Apparently Liberals Shouldn't Own Baseball Teams

Apparently Liberals Shouldn't Own Baseball Teams

But it's perfectly okay for conservatives to own them. I seem to recall our current President owning the Texas Rangers at one point in time...

Roll Call said:
Three months into their inaugural season, the Washington Nationals are in first place. Attendance is strong, hopes are high, and the team is reportedly turning a tidy profit.

But to some Capitol Hill Republicans there is a dark cloud on the Nats' horizon: the potential that their newly adopted home team could be purchased by billionaire financier George Soros.

Earlier this month, Soros joined an ownership bid being led by entrepreneur Jonathan Ledecky. Their group is one of more than a half-dozen angling to take over the Nats, who are currently owned by Major League Baseball.

In addition to being a well-known currency speculator and philanthropist, Soros is also known in political circles for having pumped more than $20 million in the last cycle into groups seeking to unseat President Bush and elect Democrats.

While the Soros-Ledecky group is not seen as the frontrunner to win the bidding for the Nationals, who should be awarded to their new owner at the end of the 2005 season, the very prospect that Soros could have a stake in the team is enough to irritate Congressional Republicans.

"I think Major League Baseball understands the stakes," said Government Reform Chairman Tom Davis (R), the Northern Virginia lawmaker who recently convened high-profile steroid hearings. "I don't think they want to get involved in a political fight."

Davis, whose panel also oversees District of Columbia issues, said that if a Soros sale went through, "I don't think it's the Nats that get hurt. I think it's Major League Baseball that gets hurt. They enjoy all sorts of exemptions" from anti-trust laws.

Indeed, Hill Republicans could potentially make life difficult for MLB in a variety of ways. In addition to being exempt from anti-trust rules, baseball is still under scrutiny over the steroid issue. The Nats, meanwhile, hope to have a publicly-funded stadium built soon, though money for that venture is expected to come through the sale of bonds rather than a federal outlay.

Still, Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), vice chairman of the Appropriations subcommittee that covers the District of Columbia budget, said if Soros buys the team and seeks public funding for the new stadium or anything else, the GOP attitude would be, "Let him pay for it."

"We're not going to interfere with [the sale], but from a fan's perspective, who needs the politics?" Sweeney said.

Another senior Republican lawmaker who requested anonymity said that the league should be aware of the perception problem that might be associated with selling the Nats to Soros.

"Why would Major League Baseball want to get involved with George Soros?" said the lawmaker. "It's about more than just the sale price."
http://www.rollcall.com/issues/50_137/news/9825-1.html
http://blog.dccc.org/mt/archives/003059.html

Another interesting blog article on the topic: http://thurgood.************/2005_06_01_thurgood_archive.html#111988566297801593

Cliffs Notes version: Republican congresscritters are pressuring MLB not to allow George Soros to be part of the group vying for ownership of my hometown baseball team, the Washington Nationals. Why? Because they say there shouldn't be politics involved in it. Nevermind that Colin Powell was considering being part of one of the groups bidding, or that Bush himself owned an MLB team at one point.

Freemason

Banned
After the crap Soros tried to pull in the last election does it suprise you he's being stopped by the people that won the election? It shouldn't. He's simply reaping what he sowed.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
After the crap Soros tried to pull in the last election does it suprise you he's being stopped by the people that won the election? It shouldn't. He's simply reaping what he sowed.
I don't see how owning a baseball team has anything to do with politics. It's not like they are going to be mowing "Vote Obama '08" into center field.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
DC, there is politics involved in this situation since the team is now in Washington DC.

I don't think the situation applies to other teams.

Freemason

Banned
It doesn't matter. He stomped on too many powerful toes. He tried to effect the last election and now has to pay the price of failure.

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
It doesn't matter. He stomped on too many powerful toes. He tried to effect the last election and now has to pay the price of failure.
No no no, Smeg, you seem to have misread the thread title, as well as the attached article: The man is trying to purchase a baseball team.

That should clear up the confusion.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
I don't see how owning a baseball team has anything to do with politics. It's not like they are going to be mowing "Vote Obama '08" into center field.
I find myself agreeing with Smeg. Considering the lengths that he went to to try and ensure that Bush was defeated, it isn't suprising that the Republicans aren't fond of the man.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
I find myself agreeing with Smeg. Considering the lengths that he went to to try and ensure that Bush was defeated, it isn't suprising that the Republicans aren't fond of the man.
It's fine that the republicans aren't happy with him, he deserves it, that's not the issue. The issue is that congress shouldn't be messing around with Major League Baseball just because of a grudge over the last election.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
And therefore it's fine for Republicans to hamper the guy's private business endeavors? Congrats, Steel, you're now as stupid as Freemason. Now if only you could make some comments about how awesomely pro-capitalism you are you can tie him in the hypocracy department as well.

