Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Build] Arcane Elementalist

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Drixx, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Drixx

Drixx Diabloii.Net Member

[​IMG]

Introduction
    : One of the most important decisions for any wizard build is your choice of a primary damage type. That said, Wizards benefit via passives and gear more than any other classes when it comes to using multiple elements, especially once you manage to get the full Tal Rasha set bonus. This guide is for an Arcane damage focused build that benefits as much as possible from using two or three other elements for additional damage.

Pros:

• Very high damage, scaling with gear acquisition
    • Excellent survivability
    • Viable all the way through Torment 6

Cons:

• Gear Sensitive
    • Build requires adjustments depending on situation

Paragon Points: This build really hits its stride at 400+ paragon points; however, it will work if you are at lower paragon levels. Recommended Paragon point allotments with explanation for each:

Core: 50 points in movement speed first. The reason for putting your first 50 core points into movement speed is that the primary stat position taken up by movement speed on gear is more valuable. 50 paragon points equates to 250 intelligence, while gear pieces can have 550-750 intellect, so movement speed on gear is sub-optimal. Since 1 strength = 1 armor, even armor is more useful on an item than movement speed, since you can always roll more than 250 armor on an item. As soon as you can get your gear rolled without movement speed and use the paragon points instead, do so. After movement speed, the rest of your points should go into Intelligence forever. Hardcore characters may prefer vitality until their gear is completely Best in Slot (BiS).

Offense: Unless you have very low critical hit chance, start with Critical Damage first, then Critical hit Chance, then Cooldown Reduction (CDR suffers from very large diminishing returns).

Defense: This choice comes down to your gear more than anything. Armor is the first stat that is factored into damage mitigation, so if your armor is low you may consider putting points into armor first; however, bear in mind that these paragon points give a percentage modifier, so the higher your base armor, the more impact the +12.5% armor modifier will have. This makes it a bit counter-intuitive. You should go with All Resist if your gear isn't great, and then Armor. Life % and Regen are last.

Utility: Unless you have Life on Hit high enough to survive on your gear (or some other strategy for regenerating life), you will want to do Life on Hit first. Resource cost reduction should be prioritized after your LoH is sufficient.

Skills:

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...uZV9FKzIwODQ3MisyOTgwMzgrMzQyMzI2KzIwODQ3MSsx

Passives:

Astral Presence - This passive gives you some more arcane power to work with, but more importantly moves your base arcane regeneration up from 8 to 10.

Unwavering Will - You will need to learn to use the shift key to keep from moving on misclicks, but once you are good at stopping to clear elite packs, this is a fantastic passive for your toughness (20% to both armor and resistances), in addition to a 10% bonus to damage. This kicks in after standing still for 1.5 seconds.

Elemental Exposure - This passive puts a debuff on every target you hit. You'll get 5% bonus to your damage against enemies for each element you hit them with. This is particularly useful once you have the necessary gear to put multiple elements into play, especially on higher difficulties and against bosses, where the stacking 15-20% damage will be huge.

Glass Cannon - This is a straight 15% damage increase in exchange for a 10% decrease to your armor and resistances.

Alternative Options:

Blur - In higher difficulties you will likely want to swap Glass Cannon out for this passive. It's a straight damage reduction passive.

Audacity - If you are comfortable always staying in 15-yard range to packs and bosses, you can use this instead of Glass cannon. Same damage increase without the penalty to your mitigation; however, 15 yards is a fairly small distance and as such you may need to practice some to use this effectively.

Active Skills:

Left Mouse: Black Hole + Spellsteal This is the best skill to use until you can get a good Mirrorball source that adds 2 magic missile projectiles. It allows you to suck enemies in, damaging them, and you'll gain a 3% damage bonus for each enemy affected. Alternatively, Event Horizon is a good rune to use against Elite packs as it negates their special abilities.

Once you get your hands on a good Mirrorball (Ideal is one with good damage roll, Int, Vit, 10% Crit, and 4 Arcane Power on Crit. The special property is 1-2 extra projectiles for magic missile, so you want one with two), you will want to change your Left Mouse to Magic Missile + Glacial Spike. This actually does fairly high damage and with the extra projectiles from the Mirrorball you get that damage on a pretty wide area along with good crowd control. This will also provide the cold damage for your Elemental exposure. You will want to use this skill at least once every 5 seconds to keep the Elemental Exposure debuff going, or more if you need to let your Arcane Power regenerate.

