Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Archery...again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jan 31, 2004.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Archery...again

Well, after shooting off the good old recurves, I've decided that the bow i want to actually buy will be a composite.
    I've shot occasionally and I guess i'm a pretty good shot but I've never picked my material. Everytime, I do use the same bow but I never learned what makes a good bow.

So for those of you who own bows or are experience archers, could you drop me some hints here?

So I'm looking for a composite bow, one of those fiberglass or carbon or whatever they are made of ones with fancy stuff on them. I'd like to know what to look out for. I hear these bows are much easier to pull than recurves because of devices on them etc... is the weight adjustable? Also, some tips on arrows, the kinds and what they do good and stuff. Are there any brands that are known for archery? I've seen Easton bows but they make baseball bats as well so I don't see how fine their bows can get (I may be wrong, in fact I think I am). But are there any more specific companies that make bows?

PS: No lame windforce or eaglehorn or any jokes of that type, they got old in last time's thread.

2. mudvaynefan

mudvaynefan IncGamers Member

lol i was gonna tell you to get a windforce but then i saw your ps... you ruined my laugh... thanks

ps: just a joke plz dont throw bricks at me, or hit me with a big fish, that seems to be going around lately

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Fine then, *Punches Mudvayne in the throat and pulls down his pants* we can go traditional.

I would first ask do you want a compound bow? The pully system makes it easier to hold the bow string back after a certain point. There are some very nice aluminum compound bows at out local military surplus stores for about 200-500 dollars. But since you probably don't have one around you. (Hell there are two here and people drive more than 4 hours to get to them!) I would now ask what you are looking at shooting. Target only bows are generally less weather and temperature accepting. Hunting bows are basically just tougher all together the accuracy doesn't go down or up but they work more consistant in differing kinds of weather.

Finally Aluminum, fiberglass/carbon, and I have heard a little about a new super plastic bow at scouts. I would go with aluminum if you can afford it.

4. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Well.........what all will you be using it for?

Just targets? Or hunting, if so, what?

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I'm just looking for a recreational bow. Hopefully one day, I'll have the opportunity to hunt some game but mostly I'll be trying to hit targets (or other objects).

So {KOW}, you recommend aluminum? Is there any reason it's better than fiberglass and carbon?
    Also, I know composite bows are easier to pull, I was hoping to set it so that it's actually a little harder to pull so that it'll have a litte more power when i shoot the arrow.

Also, what arrows should i get? I hear of aluminium and carbon, I think i've shot the carbon ones, the ones that split into pieces when they break, correct?
    What about the aluminium ones? What's the difference?

Thanks again.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

7. masterazn

masterazn Banned

i've decided that compounds are too expensive...i'm back on recurves :rolleyes:

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Recurve bows...anyone?

PS: can you add a sight and a stabalizer on a recurve bow?

9. Nword

Nword Banned

Yes, you can add quite a variety of stablizers and sights...

Just watch Olympic Archery contests... those are all recurve IIRC

And the real judgement of a bow is when you've shot it yourself.