Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are any 3rd party apps at all allowed for d2?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by evev, Jul 14, 2008.

1. evev

evev IncGamers Member

Are any 3rd party apps at all allowed for d2?

My biggest question was about utilities like changing the color of your name or the name of items that dropped to the ground. Is that allowed? Or stuff like automating emptying/filling up the cube? I keep magic rings/ammys in mine and if I want to cube something up it's a pain to remove them all and then put them all back. Finally is it allowed to reskin monsters or items? Since it's done client-side I don't think there's a problem but I wanted to ask.

Just looking to see if any of the above is allowed. Yes or no is fine. I'm looking to play legit because I see no way to trust online key sellers and I can't be dropping 30 bux on a b-chest whenever blizz decides to clean house. Thanks.

P.S. I know about fast user switching (avail on both Windows and Mac) to run two instances of Diablo 2 for mueling stuff, but can you do that with having only one bnet account? How about with only one set of CD keys? I'm unsure if you can create more than one bnet account with only one set of keys?

P.P.S. Are apps that automatically "refresh" your characters if you leave for a long time allowed?

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Re: Are any 3rd party apps at all allowed for d2?

Basically, in single player you can do whatever you want as you're not harming anyone (though note we have specific rules regarding SP trading here). Online is a different story and should be played without third party applications. D2 isn't like WoW in that sense. Any third party program or modification used on closed battle.net is at risk of resulting in a ban.

With regards to the fast user switching, you'll need to have 2 sets of Cd-Keys, because battle.net authenticates both. You can use the same battle.net account though. Essentially if you log on with the first user using cd-key xxxxx, and then try to log on with the second user with the same key then it'll say that someone is already using key.

3. evild2player

evild2player IncGamers Member

You can make tons of accounts with one cd key set. Only one person can be online with that one cd key set at a time. Apps that refresh your char automatically are prob 3rd party, thus not being allowed. As for the graphical mods, not sure but I'm leaning more to the allowed side. About the cube thing, not sure how that could be done, but that would probably require something not allowed.

4. evev

evev IncGamers Member

Ahhh, I should have thought of that :p Thanks for clarifying the CD-key thing. If I recall correctly I think that Expansion characters can in no way interact with classic D2 characters as well, correct?

I'm gathering that 3PP that don't try to break the game (via botting or duping) are a grey area where people are on their own. Do you know if Blizzard anywhere writes about 3PP utilities on bnet other than the legalese EULA or that little red blurb when you log in on a character onto bnet? Like, what their written stance is? If it's zero tolerance for anything what so ever I understand too, I'm just trying to see how else I can make playing the game easier and more fun.

Thanks.

5. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

You'll get banned for any 3rd party software. That's pretty much it.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Also, getting caught at using hacks (no matter where the evidence come from and to a certain degree, how old it is) while trading here will lead to a permanent and instant ban on these forums as well.

7. ashbourn

ashbourn IncGamers Member

8. evev

evev IncGamers Member

Well I know that's a lie for one. I read that even though Warden disables Chatbots/Moderator bots they are allowed by the rules as long as they aren't harmful.
    Wow, you guys are really paranoid, huh? Hmm.... Hey kris, I hear Ankeli hax. He scammed me out of some pgems and stuff. Can you ban him for me plz? :jig:

Anyway, I took a look at that link you pasted Joe and I guess I'm uber safe from all those bad things because I'm on a Mac. Seems like unles I want to go modding my own MPQ files no one loves Macs :(

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's not evidence, of course, it's only somebody making unproven statements. Regarding hacking or botting, a screenshot or posting found on a different forum could be evidence, however, and I already banned people for that.

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

If I were you, I would not go around making comments like that, not even as a joke.