Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NorthDakota, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

You could switch user in Windows and do a mp game that way. Bit more annoying than dll method. There was a program that can be used to mule. It does other things not allowed here, just don't use those features

2. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Just set up a few more users if running winXP or higher (which I would assume). Then you can use win key + L to quickly switch between users. Start a multi game with one user, then join with another. Using the same install isn't a problem, though 1.00 has a tendency to use a lot of CPU.

I'd recommend to start both a sorc and a barb. Barb will suffer from around lvl 22+ and needs to get to lvl 30. Sorc will have trouble with strong enemies like Duriel and Diablo. IIRC, I leveled in Canyon of the Magi by using static+firewall and having the barb hanging around in a safe place. Maggot young give xp and are in endless supply. Might have been River of Flame, when I think about it.

Few points to consider:
    - WW mana cost is high. Without mana leech, it's a no go. It does however attempt to attack on every frame regardless of weapon speed, which makes for so many attacks that AR hardly matters.
    - Swords and maces are bugged to do their one-handed damage even if wielded two-handed. Which makes maces useless and swords a bad option. I went for a pike (lances can't drop) and I shred everything in act 4 hell with 4 mules in the game. Some weapons (Ancient Axes and Bec De Corbins come to mind) have higher damage, but also higher requirements.
    - WW doesn't work with dual wield; only one weapon is used. This makes one-handers a bad option, even safety-wise, since leech will be higher with two-handers.
    - Leech works on anything, including act bosses, skeletons and towers.
    - There is no cast delay on anything, so you can stack firewalls stupidly fast. Refilling mana in town is bothersome, but still the best option.
    - Cow level wasn't restricted to one king kill until 1.02 so you can kill the cow king over and over to get the uniques which are expensive to gamble
    - Except for sigons shield, there are no set items which doesn't have a better rare/unique or even magic option. Some of them does sell for a surprising amount of gold, though, so they are kinda worth checking out for that reason.
    - Keep your hopes down for the stats of uniques. Most of them have key stats missing when comparing to 1.07+ versions
    - Jewelry has low sell value, so cube 3 rings to get an amulet and 3 amulets to get a ring. Doesn't have to be magic input, but output is always magic. Great way to get those early leech items.
    - When in NM/Hell, MSLE is just as deadly as we remember it from 1.07-1.09
    - Teleport is the most annoying boss stat, and may make them unkillable.
    - Drops aren't half as random as even 1.07 so consider rerolling map if the Cow King keeps giving you items you're not interested in.
    - MF is pretty much a waste until late game.
    - Gems have no use at all (except for possibly diamonds in shield). Save them on mules for 1.07
    - There is no way to socket any item except for the (useless) socketed Long Sword.
    - No option for rerolling rares, though magics can be rerolled. Waste of pgems, since there are no magic only affixes.
    - Gambling unique rings/amulets is best done with a low lvl char. Lvl 5 or 7 would be optimal for uniques. Uniques and sets have no qlvl; if the base item is in the gambling screen, it could be set/unique
    - Gambling rares is a different story, as you'll want to concider affix lvls for the higher affixes. The affix pool is very limited though. No +skilltab items and very few elemental damage affixes.

coju and maxicek like this.
  3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Thanks for all that, very useful. I'm playing in Win2K, so fast user switching isn't an option. It is running on a virtual machine (Mac), maybe I can run two simultaneously.

4. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

There was a 1.00 dll that someone made floating around somewhere but last I recall it was a dead link. Most people just use a 1.04 or 1.06 dll without issue, I believe. If you're comfortable with a hex editor there are resources (mostly in modding communities) that detail the instance cap code or whatever it is.

5. Jcakes

Jcakes Diabloii.Net Member

1.06 dll works iirc. Alternatively pm me your email and I'll send you one.

6. JacobMiller

JacobMiller Diabloii.Net Member

Im currently building a hammerdin. Just made him an enigma and cta. Was just wondering what merc everyone thinks is best? He will probably be my pit and rof runner. Defiance or Holy freeze?

7. bodry

bodry Diabloii.Net Member

Holy freeze for superior crowd control. Give him eth Insight and leeching helm+Ias.

8. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I always used prayer merc with insight for convenience.

9. maxicek

Many suggest not to use HF so that boss packs don't go blue and are therefore easier to spot.

For CS I have normally run HF, but probably Might if not. Defiance never.

Edit: Sorted out my 1.00 dll, thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  10. Timinator

I got my 1.08 sorc into act 2 normal today! Thats a long time coming. No great finds yet, slowly leveling etc, currently level 10.

11. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Diabloii.Net Member

Hello folks.

Not sure if anyone is still here from days of yore when I used to post here, but nice to drive by and see the place is still humming! :)

12. Smancer

Smancer Diabloii.Net Member

You still playing, or thinking about it?

Funny enough just clicking on your profile one of your posts years ago was on what you hoped for in D3. For me D3 was kind of fun to play for a few weeks as a gauntlet brawler type game, but lacked any sort of depth that D2 has.

Kitteh likes this.
  13. Spearthrower

I occasionally pop into the game for an hour or two, but I've played all the classes so many times (albeit years ago) that there's nothing new I can think of to thrill me into playing for long.

Sadly, the same for me. I played a thrower barb, and a witch-doctor, and by the end of that I was bored. It's the lack of randomization in the maps that really limited my interest.

It's a bit like Titan Quest in that regard. Love the setting, love the classes, but I can only play a couple of times without being bored knowing where the exit of each screen is.

14. Timinator

@Spearthrower not sure if you remember me? Good to see you around

15. Spearthrower

The name does ring a bell, but ye gads it was half a lifetime ago! :D

Timinator likes this.
  16. maxicek

Hey Spearthrower. Back to battle the squid once more?

17. Spearthrower

Wherever there are squiddies, I'll be there! :D

Kitteh likes this.
  18. Smancer

Some stupid questions. On my home diablo screen it says v1.13

1) How can I tell if that is vanilla 1.13 or 1.13d or something else?

2) Is there any rune drop rate differences between the 1.13 versions? I couldn't find a reliable answer searching. Reason is I have been running LK for a month now and the best rune I have found is an um. Really disappointing. I imagine it is something like calorie counting, where if you aren't tracking it you probably aren't eating what you think you are. And I am probably not running as much as I think...

3) So what trackers do you use and how do you set them up?

19. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

1) If you open up the Patch.txt file in your game folder it will tell you which version you have running.

2) As far as I know they are the same

3) I'm not sure what you mean by trackers, there are run counters in the FAQ

Smancer likes this.
  20. Smancer

Thanks I ended up doing a complete reinstall from a 1.12 installer I had downloaded in 2012.

I didn't properly backup one of my characters so I ended up losing quite a bit of stuff. I am pretty sad about that. Now I only have my blizz sorc and my necro from the 99 untwinked thread.

I made a new assassin. I have always wanted to get one thru hell.

I found the run counters in the faq as you mentioned and used the gomule RC.jar. And it turns out I was right, I thought I was doing hundreds of runs, but I was surprised at how long it took just to do 50.

Funny thing is of those 50 runs I did end up getting a Gul rune as the best drop, but it wasn't in LK, it was from AT when I stopped to do a couple runs to refill full rejuvs.

Even with a harmony bow It is taking me about 36-40 sec per LK run. I am considering rerolling maps to find a circular to get back to Act 4. The run thru Act 3 with harmony is about 10-12 seconds of the run.