Apple has a monopoly?

Apple has a monopoly?

http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/04/07/subcommittee/index.php


Congress looking at Apple refusing to release DRM information to other companies so they could sell their music and have it work on the iPod. Main problem I have here is that Microsoft won't license WMA DRM to Apple, not to mention give the rights for the iPod to play WMA files. So why should Apple have to do this again? For the consumer? I say they do it when Microsoft stops putting IE into Windows by default in the U.S.

Besides Apple's monopoly isn't because they have more songs or they are grandfathered in, its because more iPods have sold than any other product. The iTMS is popular because the iPod is popular. Both of those products are made by Apple and therefor shouldn't be forced to support something they don't want to. The other download services don't sell as much because they aren't as integrated with such a great player. The iPod works perfectly with iTunes, its easy. The other players aren't as popular for many reasons lots of people complain of the interface of other players or how you have to upload songs.

People aren't forced to buy iPods so they can fit in at work or so they can use the programs they are familiar with.

Microsoft is trying to make this claim without ensuring that their own formats work on Macs anyway. If Apple is forced to make things compatible then Microsoft should have at least attempted to work this out with Apple before.



/big'olrant
 

group x

Diabloii.Net Member
Blockbuster did the same thing to Hollywood video's., and their getting sued. Does this mean i'm shouldn't buy an Ipod now. Now i focus on PsP.


P.S. What starts with an i and ends with a pod.
 
group x said:
Blockbuster did the same thing to Hollywood video's., and their getting sued. Does this mean i'm shouldn't buy an Ipod now. Now i focus on PsP.


P.S. What starts with an i and ends with a pod.
When it comes down to it the day to day functioning of the iPod won't change. I am more pissed off about Microsoft being *****y about not having great sales because they have a crappy format and the players that are selling not doing to well.
 

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
Main problem I have here is that Microsoft won't license WMA DRM to Apple, not to mention give the rights for the iPod to play WMA files.
If Apple paid money to Microsoft the latter would have no problem licensing its DRM scheme to the former for use on iPods/iTunes/iTMS. Steve Jobs won't be caught dead supporting the format he's out to beat with AAC though.

Apple only has a monopoly in this field if you jump through some really narrow hoops. There are lots of music software packages out there other than iTunes; there are lots of online music shops out there other than iTMS; and there are lots of portable music players out there other than the iPod family. And even if you choose iTunes and iPods, there are lots of ways to get music to enjoy with them other than going through iTMS.

So it's a load of horsecrap. Congress getting all righteous and angry on behalf of Napster and Microsoft. Wonder who's writing the checks to those reelection funds this month, eh?
 
DurfBarian said:
If Apple paid money to Microsoft the latter would have no problem licensing its DRM scheme to the former for use on iPods/iTunes/iTMS. Steve Jobs won't be caught dead supporting the format he's out to beat with AAC though.

Apple only has a monopoly in this field if you jump through some really narrow hoops. There are lots of music software packages out there other than iTunes; there are lots of online music shops out there other than iTMS; and there are lots of portable music players out there other than the iPod family. And even if you choose iTunes and iPods, there are lots of ways to get music to enjoy with them other than going through iTMS.

So it's a load of horsecrap. Congress getting all righteous and angry on behalf of Napster and Microsoft. Wonder who's writing the checks to those reelection funds this month, eh?
Exactly.

By reducing the so called Monopoly of Apple they would be helping Microsoft's correct? So now we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
 

Ev_

Diabloii.Net Member
There are two ways of becoming a monopoly:

1.) Buying out the competition.
2.) Being far and away the best provider of a product and having the consumers willingly give you a huge market share.

Apple did the latter. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and they did nothing illegal or immoral. It's absolutely ridiculous that Congress is looking at this.
 

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
So if Congress goes and makes a law that says "the monopoly file format must be opened and shared among all market players," how loudly will Microsoft whine when Apple turns around and demands that all facets of the .doc and .xls and .ppt formats be opened up for the masses?

The answer is "pretty darn loudly."
 

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
So if Congress goes and makes a law that says "the monopoly file format must be opened and shared among all market players," how loudly will Microsoft whine when Apple turns around and demands that all facets of the .doc and .xls and .ppt formats be opened up for the masses?

The answer is "pretty darn loudly."

Yeah, but only since they started lobbying after the "unpleasantness." Take that nerds who think that logic will defeat the government.

I like the Mac, I don't like the no programs useful to me thing. I'll just do the -ux thingy and laugh at the fanbois on both sides

18th and University represent!
 

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Just tell me if Tom's Market is still on the corner of 19th and Agate. I used to play a lot of Donkey Kong there.
 
Top