In my experience, the best way to get a Mirroball is to simply gamble until you get one.

Right Mouse: Arcane Torrent + Cascade - Arcane Torrent is your main damage dealer. Because of this, you will be stacking arcane damage and arcane torrent damage on every slot where you can. This skill has the benefit of having a very high co-efficient for life on hit, so you will be able to take quite a beating as long as you can keep this skill going. Alternatively you can use the Disruption rune for a straight 15% boost to arcane damage on targets you hit with Arcane Torrent.

1: Arcon + Improved Archon - This is still the best cooldown for Wizards. Use this against particularly difficult packs and bosses. The left click attack hits much harder on single target and does much better life on hit return than the right click beam attack.

2: Familiar + Sparkflint - This skill accomplishes two things for the build. The Sparkflint will do 179% weapon damage as fire to your target, giving you your third element for the build. The rune also gives you a straight 10% boost to damage. Alternatively, if you find yourself needing extra Arcane Regen while you are gearing up, you can run Arcanot for 2 more regen.

3: Magic Weapon + Force Weapon - You get a 20% damage boost from this rune, along with a bit of knockback chance. Alternatively you can run conduit for some Arcane Regeneration or Deflection for a fairly consistent damage shield.

4: Energy Armor + Pinpoint Barrier - You'll gain a 35% boost to your armor no matter which rune you use with this skill. Pinpoint barrier gives you 5% extra crit chance. If your crit is high enough or if you need more tougnness, consider Prismatic Armor here.

Gear Suggestions:

Main Hand: Any one handed weapon with as much dps as possible and a socket will do. One great choice is the Mad Monarch's Scepter, which is found only in Act 1 bounty bags. If you farm act 1 bounties in normal you will eventually get a nice high damage roll on one of these. Alternatively, a Sever with a high damage roll, a socket, and a good extra damage to demons roll is also great. My personal weapon is 2440 DPS with +10% damage to demons.

Off-Hand: There are plenty of good choices here; however, the best bet is a good Mirrorball. The good mirroball will give you everything you want out of the source (Crit chance, APOC, stats, good damage) along with the ability to add cold damage into your build for the extra bonus damage along with a much more damaging attack with the 2 extra projectiles.

Rings: The first ring you will want is a Ring of Royal Grandeur. This is found only in Act 1 bounty bags, so you can farm for it and your Mad Monarch's Scepter at the same time. This ring allows you to have the four piece set bonus from both Tal Rasha's set and Vyr's set with only three pieces of each.

For your second ring, there are many choices. The best for group play is a Stone of Jordan with bonus arcane damage. If you are playing alone, a Unity ring with a Unity also on your follower is a good strategy (although there is some question as to whether this is working as intended or not).

Amulet: The best amulet for this build is a Moonlight Ward, since it can roll up to 25% bonus arcane damage. Another option is the Golden Gorget of Leoric, which also comes from the act 1 bounty bags. It can roll up to 20% bonus arcane damage. Ideally you will get Intelligence, 10% crit chance and a high Crit Damage roll on it as well.

Boots: I highly recommend Illusory boots, which come from the Act 2 bounty bag, since their special property allows you to walk through mobs. This is exceptionally valuable if you get pushed into a corner with a lot of arcane damage or freezing pulse on you. You may end up with Vyr's boots here out of necessity, but if at all possible, keep this slot open for Illusory boots.

Bracers: You will want some legendary bracers with +20% to arcane damage in this slot. The easiest pair to get will be Sanguinary Vambraces, which are from the act 1 bounty bag (A pattern emerges!).

The Rest: The rest of your gear is going to end up being dependent upon which pieces of which sets you find. You definitely want to get three pieces of the Tal Rasha set which will trigger a meteor of the appropriate damage type to fall once every 8 seconds. Another good choice is to get three pieces of the Vyr set as well, which would give you all of the archon runes, allowing you to use archon more frequently. You may also consider Asheara's set bonus which will summon all three of your followers to your side for a lot of the time, even in group play.

