercise I like to do before seeing a big hyped movie. I point out all the bad things I have read or seen about the film. Then I go and see the movie. With my expectations so low the movie is bound to turn out better then I thought it would. What would have been a moment of regret and disappointment becomes a moment of joy and satisfaction.

Maybe Jay Wilson could have used this logic in the Gamescom interviews, he should have said "this isn't going to be a good blizzcon for D3" Would that have been dirty pool or just a way to lower expectations for blizzcon so that the real announcements will have more impact?

Let us post mundane things that they could announce at blizzcon as their big reveals.

Opening ceremony begins, Diablo 3 shows all the same footage we have seen before. Then Jay Wilson walks on stage and says. Our big news for this blizzcon is... We have decided to have 16 different dyes instead of 15.

So with that said let us be more "realistic" and temper our excitement.:coffee:

2. Davidus

Davidus Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Are Expectations to High for Blizzcon and Diablo 3?

all i need is the 5th class and a 2011 release announcement. everything else is a bonus:p

3. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Too high expectations? Welcome to sequels.

4. PsycheNoob

PsycheNoob Diabloii.Net Member

Development of Diablo 3 has been cancelled/postponed indefinately due to relentless *****ing and trolling on official forums and elsewhere on the web.

We have decided to scrap the entire art direction, switch to 2D and completely revamp the items, heroes and skills, because 'Fans' think they resemble too much of a particular release of blizzard released several years earlier.

No more rainbows, Yogi bears,TERRIBLE GRAPHICS,failed classes like WD, silly helms and ridiciously big shoulder pads. The games graphics and images will be mostly based on photoshopped images(from Alpha stages) made by 'fans' who have been, igniting flamewars all over the forums on different aspects of the game since it was announced- yea u guessed it 2 years ago.

Now tell me are my excpetations too high?:whistling:

5. Toetag

Toetag Diabloii.Net Member

"Due to creative differences, we've replaced the entire developmental team with new fresh eyes and fresh perspectives. As a result, Diablo 3 will take longer to be released than previously expected by Blizzard Entertainment."

This would actually be quite a bombshell, just not in a good way.

TOE

6. Jimbob

Jimbob Diabloii.Net Member

There is no reason why people shouldn't have high expectations. The fans deserve it. We buy their games. It's been 10 years since the last Diablo game, we deserve good info and awesome announcements. I think what fans need to prepare for is that the info they want or the big announcement they want it may not be what they want. Like for example, "YEA, they announced the 5th class, oh it's a rogue, well, cool, I guess..." We just need to prepare ourselves for that. Other than that though we do deserve a big announcement and that is what the Blizzcon is for. They will announce something big, but not everybody is really going to be that excited for it when they see it.

As for a possible beta or release date, if they did announce one that would be cool, but everyone should know by now that Blizzard doesn't announce that type of stuff until their like 6 months away from releasing the game.

I think what we can't expect is for the game to be revolutionary even if this Blizzcon tries to sale it like it will be. I had those expectations for Starcraft 2 WoL and it certainly wasn't anything revolutionary. A good game, but not great like I thought it would be.

7. Monster

Monster Diabloii.Net Member

Are Expectations too High for Blizzcon and Diablo 3?

I would say yes. Hmmmm, I wonder who's fault that is?

8. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

I would say expectations are way too high for Diablo 3 with the design "document" they've laid in front of us.

Probably too low for Blizzcon. I'm always shocked by how over the top Blizzcon is. Not saying its a bad thing. Its kind of cool and I like to see an entertainment software company able to flex that much muscle.

9. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo 3 will cure the global economic crisis, restore the credit markets, end all foreclosures, end unemployment, and makes your penis larger.

At Blizzcon, Tenacious D will perform and unveil their new keyboardist, a risen Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This forum (and the Blizzard forums), will be disappointed, b/c the Wizard will still have a goofy looking hat.

10. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

"Meet the new lead designer for Diablo 3 ... Bobby Kotick."

Seriously, I have played most Blizzard games except WOW, all of them are excellent. It is understandable for fans to have high expectations.

11. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I don't know why but this thread just aggravates me incredibly.

Expectations about Diablo 3 have never been so low, ever. Basically the only thing people expect (want) to see is the announcement of the fifth class and just hope its not an instant fail. How much lower does Blizzard want our expectations about the game to be? And i mean seriously "lower your expectations so you'll be happy with a crappy outcome" is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Wow, i mean, i'm used to apologists when dealing with raving fans, but now people already start to apologize for stuff BEFORE they happen.
    Good one.

Why are you pretending to know what each and every person wants? I know what i want, to have some of that Diablo magic no other game has, if you are telling me its impossible for Diablo 3 to have essential elements of what makes Diablo a game known as Diablo, then i guess the game is doomed to fail.

