Apparently Liberals Shouldn't Own Baseball Teams

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
OK lets make this easy for them......bring back the team to Montreal and we shall all be happy.

Beowulf said:
OK lets make this easy for them......bring back the team to Montreal and we shall all be happy.
Well, see, the Nats kinda like having people in the stadium to cheer them on. Sorry.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Well it doesn't seem like the Republicans have really done anything yet. And MLB is entitled to deny individuals or groups the right to buy ballclubs. I see no harm in the GOP reminding Major League Baseball about the troubles that Soros could bring.

AeroJonesy said:
Well it doesn't seem like the Republicans have really done anything yet. And MLB is entitled to deny individuals or groups the right to buy ballclubs. I see no harm in the GOP reminding Major League Baseball about the troubles that Soros could bring.
AJ, please tell me you just didn't read the article. The Republicans are throwing loosely veiled threats at MLB left, right, and center:

"I think Major League Baseball understands the stakes," said Government Reform Chairman Tom Davis (R), the Northern Virginia lawmaker who recently convened high-profile steroid hearings. "I don't think they want to get involved in a political fight."

Davis, whose panel also oversees District of Columbia issues, said that if a Soros sale went through, "I don't think it's the Nats that get hurt. I think it's Major League Baseball that gets hurt. They enjoy all sorts of exemptions" from anti-trust laws.
If that's not a "hint hint, look at what we have over your head", I don't know what is.

Still, Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), vice chairman of the Appropriations subcommittee that covers the District of Columbia budget, said if Soros buys the team and seeks public funding for the new stadium or anything else, the GOP attitude would be, "Let him pay for it."

"We're not going to interfere with [the sale], but from a fan's perspective, who needs the politics?" Sweeney said.
Who needs politics? Let's make sure all those who want to purchase baseball teams are thoroughly checked for political contributions before allowing them to bid, shall we? I think we can chalk up that jackass running the Yankees as the first casualty of the GOP's new policy.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Ugh, must have missed that first part. As I said before I see no harm in the GOP notifying MLB of the troubles Soros might bring. Threatening MLB, on the other hand, ain't right. I don't know why they are making such a big stink about things right now. Soros isn't even the front-runner to buy the team. I bet he doesn't get the team, and someone else does, and the GOP could have avoided this whole issue without making a big stink. Why complain about the guy in third place if he's not going to win anyway? (Unless you are in fourth...)

IMO the repubs can moan all they like (and i think they do) but the team owners will know exactly why the GOP are moaning, and know they are heavily biased. Really, it should just come down to whoever has the best finanical plan and who wilol be best for the team. If that happens to be a libral, who cares? apart from crusty old republicans.

farting bob said:
IMO the repubs can moan all they like (and i think they do) but the team owners will know exactly why the GOP are moaning, and know they are heavily biased. Really, it should just come down to whoever has the best finanical plan and who wilol be best for the team. If that happens to be a libral, who cares? apart from crusty old republicans.
Well the problem is, farting bob, that the Republicans, with their power in Congress, have it within their power to really make things difficult for Major League Baseball. They've essentially told MLB that if they choose Soros, good business decision or not, the Republican party is going to (ab)use their political power to punish the MLB for allowing a liberal to buy the team.

So yes, it should come down to whoever has the best financial plan, but unfortunately in this case it is not coming down to that.

I think a pig just flew past my window. I'm defending laissez-faire capitalism and accusing the GOP of interfering with it in unacceptable ways. Worst part? This isn't the first time this week...

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
This will be hilarious if/when the new Nationals owner(s) realize that all they have to do to get Congress to shut up is to build the new stadium outside of D.C. Problem solved.

maccool said:
This will be hilarious if/when the new Nationals owner(s) realize that all they have to do to get Congress to shut up is to build the new stadium outside of D.C. Problem solved.
There's any number of big open spaces within a few miles of where I live! :thumbsup:

Freemason

Banned
I never would have thought Durf to be naive... Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

Soros torqued the Republicans off. The Republicans have the power to stop him. That's business. Accept it and get ahead or forever work for somebody.

DrunkCajun said:
At any rate, one good thing did come from this thread. We've learned that Freemason is in fact not a capitalist. I had suspicions all along. You know, Freemason, your politics would fit in great in most of the third world.
And how do you justify that? Because I understand (apparently better than anybody here) that making politicians mad is bad for business? Because I have seen first hand political power plays bugger up a project? Apparently to be a capitalist (as defined by the leftists in here) you have to be naive to reality. :lol:

Freemason said:
I never would have thought Durf to be naive... Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

Soros torqued the Republicans off. The Republicans have the power to stop him. That's business. Accept it and get ahead or forever work for somebody.

And how do you justify that? Because I understand (apparently better than anybody here) that making politicians mad is bad for business? Because I have seen first hand political power plays bugger up a project? Apparently to be a capitalist (as defined by the leftists in here) you have to be naive to reality. :lol:
Laissez faire:
Wikipedia said:
Laissez-faire is short for "laissez-faire, laissez-passer," a French phrase meaning idiomatically "leave to do, leave to pass" or more accurately "let things alone, let them pass". First used by the eighteenth century Physiocrats as an injunction against government interference with trade, it is now used as a synonym for strict free market economics. Laissez-faire economic policy is in direct contrast to statist economic policy. Adam Smith played a large role in popularizing laissez-faire economic theories in English-speaking countries, though he was critical of a number of aspects of what is currently thought of as laissez-faire.
See now, when government blackmails a private business into doing what it wants, that's no longer laissez-faire capitalism, that's more in line with a command economy. If you need the economics lesson I'll be happy to provide it.

