Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Improvement I'd suggest is a different one. Infinity instead of Insight cuz roughly 1/4 of time those mummies are breakably cold immune and others become breakably immune (115 cres) when cold enchanted + magic resistant combo. Also tiny fraction of time unbreakably immune when all 3 modifiers that offer resistance come together in particular order, but is very rare event. Infinity will make you kill faster indeed since you won't have to deal with immunes so often as you need to now, so merc damage will be of much less importance. With Infinity he kills fast enough anyway.

Instead of nagels, you could use 1x or 2x SoJ to boost mana to heaven, so even without Insight sorc will have considerable mana regen. Drawback is I don't use ES on my sorc so I don't know how much of drawback is to have ES without Insight, but dual Soj should handle that I guess. Maybe worth to try, you decide.

Don't have suggestion about the rest.

If you go Infinity route, you could use less points to Cold Mastery and probably strenghten something else (Warmth? Cold armor?). Dunno. Possibilities with Infinity are infinite! If you have it and can use it easily.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
insight is just soooo convenient for mana, though (and prayer = hp). Yes, especially with ES which I've thought about briefly but do not think I would remove ES even though I'd gain several skill points.

I suppose switching from wizzeh to hoto is an option at the cost of a lot of MF (charms and nagel and ist in wizzeh) but I can get more skills from just putting on beta BKWBs.

I thought about phoenix briefly as well but spirit is just too good.

Treeharl

Diabloii.Net Member
@pharphis Or should I say both are overpowered to almost broken ^^. If the investment of two of the best ingame rws is at a maximum of a Sol something is imo just wrong here... Phoenix is awesome to use combined with an infinity (moar broken stuff) fireball sorc. If your sorc isn't fire don't bother and spend your hrs on eni (even moar overpowered items)

But yes 35% fcr 2 skills 100+ mana and 55 fhr is just everything, combine this with unlimited mana from insight. Still as classic player I rather use obedience on my merc instead of insight because I just buy the pots and obedience ca does alright + cb takes bosses down. If I had the runes and the 15% ed gpa I might concider using botd.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
The thing is Insight gives merc great amount of critical strike which paired with great AR bonus outdamages both Botd and Obedience, and as a bonus offers some MF and meditation.

I tried AT sorc again and I think ES might be annoying without Insight. Sorry HC players, Infinity is better suited for SC! Oh, and in 50 runs I did, only 4 bosses were cold immune, so killing is in fact going faster cuz of conviction, and drinking pots here and there cuz of mana burn / HP is not a real drawback. Though my sorc is not made for Infinity, I might remake her cuz it is simply superior to Insight in SC.

Last edited:

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
With so few cold immunes, isn't high lvl cold mastery sufficient? Especially since conviction isn't instantaneous.

That said, I did swap to /p1 for a few runs and omg it's way easier. 1 blizz is usually sufficient but I can spam glacial spike towards the boss if necessary ofc. This is making me think I may need a faster map :/

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess despite conviction it is better to stay high on cold mastery indeed. Profit on mana regen is very low anyway.
I usually do spam something toward boss since blizzard is unreliable. Dancing "invincible" mummies in blizzard rain is the best thing on the world.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
If I calculate right, 3 out of 4 monsters in AT have 1/572 chance to turn unbreakably immune to cold since all 3 mods must be present (spectral hit, magic resistant and cold enchanted) in specific order (spectral hit must not be selected after cold enchanted).

Embalmed or whatever name is have 33 coldress base, and they can turn unbreakably immune as long as they are cold enchanted and either spectral hit or magic resistant or both, when cold enchanted cannot be selected before the other two. It happens once per 24 killed bosses. Something like that.

So on my 300 killed bosspacks I encountered 4 unbreakable, and expectation was to find 2.8 of them (including the fact every fifth pack is championpack that cannot be immune).

Without infinity, 3/4 of boss types have ~4% chance to turn immune on cold, while Embalmed has 23% to turn immune to cold. On 300 bosspacks killed expectation is then to find 21.4 immune bosses. Or your merc will have to work overtime 7.5 times more if you don't use Infinity.

EDIT
meh, forgot about the rule monster can't be immune on more than 2 elements at a time... So there are more limitations etc.

