Are charms back in D3?

GhostRidah

Diabloii.Net Member
Are charms back in D3?

What's the latest word on charms? I don't remember hearing anything about it for quite some time now. Can anyone shed some light here?

I loved the addition of Charms in Diablo 2 LOD and i think it's a cool way for someone to actively change their character beyond just skills and armor/weapons.

Thanks in advance

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Are charms back in D3?

IIR, it was something they might consider, but haven't focused on yet, if they even will.

GoTarO

Diabloii.Net Member

Charms, as inventory items, are ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if there were extra gear slots for charms, though. It might be kind of cool to see a Witch Doctor with charms on the wrist/belt (or whatever).

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

yeah i am fine with charms or whatever as an equipable item, i dont want anything sitting around my inventory

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

I can totally picture a Witch Doctor with a monkey's paw or something as a stylized charm you can equip.

reddude

Diabloii.Net Member

yeah i am fine with charms or whatever as an equipable item, i dont want anything sitting around my inventory
This. Do I ever hate charms. They are cool, but the fact that to be a "top" pvper (Gear wise) you have to spend mountains of runes on a single small charm, one of the 40+ that will fill your inventory.

If you could have a couple charm slots, maybe 2 right under your ring slot, and you can only equip charms here. That would be cool, and force you to think alot about which charms you want to use

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

The cost is due to them being rare. The ones that cost mountains are the completely perfect rolls, which don't grow on trees ;)

ThomasJ

Diabloii.Net Member

If I recall charms took up 5-6 inventory slots. I'll pass on the charms if that is the case or please make them smaller if we even having any this time around.

I don't want charms back with the same system. It was something i didn't like in LoD. If Blizz want to implement them again they should find an another way. I think Bashiok said something like this also.

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

As a concept, charms were nice. Except for the part where they take up precious inventory space, that was kind of dumb. In an ARPG that revolves around finding and picking up items, you really want the player to be able to quickly pick up said items and that isn't easy when the charm design effectively encourages players to hoard charms in exchange for passive stat bonuses (esp. on higher difficulty settings).

I would've preferred if we had 4 slots reserved for charms, where we could hold 1 grand and 1 small, or 2 large, or 4 small and so on. That way the whole charm collecting thing wouldn't have gotten out of hand and we still would have some inventory space. I wouldn't mind such a system in D3, but ideally not something that conflicts with the player's rather limited inventory.

I agree with Moonfrost. I meant the inventory space problem charms brang.

I also find his suggestion a good one.

Leugi

Diabloii.Net Member

Well... It certainly was a bad system due to the inventory-consuming issue... Which was already pointed out...

I guess that the so-known yet so-unkown feature of the Talisman might relate to a buffing-your-character system similar to the charms but in a not so inventory-consuming manner...

It's just a guess though, Bashiok did point out that if charms are in they'd be reworked...

---------

I agree with Moonfrost.
Oh my.... The world's gonna end!

I too thought it could be Talisman.

I don't agree with Moonfrost often but there are times i agree with him too. It wasn't the first and it won't be the last.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member

I love charms. As much depth as possible.

However, I agree that we should have a separate area for active charms. Make it part of our stash so we can just slot them and then go. If they are updated such that we may sometimes want to change them around, make our charm menu and available charms available from anywhere at all times.

psyadam

Diabloii.Net Member

Am I the only one that hopes that they have it, (perhaps with some minor innovations), just the same as it was in D2? I think they nailed it. But that brings up another question, I think an earlier poster said that there were something like 40 slots in a players inventory. I wonder how many slots there will be in d3?

edit: hmmm... this page (http://www.diablowiki.net/Inventory) makes me think that it will be 40 slots again.

spellcheq

Diabloii.Net Member

well why not make separate inventory space just for charms...

like how in WoW blizz decided to make a separate key space for holding keys.