Bull****, a lot of games today are being dumbed down to please a large pool of casual gamers, a lot of games are trading in their unique identity in favor of a uniform design. Games then sold because they were different and pleased a certain niche and excelled at what they did. Now games fail if they don't outsell blockbuster Hollywood movies. Don't tell me its all just nostalgia, don't tell me it doesn't come at the cost of quality.

So, you're telling me i should expect a turd and then be happy the game doesn't outright stink?

You're an idiot.

Lets not as its obviously retarded.

I don't give a **** about dyes, what the **** are you on about?
    I'm expecting to see actual in-depth stuff about the game that matters, **** dyes.

12. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

Then you should probably wait to reply when you're not irritated.

13. theeliminator

Once again Doppel you prove to everyone how unintelligent and immature you are with your remarks.

You have nothing but hate and anger, I feel sorry for you.

14. chillietaco

chillietaco Diabloii.Net Member

I agree about games seeming better when you played them as a yongster. I Loved the C&C red alert games then found out later in life that they "take no skill" and are "just about spamming units".

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  15. GoldenBird

GoldenBird Diabloii.Net Member

You just admitted to what he said. You want that "Diablo magic" reminiscent from the other Diablo games. That's nostalgia.

Again, you just admitted to what he said. He said that we didn't except anything special from games and didn't have high standards for them, and thus played and enjoyed them regardless of whether or not it was that good. You said that games change and become uniform to meet expectations, AKA we now expect certain standards and won't play anything else. In other words, before these standards didn't matter. Oh wait, that's what theeliminator said in the first place.
    He's using dyes as an example, as a metaphor. Don't freak out on him because he used a metaphor using dyes, lol.

16. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Agh, stfu, this thread is ridiculous and you know it. I mean honestly, you'd think Blizzard to be glad when fans are excited about the game and expect it to become great. But no, lets all be quite and expect it to be a turd just so fanboys with backwards ideas and logics like you don't get butthurt when someone has a criticism to make. You want some fake pessimism now just so you can have some fake positivism later, is that it? You think of yourself as some kind of loyal Blizzard fan, but if you think you're doing Blizzard any favors then you're very wrong.

@Goldenbird: I'm talking about what makes Diablo a unique game, obviously you can only know this if you actually played the games. Just calling it "nostalgia" and dismissing it as something Blizzard doesn't need to strive for as it's "too difficult to conquer" or whatever he's saying, is really too easy.
    And i know its a metaphor, it's a metaphor for irrelevant stuff which isn't that important. Kinda like those hats he's talking about, but then something people can't (dis)like. Convenient ain't it.

17. theeliminator

First off I don't shy away from criticism, but no one needs to respond to someone that just insults people when he can't correlate a cohesive paragraph with out using curse words like you.

I have never said I like the helm of the Wiz, in fact I don't like the look, but do i have a temper tantrum cause its not aligned perfectly with what I would like, no.

Blizzard will listen to 1 person like me before they take 1 word of advice from 10 people like you.

You nor anyone without first hand experience can say the game is garbage.

You sit there and judge the game like you know everything about it. I on the other hand can see that the game isn't done and that things can and will change, so until the game is out there is no reason to take your hard stance on whats wrong.

So if you can't say anything with a modicum of civility I would ask you not to post on this thread anymore. thank you.

18. permaximum

permaximum Banned

No. Actually they are low.

19. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

Some have too high of expectations, some have too low of expectations.

I don't really have any expectations, I just want to hear something new about D3. I don't care if its something bad or good, big news or small news, I just want to hear new info.

20. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

My expectations are rock bottom, not because i try to use some meta crap about lowering my expectations so i wont be disappointed.
    But because nothing i seen yet has told me its going to be a good game, so far it has felt like any generic arpg out there. Heck it even feel and look quite like a few action mmo out there.

Can it become a
    good game? that remains to be seen, blizzcon will either raise expectations or lower them further.

@theeliminator if no criticism retch blizzard on the things we as the playerbase think is less good how do you expect them to know that the playerbase think its not such a great idea?

sometimes those of you that use the phrase Its not done wait and see it will be awsome

or

if you have not played the game you cant judge it or criticize it

Are you really that naive? or are you just used to let others decide what you like or not?

Criticism exists to give feedback on something another person have done. Its up to the person that gets the criticism to choose if they will take that criticism to heart or not, but unless they get any criticism they wont get feedback on things that in this case the playerbase might not like.

Or would you rather have a world without criticism? think about all the problems that would result in for a second.

edit: :/ just watched an dungeon siege 3 interview and it seems the idea of health orbs are spreading to that game as well.....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010