Final Gear Thoughts: It will take you a considerable amount of re-rolling to get the max rolls to arcane damage and arcane torrent (as appropriate) in each of your slots. You can still run this build without having perfect rolls or even without having the bonus damage in all of your slots. Right now, as you will see from my gear pictures below, I do not yet have a Moonlight Ward amulet and my amulet doesn't even have +20% arcane rolled on it. I got a +98% crit damage roll and stayed happy with that due to the cost of re-rolling amulets. Perfect rolls are only worth paying for if the item is Best in Slot and the rest of the stats all rolled very high or perfect. If you have an average rolled Tal Rasha's Helm, for example, then it's probably fine to get anything from 10-15% to arcane torrent on it, since you will eventually find a replacement with better stats. If you look at my current kit below, you'll see that I am far from completely optimized for this build, and it works great ... so don't be afraid to give this a try before your gear is all perfectly ready for it.

Playing with the build

Generally you will want to open with the glacial spike to freeze enemies in the spot where both the cold and fire meteors will be raining and then follow by primarily using Arcane Torrent (which moves with your mouse, so you can hold shift and move the mouse around to aim). Make sure to throw in the Magic Missile attack every few seconds to keep the cold damage debuff on as many targets as possible and to keep the cold meteors falling.

With this build you will want to gather mobs up and take on large packs as often as possible. The larger the pack, the better. The meteors and Arcane Torrent damage both make very quick work of packs and elite groups. Save archon for difficult packs or Rift bosses.

This Build scales exceptionally well as your gear improves, and currently I can do Torment 3 rift clears without even coming close to death, and I can even do Torment 6 bounties and rifts, but they're still fairly challenging, so my gear isn't quite there yet for T6.

Farming Bounties: As a special note, I wanted to address the build and farming Bounties. If you don't like to make a lot of changes to your build when farming, simply swap in Teleport + Wormhole instead of Archon to give yourself the ability to move around faster and make your runs more efficient. You will probably need to farm up at least 100 bounty bags, if not more, to get the items suggested, so speed and efficiency will be your friend. Remember that the Horadric cachesc will have the same chance of spawning a legendary whether you earn them in Normal or in Torment 6, so do your bounty farming for items in normal, and ideally do it with a full party to make it faster.

Conclusion

This is a great build for using multiple elements and taking advantage of the various skills and passives that allow you to stack your damage and then rely upon the very powerful Arcane Torrent spell. Because of its great life on hit coefficient, you will be quite a lot more tanky than you think, so don't be afraid to get right up in with packs and let your build and gear do the work for you.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a note. I left out a lot of the gear slots due to there being way too many combinations of set pieces you might use to get the 4-piece bonus for two different sets, but make sure you get Tal Rasha's. The grind is definitely worth it since those meteors will be significantly pumped up in damage from the build and they hit a very large area for massive damage (mine currently hit for over 20mil damage), and they are just free damage on top of the rest of your build.

Gear Images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits

Thanks especially to the following people for their help farming bounties and rifts for the gear and some of the theorycrafting that made this build possibe: Shuruka, Sigh, Prozack4811, Gorechunks, Aegisofer, Aizenn, dustyskittle, gige24 and memster.

2. olymindegy

olymindegy Diabloii.Net Member

3. Awesome, thanks for this. I\'m looking at getting my wizard back to my original arcane build based around the torrent skill, so far it works but I\'ll look at this later in the week and try to get started on it as I really want to change out of the crit/CM freeze build.

4. Icculus

Icculus Diabloii.Net Member

Been trying an elemental build recently also: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Type1Tech-1546/hero/31334103

I find reactive armor spreads the lightning around the mobs effectively. Sparkflint gets the fire done and, although I have tried several main button skills, I keep going back to glacial spike. Love the crowd control and it's really fun to freeze a charging bull just as he is about to hit you only to melt his face off. Also good for goblins...

