Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon very unfortunate. That would essentially ruin what we are trying. I played MP back a long time back with someone I met on a sports forum on jsp, back before my last hard drive crash. It actually didn't lag bad at all once we got the right person set up to host. My internet is awful, but we were able to play and have a great time as long as other people in my house weren't begging it down with Netflix or something.

If there isn't a way to host steady games, it would most definitely take the steam out of the idea. Could still do the restart, fight for top level, MF and trade items. I was really looking forward to actual dueling, questing parties and things like Baal runs.

@srrw I'm probably not allowed to advertise here, but there is a private server that was around last I knew. It was like battle net, except admins showed up in random games, including private games, to make sure it was a real person. They did ladder restarts and a really cool system set up where you could go on a website and look at top ladder people(they had everytime b.net had, sc/hc/scclassic/hcclassic) and see all the gear they use and also type in character's names and see their gear and level and state and stuff.

It was a cool break from b.net, but I was in a phase where I was playing d2 less and less. I never really went back because I like this place and my internet sucks. It was literally b.net for the legit and the people showing up made sure no bots came (u could just say hi or talk to him and they would leave).

Now me and my buddy, as I had mentioned, were able to play LAN games on single player, even with my nightmarishly slow DSL. So I would think the right hosts could help.

I know I hosted before, but I think it was better for people work internet that is better then do up to host lol. I hope the internet doesn't ruin this for me and everyone else..... :(

I still have fun how we currently run things though:)

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@helvete haha I wan't nothing to do with b.net. Thee is a server that is legit and almost identical to b.net, but I don't want to play on some dude's forum I don't know and set up diablo to run on it.

If meeting up in MP games is going to be an issue with finding hosts and avoiding lag, I think we could either scratch the whole idea or minimize the impact that meeing up brings.

We have player settings, so we can still level up in P8 games. Of course it would nowhere near the quickness and efficiency of an actual 8 player game. We could use MP games for only trading or question through the game. I guess I really don't know how to deal with it.

I've always had crap internet, but was able to do MP games the last SP round I went before I lost all my stuff. I had l occasional lag issues, but nothing like going on b.net, assuming people weren't streaming Netflix or some crap. Maybe it is different now.

Does anyone plan on moving from SP to Bnet when the bnet ladder restarts? That could kill our plans, because I saw sort of thinking the beginning of May. I guess we could instead start our ladder like 3/4 through blizzards,so we would have people who are sick of b.net and want something new.

Would definitely help if we did all the side quests like dueling, finding items and winning stuff.

I imagine for most people it is hard to duel, knowing your competitors are going to have almost every item at their disposal. That would make this ladder league fun, because everyone has a shot to climb a dueling ladder per class and overall and then a place for finding items/runes and then leveling. Lots of options with comple fresh gear.

The more it gets talked about, the worst it sounds. Not that it sounds bad necessarily, but difficult to implement the best parts of it.

As for me, I am still very young on this d2 restart (2 years maybe since I had to start over). So not restarting wouldn't kill me, I have a lot more to do and find. I thought it would be a thing higher up guys would enjoy to keep it fresh and put them in the shoes of the fresh and new people.

Last edited:

logoutzero

Diabloii.Net Member
Just do it with a private channel and private games on bnet?
Now, there's a pretty good idea. Stable-ish, always on host, and I've wanted to check out the World Event and Uber event for YEARS as I've never experienced them.

I might spend the next few days solo'ing on the realms to see just how terrible the bandwidth is. I tried a couple years ago, and even when playing in a solo game, I'd spend 20 seconds whiffing on a target that apparently had died half a screen away from where I thought it was.

As a side note, is that what this fabled Banana channel I see mentioned was all about?

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@logoutzero that was partially the reason I quit b.net. My crap internet, coupled with their crap servers, made a 200 FCR Sorc play like a 63 FCR Sorc.. or worse. I had better days on Dial Up Internet in the early 2000s, no lie lol.

B.net is a pool of toxic, hacking, everyone bots, items duped to Hell, place of evil. I went to a private server that was identical, outside of people who monitored it to make sure no people were running bots or cheating.

