apparently, i can't drink

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
apparently, i can't drink

i found out the hard way this thanksgiving that I'm not a drinker. Yesterday, I found myself with a semi-alcholic drink (5% alcohol) and after half a bottle, my face turned bright red. I did feel a burning sensation before but never really thought about it much until my dad started to spaz out about my face and the drink in my hand.

I'm 17 in case anyone wants to know and i didn't really think a 5% alcoholic drink was that big of a deal. Apparently, my body lacks a certain enzyme for alcohol and it kinda runs in my family. My aunt can't drink either. ya I'm asian and i know a lot of the asian ppl who's face goes red as well.

Oh well.. this sucks seeing how I'm about to go to college next year and I just watched Beerfest getting my hopes all up lol

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm gonna guess a Smirnof!

Anyway, at least you found out like this, and not after a few shots/beers.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
Well i can't drink either but not in a way you have it - I just get terribly terribly depressed, like a big cloud swallowed me. No fun so I don't drink alcohol any longer.

Q33

Diabloii.Net Member
Go asian glow! I get it real bad. I drink practically nothing, and I start turning red.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea I think that's what he meant, because if you're talking about the triple distilled premium vodka, well lets just say thats not exactly 5% lol. Yea those ice things taste like sprites, and have almost no alcohol in them...ewww

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
most alcohol tastes nasty anyway.
WHAT?!?!? :laugh: I guess I'm abnormal. The only stuff I've tasted and not like immediately is wine, and even then, it is growing on me.

Sorry to hear you can't drink, man. But, it's not that big a deal. I didn't drink til I was 21, and I still had fun in college.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
WHAT?!?!? :laugh: I guess I'm abnormal. The only stuff I've tasted and not like immediately is wine, and even then, it is growing on me.
Note I said most. Actually, only 50% of people naturally like alcohol, it's just that some acquire the taste for it.

For the record, I do like wine - well, good wine. Some is terrible. Beer tastes like piss, and most alcoholic drinks would taste better without the alcohol.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm half-Chinese but luckily didn't inherit the alcohol thing.

Actually, considering how much I can spend in one night on drinks I'm not sure that it really is such a lucky thing.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
So no karaoke then?

Yay, racist jokes!

I have no idea how I'd handle alcohol, I'm guessing badly. I got mildly tipsy on half a bottle of chapagne once (it was in the limo on the way back from my wedding, I felt compelled to choke it all down out of respect for tradition), that's it.

I can't stand the taste of alcohol. A few sips and I can't stomach any more. Don't know why, I think maybe your tastes are supposed to change when you grow up but mine never did.

BlueDogAnchorite

Diabloii.Net Member
I hate the taste of all alcohol, although ocassionaly Baileys, tequilla and Jack daniels start tasting almost nice when I'm heavily inebriated.

I used to just ignore the taste when I was growing up and quite childishly started to bingedrink and see how far I could push myself. The problem is I usually only drank spirits because I have despsised all beer/lager etc beyond belief. This eneded up with me being that dumbass that necked large quantities of spirits to try to impress people.

Being able to drink lots always impressed and sometimes got respect from lots of people, even older ones. But why is this, it's so stupid and meaningless.
Perhaps I used to hang around with a lot of idiots .... but then I wouldn't remember.

I don't do this anymore of course, I finally started getting hangovers and I grew up.

Oh how I was hated for never getting hangovers in the past. But I got paid back a few months back when I had a small amount for my standards and was puking bile every ten minutes until late evening the next day.
It sucks when puking doesn't relieve you at all.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I do like the taste of Bailey's, although I can only drink it in very small amounts before the alcohol taste gets to me. I usually drink it with a bit of milk on the side to counter that.