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that when @Gripphon is talking about very low amount of CI's here, it's with Conviction, so only the unbreakable ones. I have the impression that @pharphis is thinking that Gripphon means total amount of CI's, so not counting Conviction. Just to clear things up. Or did I just add to the confusion ... ? :oops:

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I compared numbers with and without Infinity. But, I think Infinity is pretty much weapon that could give advantage to slower players in comparison to Insight so they don't have to deal with CI's. If you are very fast runner, then it seems to me all the advantage Infinity gives melts away cuz of drinking pots cuz of mana burn and you have to pick them up more frequently. In the end they come up somewhat even, but Insight is definitely offering more relaxed running overall.

I'm again comparing 105 vs 63 fcr sorc and I still can't manage to go faster with 105 fcr even though, by all possible logic, it should be happening. But it is not. I blame the fact I'm used to 63 fcr more and am positioning myself more precisely and actually faster than with 105 fcr. This is the third time I do this tests without actually seeing 105 fcr beating 63.

Well, I similarly compared 35 vs 55 IAS for Baal javazon with conclusion there is no difference between them, even though in theory 55 IAS should normally win.

Diablo is strange world.

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
Started new character: Summon Necro named IndianaBones. Deleted the sorceress xD. So far so good, p8, lvl 12 or 13, killed Blood Raven and cleared Stony Field. Found Arctic Furs in Mausoleum. Cool. The BEST armor for A1. And even if the defense given by it will be about a half of the possible A2 armors, the +10% all res is a very good and desirable thing.

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
I saw this MF frenzy barb build and it's got my wheels turning. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

sword/frenzy/1 point zerk/find item barbarian

Weapon 1: Grief PB.
Weapon 2: Last Wish PB
Helm: Shako (ist)
Armor: Enigma
Gloves: Chance guards
Boots: War travelers
Belt: up'd Goldwrap
Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
Ring 1: Raven Frost
Ring 2: any nice rare mf ring or a 30 nagel if you can't find one.

weapon swap: Spirit swords x2 (for fcr, +4 warcry boost, and fhr/mana when teleporting) Edit: Why not 2 hotas here?
Charms: a mix of sharp grand charms and 7% mf scs

Mercinary: Faith bow act 1 mercinary

The last wish is the big question mark here. Obviously it has might and fade and the massive crushing blow, but I have heard that it just doesn't do the job damage-wise.

The other thing that is concerning is resists obviously. Fade adds to that but is it reliable enough? Is it worth the slower last wish?

To me, it looks like an extremely versatile runner, but obviously I haven't tried it.

Last edited:

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Ravenfrost and "MF" don't mix together well cuz Item Find is THE skill for barb, and having 20% chance to shatter corpses will hurt much more than little extra AR from Raven will benefit you. Rather use AR rare ring if you lack AR, or simply 2 Nagels as standard MF setup for barb. They also have AR!

This build can work, but I think you would want mana leech from ring since mana is what might cause problems otherwise. General tip is to just make sure nor you nor merc have any source of cold damage (shatters corpses, remember)

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Looks like a serviceable build, though as grip says Ravenfrost is a terrible choice and should never be used for MFing and you need some mana leech (I'd want life leech too if at all possible, since I'd rather not 100% rely on Last Wish's proc) though even with mana leech you're likely to have some mana issues. Clearly at that point you'd either need to Cham the Harley or use Trang's Belt (and different gloves if you need the IAS from Goldwrap.) There's nothing keeping your from using HotO on switch.

Seems like it's notably less efficient and tougher to control than a Berserker, though, so the only reason I see it being worth playing is if you particularly want to use Frenzy (if you for some reason want to kill non-champion or unique monsters in your MF runs and want to use a barb, WW is just better and obviously Berserk is the better pure MF choice) but if that's the way you want to play with those changes this isn't bad, though I assume a better setup does exist.

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
Just finished A3 on normal. IndianaBones hit lvl 33 just before fight with Meph. The Council dropped 3 set items (1st time). Meph drops were really... me(p)h. Nothing special. Also, I can't get a better wand than my +3 Skeleton Mastery. Seems like I will spend my normal playthrough in the same gear. Every head I find is useless to me. Now, it's time to enter Hell. But first, a shower and a walk and then some mephruns.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Found my first eth ginther's rift. Would be an ideal (by which I mean the worst possible choice) for a zod god grailer because of the +dura, +repair/sec, and being a phase blade after being upgraded. Too bad it's hard to find a perfect one :/

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
Just got Goldwrap ! I'm in A1 nightmare. I'm getting more S/Us than on normal. Unfortunately, switching my Arctic belt for Goldwrap would hurt me (-10% MF) and I already more than -10 MF because I switched a 15% MF circlet for a helm with Lore runeword. If I switch to Goldwrap, my MF would be less than 150%. It's about 152% now, as far as I remember.