But this place ended up being my favorite place by far and ended up my home. No server side lag bullcrap. Everything runs at full speed as far as the internet and cpu is concerned. Everyone here is all about legitimate play.

In my personal opinion, I would hate to go on b.net to run some separate type of thing. The only thing that would bring me back to b.net would be to play a reset. But I never bother to do it, because I prefer this and know I will get bored too fast when it's nothing but bots anymore and people running shady practices.

It has essentially turned into a place where the biggest hackers and cheaters win. And the only reason people play the resets are to make money early on and then some people run dozens of bots or more, just to resell the items in the form of JSP forum gold or money through some websites.

I have no idea why people play ladder just for the fun of it, when they are priced out and made unable to actually compete after a week or so, when the big players get their bots rolling and any self find items become practically worthless, unless super lucky.

I would much rather have a ladder via here if it was possible. It would muddle out any of the terrible server lag and the issue of all of the cheats getting tied up with what we do.

But I do realize hosting is what the issue may be. I know one guy was constantly trying to host games a few months back. I guess if we could get enough people to host or some really generous person to run a server for us. But I like sticking to the SP, so I am able to play normally when my internet is running like crap (95% of the time) and also when battle.net is running like crap(somewhere less than my 95%, but still lots of issues... but hey the game is like 20 years old... people are lucky they even still run servers for this game).

Last edited:

Gynli

Diabloii.Net Member
If your connection to the bnet is bad, itll be much MUCH worse when an individual tries to host a room; unless that host is literally sitting next to you.

Lag is something that did not occur to be at the time of reading the previous pages, i guess i just got too used to playing single player.

While i would get the liberty of hopping regions with one character - if i choose to play with someone on the otherside of the globe for example -, using the provided bnet servers and the ladder resets provided by blizzard seems to be the most realistic idea.

What i wouldnt give to have lagless bnet experience without the bots and trolls... :(

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm in a weekly group game on BNet. Ping is very good, although there is the occasional lag. But nowhere near the unplayable range.

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gynli when i played MP with this dude, we were able to play lag free games. I can't remember if it was him hosting or me. The guy didn't live too far away, if I recall correctly.

Either way, if we use battle.net, it will be a different experience for people who only so single player. At least as far as things like teleporting and timing on skills and not being able to do join too many games too fast and dealing with our programs not showing up and getting us banned from b.net.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
A host that is OK for MP and one that is OK for PvP is not the same thing.

Pre 1.13 there used to be lots of Baal runs games in the SPF. Access to respecs and the high end RWs basically killed it - it became more efficient to level on you own with a static map at /p8

Last edited:

Jamie

Diabloii.Net Member
@maxicek that is unfortunate. Playing with people on this forum would be fun. I can't stand the rude, botting, duping, bm populace of battle.net and jsp lol..

Jocular

Diabloii.Net Member
Hoping for a bit of advice :D I'm trying to figure out how to deal with physical immune monsters for my 2-handed Fendazon. The plan is for it to be a ranged attack since there will also be times that I will want to make some distance between myself and Fanat Extra Strong Extra Fast Frenzytaurs. For context here is my proposed skill layout:

Crit: 10
Fend: 20
Decoy: 15
Penetrate or Inner Sight: 20

This is a total of 69 skill points (including pre-reqs). Assuming the free skill quests points, there's about 20-25 skill points left to play with. Here are a few options I'm playing around with:

Option 1: Put 10 points into cold and fire arrow until ~20% of physical bow damage is converted into elemental damage. Cons would be low damage. Pros would be ability to deal with virtually any monster, albeit very slowly.

Option 2: Put 20 points into magic arrow, for 20% of physical bow damage is converted into magic damage. Cons would be low damage again, and the possibility of being stalled against magic/phys immune monsters. Pros would be the relative rarity of magic immune monsters.

Option 3: Put 1 point into lightning bolt, and 20 into either fire or cold arrow. Pros: Much higher damage, and the ability to kill any monster regardless of immunity. Cons: Having to swap between javelin and bow could be annoying. Also, it could be quite difficult to find a high damage javelin. Plus, the dex requirement of elite javs may really reduce my life pool (though balrog spear ain't bad, only 95 dex). Harmony is easy for the bow side.

Option 4: Just use harmony's auto attack damage to kill immune monsters. I've never tried this, does it do enough damage?

Any thoughts on my proposed paths?

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
@Jocular One option you didn't list is Freezing Arrow. That does more damage than whatever Fire+Cold Arrow could do and has the added bonus of freezing immune monsters (except for the Frenzytaurs in the Throneroom) .

You can even increase freeze length with cold damage sources on your equip to get extra safety. (The Ice Arrow Synergy is not worth it btw, it only adds 2s with a 20 skill point investment and that amount of freeze length can spawn on a small charm)

Generally all the conversion skills do basically nothing unless you have decent damage, but FA isn't dependent on that.

---

In your option 2 you talk about being stalled by magic/phys immune monsters. There are very few magic immune monsters and no regular/minion monsters that are magic and physical immune. This can only spawn on bosses and is one of the rarest immunity combination in the whole game. (except for Poison/Magic which only one has: Achmel)

---

Two more options:

Max out Plague Javelin which does decent damage and stops regeneration on those though monsters (for that reason you could also use it against non-immunes)

A completely different approach would be to use Charged Strike which can be very powerful even without synergies. But that would be significantly riskier.

Jocular

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the in depth response. I hate to be cookie cutter, but it really seems like having a melody bow or wizendraw on swap to use FA would be my best bet. Trying to find a javelin with high enough ED% for lightning bolt to be effective might take forever. Though what I do like about lightning bolt is that it immediately does 100% (*3/4) of the javelin's throw damage at slvl 1. And I think it has the chance to outdamage FA for single targets at slvl 20. But then I would be outta luck against PI/LI stuff. Hmm.

Last edited:

Gynli

Diabloii.Net Member
Another option is a WWS. Innate lvl 20 MA + ctc Amp. 2os for customization to boot.

My take on it, if you do decide to use it, is a Nef + Dol in it with max 7 points into strafe. Requires very little skill investment for a wide range of utility. You can/should take the extra skill points to max out both decoy and valk.

Jocular

Diabloii.Net Member
Forgot to mention that she's untwinked, or else WWS would solve my problems. And I'm avoiding Valk because fend is very bugged, any points into d/a/e could cause a lot of problems.

Gynli

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah i see. Forgot that you went the valkless route and not the high-defense with d/a/e.

A bit unconventional, but if untwinked, you should consider act 5 merc with lawbringer. Amn + Lem + Ko is not the hardest runes to come by even during single-pass; so its cheap enough to make untwinked. Its decrep breaks a lot of physical immunes. Even better, the sanctuary aura sets physical resistances of all undead mobs to 0, completely removing physical immunity - and there are only few monsters that are naturally PI and not undead.

If you plan to stick with the usual act 2 merc, Harmony usually serve as endgame weapon for untwinked bowas or as a stepping stone to faith/wf/buriza. It can roll up to 270ed along with rainbow elemental dmg, so technically nothing will be immune to it. Its only downside is the lack of ias. Lvl 13 MA for 0 mana cost + no need for arrow + magic as another type of damage seems like a good setup.

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gynli Only the supplier of sanctuary gets the 'ignore undead physical resist' bonus. So the merc would basically be there for decrepify and knocking monsters back. The latter is actually very powerful and at least CS should be much easier with it.

srrw

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Points in Strafe, combined with Harmony and Open Wounds/Slow target/Cold damage etc.
2. Shopping high elemental damage throwing weapons
3. Riphook/WWS drop.
4. Magic arrow /w Harmony

Most of the options really depend on your drops so you'll have to roll with what you're given. Unless you want to go for CS and melee, ranged options varie a lot.

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
I need a reality check. I don't have any immediate access to eth BAs, 1.07 bases or enough Lo Runes to roll a 39 CB Grief; also I'm willing to ATMA bug.
Is there anything wrong with making an eth Zweihander Grief after a Grief PB? Damage would be higher as well as range. I don't see any drawbacks but maybe it's something subtle. (Reasoning: PB for use on all characters and then ZH for WW)