I have been bouncing between arcane torrent - disruption / cascade and disintegrate - entropy / intensify for main dmg dealers. My current gear has boost to both as well as arcane. Since I am running audacity I really like to stand in close and it feels fastest to use entropy. I have tried swapping boots to get an overall 30% boost to torrent but I still don't feel as effective? Maybe they are outside of the 15 yard radius more than I know.

I am running both torrent and disintegrate right now farming T1. Typically will blast the crowd with torrent for the 15% arcane boost, then freeze and run in close. The 1.5 second timer elapses and I can stand and deliver disintegrate while Sparkflint and reactive armor keep the elementals up. Just throw in a spike every so often on tuffer stuff.

Need better gear to dial in the build, but can't get any drops from the [email protected]#$ Act 1 cache. 17 runs - no leg. The journey continues...

5. bmack

bmack Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for posting your build and the philosophy behind it. Much appreciated. Like Icculus I am running primarily with disintegrate as my main dmg dealer. I use shock pulse living lightning as my recharge skill as it seems to proc crits more. I got away from the EE Passive and switched to unwavering will as my main hand weapon has poison until I re-roll it. I use temporal flux for crowd control.
    Here is my profile if you want to eyeball it. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/gromph-1226/hero/5419676

In game my dmg is listed as about 860K with about 8.2M toughness so I do fairly well up to T3. See you guys around.

6. cheerupemokid10

cheerupemokid10 Diabloii.Net Member

Been running something similar myself as well.

Using a few different things to help with AP sustain and damage buffing.

Actives: Shock armor with the -AP cost, arcane hydra for dot, and electrocute with the charged bolt rune. Personally take disruption to work together with hydra's.
    Passives: Arcane Dynamo for my damage buff instead of the elemental exposure.

Charge up Arcane Dynamo, throw down a hydra, charge up Dynamo again, and spray disruption until death. Dynamo gives me the 60%ED which really buffs up the damage. I don't have all the fancy legs yet, so my sheet dps is something like 610k. Yet with all the crits, %ED, and +%dmg to elites, I consistently hit 2.5mil.

I chose to go this way rather than with elemental exposure so that I don't have to keep switching from channeling to the other spells. When I was using elemental exposure, I ran with the frost hydras so I wouldn't have to keep recasting, electrocute for the arcane dynamo, and the force weapon that causes burning for the fire damage. Again, to keep the channeling and damage buff from arcane dynamo going.

7. Drixx

Keep in mind that Elemental Exposure can get 5% from your weapon damage, so a lightning weapon along with sparkflint will passively take care of two elements and 10% of the damage boost without you needing to use any separate skill casts. This leaves you free to simply use Arcane Torrent and throw in the Glacial Spike to refresh your damage buff and get the meteor coming down.

With Astral Presence and the 3-piece Tal Rasha set bonus, you'll be on 14 arcane power regen. Add in 4 arcane power on crit and you will almost never have to stop channeling Arcane Torrent on single targets (rift bosses, ubers) outside of the glacial spike every 4 seconds (getting into a rhythm of doing it every 4 seconds keeps the damage buff up and makes every 2nd cast bring down the meteor, also ensuring that the cast that calls the meteor is the one that does the freezing since the freeze can only happen every 5 seconds).

8. cheerupemokid10

cheerupemokid10 Diabloii.Net Member

All good to note for those with the gear. However, as I said, I am not fortunate enough to even have one of those legs/sets. So with my mostly rare gear still, I have to do with what I have. I still see the 60%ED greatly outweighing a 20% of the Elemental Exposure in my situation.

However, if you can keep the freeze up and keep making meteors rain down with those leg/set bonuses, I can definitely see the strong potential with less need for setting up the dynamo's. I'm still stuck in the T1 range with my gear for rift running and use a much different setup for normal difficulty cache/bounty runs.

With the coming changes to cache drops, I will hope to soon be transitioning to running cache/bounties in some torment range for the chances of torment only legs. With no idea of a patch date I think I'll have some time to keep speed running in normal for some time though.