I'd like to note that I actually agree with the "government shouldn't pay for sports facilities" position. It would just be nice to see the GOP espousing it on the basis that government should stay small and out of the way instead of because "OMG that guy is a liberal." Yeah, I'm sure the Republicans will refuse to offer public funds for all other stadium ventures too, though. :rolleyes:

Freemason

Banned
Let's say Carnage_DVS tried to become moderator and I did everything possible to prevent it. Told lies, bribed people, made allegations without substantiation, etc. Neverless he became moderator.

Now when I need something done only a moderator can do (such as deleting a post made while drunk) do you really think he'd want to do me a favor? Hell no and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

So why should the Republicans do Soros any favors? He pulled a lot of crap and now has to pay the price. Too damned bad, he should have played by civilized rules.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
It's cool, man. I just know never to take you seriously again when you claim to like impartial capitalism. It's all about currying favor with the politicians in charge to make your money.

You'd go over very well in Russia and/or China right about now. :)

Freemason

Banned
Looks like you've never worked with a city council. Do you really think I can tell the Boise city council what I think of them and ever expect to get a single building through the building department? Hell no, I have to put on a happy face and smile while thinking how nice it would be for the scumbag behind that desk to get run over by a truck. Otherwise I'd have to find another line of work.

Soros told the Republicans what he thinks of them and guess what! He doesn't get his plaything. Funny how real life works isn't it.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure he'll spend this evening weeping into a huge pillow made of the several billion dollars remaining to him. :uhhuh:

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
Soros told the Republicans what he thinks of them and guess what! He doesn't get his plaything. Funny how real life works isn't it.
Doesn't change the fact that the gov needs to get its dirty, grabby mits away from the MLB.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves. It's politics.

I don't care who owns the team as long as they don't move them and Washington DC benefits from the team being here (time will tell).

MLB knows a good thing when the see it (for the most part).

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
Democrats are anti-American, and if they own a baseball team, they will convert our beloved National Pastime into a perverted orgy of homosexual fornication, walk-in outdoor abortion centers, and anti-Bush parades.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
And therefore it's fine for Republicans to hamper the guy's private business endeavors? Congrats, Steel, you're now as stupid as Freemason. Now if only you could make some comments about how awesomely pro-capitalism you are you can tie him in the hypocracy department as well.

I'd like to note that I actually agree with the "government shouldn't pay for sports facilities" position. It would just be nice to see the GOP espousing it on the basis that government should stay small and out of the way instead of because "OMG that guy is a liberal." Yeah, I'm sure the Republicans will refuse to offer public funds for all other stadium ventures too, though. :rolleyes:
I don't know, Durf. I admit that I didn't read the article fully. All I saw was how Soros wants a ball team, and the GOP ain't so happy.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
GOP supporters not happy? Great, rant away. That's freedom of speech, baby. GOP Congressthings throwing around weight to prevent people from doing business on the basis of their political beliefs? Um, that's the opposite, and we have a problem here.

If some Democrat on the Boise city council decided that he didn't like what Freemason had written in his letters to the editor and rejected his bid for a housing construction gig because he supported the wrong political view, Freemason would be in here foaming at the mouth about how his right to free speech was being trampled because he was being punished in a totally unrelated field. But this time it's a nassssty lib'rul getting the rubber end of the plunger, so it's somethng to cheer about . . . sigh.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Stoutwood said:
Democrats are anti-American, and if they own a baseball team, they will convert our beloved National Pastime into a perverted orgy of homosexual fornication, walk-in outdoor abortion centers, and anti-Bush parades.
No, not all Democratsss. Just Soros. :-D

Steel_Avatar said:
I don't know, Durf. I admit that I didn't read the article fully. All I saw was how Soros wants a ball team, and the GOP ain't so happy.
Short short version:

Republican Congresscritter: Hmm, George Soros wants to buy the Nats. I don't like that idea, and you know what, MLB might just find itself in trouble with that whole steroid issue again, nevermind all the leniency we're giving them on the anti-trust front. MLB, you will not allow George Soros to own the Nationals unless you want us to make your life a living hell--pick the group that Colin Powell is a part of instead.

At any rate, one good thing did come from this thread. We've learned that Freemason is in fact not a capitalist. I had suspicions all along. You know, Freemason, your politics would fit in great in most of the third world.