In the meantime, I think that we should just throw the Nats out of baseball altogether. Look at the Republican criminal they have working for them now:

At the group's head stands that classic Washington insider, Fred Malek, forever to be remembered for his role in the Watergate scandal. Although deputy director of the infamous Committee to Re-Elect the President (CREEP) in the early 1970s, he escaped prosecution, but couldn't avoid political exile. Malek returned in the late 1980s as deputy chairman of the Republican National Committee, only to find his past still dogging him. When it came to light that he had compiled a list of Jews working for the Bureau of Labor Statistics---the "Jewish cabal" that obsessed Nixon---Malek was forced to resign. He kept busy through tours of executive duty with Marriott and Northwest Airlines, and as the manager of the Bush-Quayle campaign in 1992.

Malek now heads Washington Baseball Club LLC, the organization supplying the campaign's muscle. As he puts it: "We've got the money, the people behind the effort, the site [for a new stadium], the backing of the City. We've got the resources to get this done."
Frankly, Freemason, if you find this to be an acceptable way of running a free market economy, your view of a free market economy is so warped by your political affiliations that it's no longer recognizable. Free market doesn't mean "free market for those who do as the current party in power tells them to do and command economy for everyone else". It means free market. Suggesting that this is how business is run is surrendering ourselves to running capitalism like Argentina does. On bribes, scandal, and backroom deals.

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
Smeg:

If we were talking about competing in the same arena, I would agree. But this is an abuse, DC is right.
Confound it Steel, it's a capital OTF offense to admit fault and agree with the opposition! I will give you 5 minutes to retract that statement, otherwise I'm sending the lynch mob after you.

Johnny

Banned
Freemason said:
Let's say Carnage_DVS tried to become moderator and I did everything possible to prevent it. Told lies, bribed people, made allegations without substantiation, etc. Neverless he became moderator.

Now when I need something done only a moderator can do (such as deleting a post made while drunk) do you really think he'd want to do me a favor? Hell no and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

So why should the Republicans do Soros any favors? He pulled a lot of crap and now has to pay the price. Too damned bad, he should have played by civilized rules.
Except that these forums are a dictatorship (as they should be) where the ones in charge foot the whole bill for its existance (with a few supporters) and USA is a democracy (just barely), where the people puts up all the money and the people in charge for some reason uses it to try and stop a tax payer from buying a baseball team.
Also this Soros guy isnt asking for favors he just expects the government to stay out of it.

And on a side note the republican side pulled just as much unfair punches and BS in the election as the democrats did if not more (the whole fake accusations of Kerry misstreating USA POWs in vietnam on the NVA's behalf)

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
Well, there was this time I went to bed with a girl when I was 17, but this isn't the thread for that story.
Freemason said:
Soros torqued the Republicans off.
Yes.
Freemason said:
The Republicans have the power to stop him.
No. The Chinese Communist Party has the power to stop people from doing business because they opposed the party; American politics is supposed to be a bit better than that. Well, at least when Tom Delay's on vacation.
Freemason said:
That's business. Accept it and get ahead or forever work for somebody.
Actually it's a bunch of hypocritical antibusiness horsecrap. I'm surprised to find you in the antibusiness camp, although the two H-words in that sentence don't shock me so much when I find them in your posts. :p
Freemason said:
Apparently to be a capitalist (as defined by Freemason) you have to suck it up and bow to power instead of hoping for a free market. Congrats, man. You've dragged yourself down to the level of Chinese state capitalism and you're smiling the whole time.

----------

If the Republicans (or the Democrats) in Congress stood up and said (we oppose handing out public funds to support stadium construction, since that should be financed by the private entities that will profit from it" I would be clapping and cheering for them. That's a solid decision made for solid reasons. But they didn't say that. They said "this guy needs to learn that expressing political views gets you punished in this country." You're proving yourself to be anti-American once again when you give these guys props for that.

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Well, see, the Nats kinda like having people in the stadium to cheer them on. Sorry.
They had plenty here in montreal until the last few years. Hell in the late 90s I went to dozens of games a year and in 94 I went to 24 before the bloody strike.

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
Well, there was this time I went to bed with a girl when I was 17, but this isn't the thread for that story.
Yes.
No. The Chinese Communist Party has the power to stop people from doing business because they opposed the party; American politics is supposed to be a bit better than that. Well, at least when Tom Delay's on vacation.
Actually it's a bunch of hypocritical antibusiness horsecrap. I'm surprised to find you in the antibusiness camp, although the two H-words in that sentence don't shock me so much when I find them in your posts. :p
Apparently to be a capitalist (as defined by Freemason) you have to suck it up and bow to power instead of hoping for a free market. Congrats, man. You've dragged yourself down to the level of Chinese state capitalism and you're smiling the whole time.

----------

If the Republicans (or the Democrats) in Congress stood up and said (we oppose handing out public funds to support stadium construction, since that should be financed by the private entities that will profit from it" I would be clapping and cheering for them. That's a solid decision made for solid reasons. But they didn't say that. They said "this guy needs to learn that expressing political views gets you punished in this country." You're proving yourself to be anti-American once again when you give these guys props for that.
Durf, While i agree with everything you said, please remember that it's still your fault.

Everyone else, Please remember, targeted legislation/behavior designed to punish someone for expressing a politicall view is abhorent to the ideals of this country. For Congress to try and punish Soros or any other person for expressing political beliefs/exercising freedom of speech would be a mockery of one of the two most fundamental concepts that our country was founded on. (the other being freedom of religion). Destroy the foundation and any house will fall.

yay 1984

Steve_Kow

Banned
They (the Republicans) should have kept their collective noses out of this one. That being said, I don't think that Liberals should be allowed to own shoes.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Steve_Kow said:
I don't think that Liberals should be allowed to own shoes.
We don't own shoes. We wear Birkenstock sandals or go barefoot. Get that through your thick reactionary skull, baby. :teeth: