Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are 'chest runs' this hot or is it just the beginner's luck? der=0

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Repusz, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

Are 'chest runs' this hot or is it just the beginner's luck?

Hi all,

I've had some strange experiences yesterday and today. I read the guide of rune hunting and noticed that opening shiney chests on p8 can be very rewarding. I haven't noticed that there is any fuss made about it but nevertheless, I thought I would give it a try. The results were overwhelming:
    In around 5 hours of running the Drifter Cavern chest I got the following:

- Ist rune
    - Um rune
    - unique Lich Wand
    - unique Ward Bow
    - unique Vambraces
    - unique Manchater

among other countless unique drops (generally 3 in 1 drop) and the TC87 items just keep dropping in blue or white form (Diadems for example :eek: ).
    I wonder what are your experiences like? Am I just plain lucky and should bless the gods of Sanctuary for spoiling me like that, or is this a common thing to happen? You see, I can hardly imagine a more fruiting 5 hours MF session...

Repusz

2. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Thats some really good luck, how many "uber" chests did you open?

And no thats not typical for uber chest to give that much good stuff quickly, they do produce alot of gold and rares though.

3. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

it is all about luck/coincidence (thats the atheistic view :) ).
    my chest drops haven't been that uber, but i haven't spent that much time running chests (i get bored after awhile).

i once had a nice super-chest drop in pits L2 where i got 3 uniques in one drop, all crap but burlywood :)

and i found a vex in a chest in lower kurast - that's the 2nd highest rune i've ever found - but i haven't got any rare sets/uniques from chests until now. i prefer farming mephi/pindle/baal or running lvl85 areas to get my items.

keep on running!

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I think you were really lucky. Some time ago I popped 220 hell act 5 chests on p8 and best runes I got were Ko and Sol IIRC. I didn't find any uniques/sets worth mentioning either

5. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Never found anything good from those chests, ever. Just crap magical items+ gold + potions.

6. Arewyn

Arewyn IncGamers Member

Best I've found off a chest are a Gul rune and a Pul rune, but I'd take an Ist and Um over those anyday *shakes fist* :p

7. Llathias

Llathias Banned

here comes the flame...

8. Arewyn

Arewyn IncGamers Member

I must be lost, because why would people of the SPF flame for good drops?

9. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

It has been known to happen...Sometimes things just sounds too good to be true. This was not a reference to you Repusz:) Congratulations that's some pretty nice finds!

10. Arewyn

Arewyn IncGamers Member

Well I can understand if someone new came and said something like this

"omg i jus fund a zod w/ mi tyreils mite of a chest a i waz wunderin how gud of drpz thos r 2 u guyz???"

I can hardly read what I just typed o.o;;

11. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Blames durf

12. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

I am not afraid of being flamed, that would be the last post I would read on these forums if some of the estabilished members started flaming me for sg like*this* :)
    I took screenies of all the drops but the Vambrace: it took 5 deaths and almost all of my gold to get back my corpse and the items from the chest. A unique ammy dropped along with it, and those me make *hot* all the time :) (turned out to be Nokozan's of course...).
    In the next 2 hours btw I got a Pul, a unique Dusk Shroud and another Widowmaker (speaking of map seeds...). 200% ED +3 GA, frist was 150% ED. Now I don't dare to exit the game in fear of losing this string :eek:
    So nobody does uber chest running despite how clearly it is described in the Rune Hunter Guide that they are the potentially best source of Ist - Zod drops?
    Strange.

Repusz

13. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Chest drops can be quite good - but as with everything in this game, luck counts a huge amount in the short-term and time spent opening chests is all that matters in the long-term.

14. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

Well, it mostly happen when someone claims something highly impossible or totally impossible. i.e Just found a Cham in LK (wrong it can't drop there) or Just found a tyreal and Zod in a baal run (possible but you'd win around 10 time at the lottery before it happen :D ). However, repusv claims are totally believeable (sp?), so Congrats dude :thumbsup:

15. TalkingDonkey

TalkingDonkey IncGamers Member

That's some really good luck Repusz. I've put a decent amount of time in to P8 chest runs, and the odds of getting one Ist-Zod rune within the first 100 runes you find from an act 5 super sparkly chest is only 16%. So essentially you had a really great start. As for the uniques, 2% of super sparkly chest runs will have an all unique chest. Yours just happened to be high end. Hopefully you continue to be lucky. :)

Edit: I've only found a Fal and several Shaels from my chest runs so far. And the best unique I picked up was a ravenfrost.

16. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

I don't see any reason to flame this either. 5 hours is alt of time and while I agree that you were lucky, most of us I from time to time.

How long did each chest run take? Also what char, how much MF?

Keep goingwith the DC runs, just give us a little time and we'll have 100 different two letter acronym runs.

17. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

20-60 seconds :rolleyes:, not counting deaths. Chest running is the most dangerous MF method, believe me. Since you do it on players 8, and trying to be as fast as possible, your merc has to face all the monsters on his own. Once he is dead, I have like 0.257 sec before following his fate... The main problem with these runs is that you get so many drops at once that you actuallly spend more time on picking up gold and junk in order to be able to see all the items popping from the chest.
    The char is a sorc, full survivor gear, low MF (at most 150% IIRC). I wonder how many uniques I would get with 500%+ :)
    The interesting part is how much the drops of an uber chest are connected. You can get all unique or all cracked drops (the latter is cool: sg like cracked Berserker Axe, Runic Talons, Succubus Skull etc... next to each other).
    Then there are the single good quality drops (the only non-misc item being a set or unique), the all unique drop (at most 3 at a time so far) and the annoying: "bunch of white and blue, single gold in the middle of the pack" type drops. I almost didn't notice the Boneshade in the junkpile atop it...

Repusz

18. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

Errr...Repusz, if you're running the sparkly chests...I remember Thrugg telling us that players settings doesn't matter for sparkly chests. (It does for normal chests though.) You might be making your runs too hard for yourself.

19. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Having higher players setting definitely helps. Just try yourself. Im pretty sure it is MF which doesn't help at all with sparky chests

20. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

I do hope that Neck is wrong here...:teeth:
    Would somebody answer this question so that I may sleep peacefully tonight? :confused:
    I see some vets lurking who probably know the answer but it seems they prefer sheltering themselves :cool: ;)

Repusz