Just as an FYI for any interested, for normal speed runs I use this set up.
    Everything is about speed and hitting things on the run. Once I'm surrounded it only takes a flash of sleet storm and poof. Elites don't take much either with a puff from arcane orbit, a couple blasts, and sleet storm the Elemental Exposure does make a big difference in this situation. This is all done on normal, so pretty much anything can kill fast. This just emphasizes moving fast too. All the +speed gear I can pack goes on, mostly from old legs like Tyreals, lacuni's, rose compass (IIRC), hammer jammers, etc.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. Drixx

One of the reasons I recommended so many pieces of gear for this build from the bounty caches is because you can split farm them in groups in normal and have just as much of a chance of getting them as you would in any other difficulty. You can get the following slots taken care of just from bounty bags: Amulet, Ring #1, Bracers, Shoulders, Weapon, Boots, Gloves and with those you can get enough bonus to arcane to get the build up and running for Torment 1, at which point you should focus on speed farming rifts and using the shards to gamble. Mirrorball will make a huge difference, and of course once you're up on T1-T2 and farming rifts, it's simply a matter of time until you find the necessary pieces to fill in the build.

This build can and will work with just Rare pieces though. Simply roll arcane damage wherever you can, and the specific arcane skill wherever you can. Sparkflint gives you element #2 and if you run a lightning or cold damage weapon you're already up to +15% from Elemental Exposure.

That's really the beauty of this build, to me: it scales from your first set of rares that you enchant for the right damage type all the way up through the best gear in the game and it's kind of like a snowball rolling down the hill. At first, in all rares, it's probably around as good as the standard electrocute + frozen orb build ... but as you add better and better gear, the stacking damage bonuses give you a much greater scaling damage amount than any of the other cookie cutter builds going out there.

The reason I suggest Arcane Torrent over Disintigrate, for what it's worth, is because Arcane Torrent has a better life on hit coefficient and it's significantly cheaper to channel. That said, with absolutely perfect gear, I suspect disintigrate may have a better upside. I'll certainly keep the build updated as I continue to improve my gear and push into T6.

10. cuBEar

cuBEar Diabloii.Net Member

Really nice build! I really enjoy the elemental exposure, and combining it with an arcane build is just awesome :)

Could you maybe post what your current stats on Crit, APOC, and APregen are? In your last reply you mentioned having 14 regen, but i couldn't happen to find the last 2 points of regen :) (I just found the ones coming from the passive and the tal rasha's set bonus, resulting in 12?).

I tried this build with my current gear - 54% crit, 4 APOC and 12 APregen, even sacrificing the sparkflint - but i ran out of AP very often, especially against single bosses. Sadly i could not find a mirrorball just yet, so glacial spike is not an option.

Are the 14 APregen essential to do a constant channeling of arcane torrent, or might the crit chance be to low? I had the impression that using an AP generator was beneficial to running out of AP..

11. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo Diabloii.Net Member

cool build! i know the dps shown in game isn't accurate, but what are you making fully buffed? also your toughness? just wondering since you are doing t6.
    and where did you find the tals armor?

12. bmack

I tried the build yesterday replacing Disintegrate with Arcane Torrent and b/c of my gear it didn't work out as well. I find that lacing disintegrate through a large pile of enemies gives me better proc of LoH than AT. I also clump them all up using the Black Hole which then does a really nice job for LoH and the Crits.

13. Wurmer

Wurmer Diabloii.Net Member

The potential DPS is crazy high for sure. I tried it without having all the best gear in spot. My problem is that I am getting Arcane starved pretty quickly and I will need more life on hit to get my life back.

This is my wizard atm :

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Wurmer-1561/hero/9028134

A lot of room for improvement.

14. Drixx

Those of you who are finding yourselves AP starved, do you have Arcane Power on Crit rolled on your source? Just the 4 I have on my Mirrorball seems to be what keeps me afloat.

Base Arcane Power regen is actually 10, and not 8, so the 2 from the Tal Rasha 3 piece bonus and the 2 from the Astral Presence passive get you to 14.

Current Stats as requested: 50.30% Crit Chance (Without pinpoint barrier), +468% Crit damage (this is way lower than I'd like).

Sheet Damage: 1,659,160
    Sheet Toughness: 14,504,809

Bear in mind that the sheet damage doesn't account for anything with an orange diamond next to it on your items, so all +arcane and +skill damage are not accounted for.

