Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

AR with kicks?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Zangeif, May 12, 2005.

1. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

AR with kicks?

Well I have always thought that all AR on gear applies to kicks. However, On another forum some people are saying that AR from the weapon does not affect kicks (like ED on the weapon). I checked the kicking basics sticky and AR is not mentioned there.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I'm surprised I don't know this for sure by now.

2. Speederländer

Speederländer IncGamers Member

Top of my head I thought weapon AR did not apply. I guess it was never a major issue for my kickers. I recall checking this exact question once but I forget what I found out. It might be that % AR applies but integer values do not. That would seem odd though. Just go slap on a bartucs and see what happens to your kick AR. Then quick shop any claw in act 1 with an AR mod, should take less than 60 seconds. There is NOT a display bug (unless I forgot something) so the numbers that appear should be ok.

3. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

I was thinking that if anything, it was the other way around.

4. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Bartucs also adds dex, which will skew the results.

I find Phoenix-Hawk's FAQ (originally posted on the Battle.net forums within a month or two of 1.10 coming out) to be one of the most reliable sources of information.

Phoenix-Hawk's FAQ

Kicking Properties See Note 1

5. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Hmm, the fact that he seems to have been basing his AR findings on what he saw on the LCS makes me suspicious. Not that it's necessarily wrong, just that it's not really definitive. I could test this, but I've kind of made a promise to myself to not test much of anything while I'm scratching to play even a couple of times a month. If anybody's up for it, I'd suggest using a Fool's weapon in a low% CtH situation and seeing if it makes any difference. You could do me a huge favor and use a claw, so that it could be tested in both hands.

Speaking of which, what Phoenix-Hawk says about secondary claw transmitted mods looks to be wrong. Leech and CTCs are both properties I've tested myself and found no sign of working on the secondary. And CB and elemental mods are commonly understood not to work.

6. Speederländer

You're thinking about the game...

You're posting about the game...

But you can't test? :scratch:

7. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Just went and tested with my dtail assassin. Bought a pair of regular white katar, and a blade talon with +11 ar. I have her wearing dual bartucs.

In no combination of primary/secondary, left or right, did the blade talon with +11 ar add anything to my kick.

In every combination, the bartucs, with their %ar, added to my kick ar.

Conclusion : Static attack rating numbers on weapons add nothing to kicks, % bonus to ar works properly.

8. Speederländer

Was that the dex on the tucs adding though?

9. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

It's clear that +AR is not shown the character screen as working with kicks. What isn't clear is if that has any bearing on reality. The Lying Character Screen is notorious for being wrong. <cough> elemental damage on kicks <cough> Again, if you're not a modder, the best way to test would be with a weapon with extremely high +AR and no other CtH mods in a low CtH environment.

I guess while we're at it, what about -%defence, -defence/hit, and ITD?

Heh, well let's put it this way: playing the game has a much higher priority than testing it right now...and apparently thinking and posting about it a much higher priority than playing. :lol:

Although if I could easily fit playing the game into the same small, random, bits of time I use to think and post about it, I'd probably be playing instead.

10. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Well, considering that 1 dex = 5 ar, and I gained easily 1-1.5k ar from each bartuc, I think it's safe to say that it's the % adding the majority. =P

As for -defense, -defense%, and whatnot, I .. well, frankly don't have the patience to test that lol. I imagine they would, since CoS works so nicely, but when it's skills vs gear you never know.

11. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

There have been a very few modifications since P-H's page was written. The off-hand claw info was one of the things he mentioned changing before disappearing into the night. The copy of the FAQ I linked to was from a Google cache since battle.net mysteriously ate his entire thread for no reason, despite being bumped consistently for months.

Even with the LCS issues, I've found the AR calculator to be rather accurate ... just not the chance to hit calculator. I don't have a good way to test that right now, but from my experience the +AR does not seem to make a difference. Mostly this was from playing early-game and finding something with +100ish AR and not noticing any increase in chance to hit. The +% is much harder to feel since it is usually small compared to the % on the kick skill.

12. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

Am I correct that AR on non weapon gear does work with kicks? I can't test, I need a new computer I haven't been able to play for over a month but I'm still planning some builds to kill time.

13. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

One word: Angellics.

14. Speederländer

Yeah, that's basically what it comes down to without making a compromised build that pumps dex or uses shaddy equipment.

15. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

Cool thanks, the build I'm making is vlld, so no angelics though :)