For those having trouble with Arcane Torrent as a skill... I suspect it's a bit of a play style issue. Arcane Torrent has a little bit of "ramp up" time in that the animation actually has to make it to the target before the damage hits, and the animation is a bit lengthy, while disintigrate hits immediately. Disintigrate is the clear alternative to AT for arcane based builds; however, its higher cost makes it that much harder to sustain. I'm not sure it would be possible without investing in significant cost reduction via paragon and gear affixes.

15. bmack

Drixx, I completely agree on the play style issue. I only have 12AP/sec and 4 APOC. I mitigate the AP starving issue by using the Energy Tap Rune on Energy Armor. This gives me 138 AP. Playing, I alternate a burst of disintegrate down to about 1/4 AP for mobs and then spam Shock Pulse Living Lightning to proc the crits to recharge. I find that I recharge the full ball in about 4-6 seconds. If I have 8 APOC then it is much quicker or if I use the passive signature spell skill that gens 5 per cast it is also very quick (I don't usually use either of these though b/c I favor the higher damage for now). With my play style I almost never hear the "I need more arcane power".

16. reclinemusic

reclinemusic Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for this guide. Couple questions related to my setup.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Denby-1378/hero/3630593

Do you still recommend glacial spike if you don't have a mirrorball? I have a mirrorball with FO bonus and no apoc that I was using with my FO build. I could re roll FO bonus for apoc but it would be painful.

With my wand should I run slow time or is spellsteal still better?

any other suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  17. Drixx

@reclinemusic - It's worth re-rolling the APOC, but even just a single spike is going to trigger the meteor from Tal Rasha, so if you have that then the single spike will still get your cold application to hit the whole pack you are fighting, and give you the damage boost.

I wouldn't run any wand when there are so many one handed weapons which are better, honestly. The only wand worth considering is the one you are running, but you'll want a much higher damage roll. Remember that the entire damage calculation of everything is based upon the damage range of your weapon, so even though you get a 19% bonus from your wand, all of your bonuses are starting from a significantly smaller number.

I'll be adding an update to the guide soon with a list of all sources of elemental damage that will work for Elemental Exposure and will trigger a Tal Rasha meteor, along with a few general updates and an added F.A.Q. section to keep track of questions.

18. reclinemusic

reclinemusic Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks. I do not have a rrog or even 3 pieces of tals so I can't even take the meteors into account yet.

19. tougeznut

tougeznut Diabloii.Net Member

Great guide. I'll add some advice for the people running out of AP. There are three things to consider: your attacks per second, your AP regen, and your reduced resource cost (RRC).

*Try to use a Mace or an Axe (1.2 or 1.3 attacks per second)
    *Avoid any attack speed gear. It makes your sheet DPS higher, but all it does is spend your AP faster without any real benefit.
    *consider having a few pieces of gear with reduced resource cost. Just three pieces with 7% will give you ~20% reduced cost.
    *your AP spent is your attacks per second times your AP cost.
    1.2aps*16AP=19.2 AP/sec
    1.5aps*16AP= 24 AP/sec
    So, a higher attack speed eats up your AP pretty quickly.
    Now, if you have a slow Mace, and 20% RRC you only use ~15 AP/sec
    (1.2*16*0.80=15.36)
    So, using your Arcanot and Astral Presence and having 14 AP regen is enough to only lose 1 AP/sec, and AP issues all but disappear.

Having APoC could work too, but it requires a high CC and deals with multipliers... even more annoying math.
    Shoot for RRC on shoulders, source, and one other piece (weapon can roll 10%).

20. cuBEar

cuBEar Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the great answers! After some more testing, i thought that attackspeed might be the problem, too. After scraping off two bonuses to that, everything worked quite fine! (Still not running without losing some AP, but in an ok fashion :D) Even got more toughness out of that.

Also I managed to find a Mirrorball - sadly only with one extra missile, but s"§%& happens :D - and it really is great. You can even consider swapping the Glasscannon for Cold Blooded, i think.
    Edit: Misread Glacial Spike, without a chilling effect that lasts a little bit longer, cold blooded will not be a good choice ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2014