Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Jcakes

Diabloii.Net Member
Smiter? I don't know. I want to kill Uber Diablo in SP. SP needs forum-OK mod for that. All it requires is a lot of time and effort and computer abilities that I have completely no knowledge of. :D
I used to hunt dclone back in my bnet days. A smite with grief, dracs and guillames was all you needed.

bodry

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to hunt dclone back in my bnet days. A smite with grief, dracs and guillames was all you needed.
Farmed him with 'Black' Flail and Life Tap charges and Treachery prebuff. I think thats the cheapest. :)
What you need: high Crushing Blow, max resists and Life Tap.
The build can be Kicker, Smiter, Zealot (they have 1 point Smite for Holy Shield, ehich is enough).

Well geared hammerdin, javazon, sorceress can do it easily, but they are in the HR department.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én X9180-el

Jcakes

Diabloii.Net Member
Farmed him with 'Black' Flail and Life Tap charges and Treachery prebuff. I think thats the cheapest. :)
What you need: high Crushing Blow, max resists and Life Tap.
The build can be Kicker, Smiter, Zealot (they have 1 point Smite for Holy Shield, ehich is enough).

Well geared hammerdin, javazon, sorceress can do it easily, but they are in the HR department.

To be fair on dupenet back in the day a black fail and grief cost about the same [emoji2]

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Lets play "guess what is unusual on this screenshot".

Answer:
See that lightning resist shrine? See the area it spawned in? Stony Field. It shouldn't spawn before outer cloister area. Well why it spawned? This is incredibly rare event. I'm paying attention to shrines from the first time I saw resist cold resist shrine also in Stony Field. This is first lightning shrine I saw in Stony Field or Dark Woods areas. Apparently this happens when game checks shrines up to 8 times at random, and if all 8 times game selects shrine which cannot spawn in area due to too low ID level of area, then game automatically spawns last checked shrine, which happened to be lightning shrine in this case. Cool heh.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Had no idea about shrine mechanics. Interesting. So what's the probability of it being something it shouldn't, then? How many shrines are there and how many cannot spawn that early?

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't know about exact probability, but it is rare event. Like once in 2000 shrines? Something in those lines. To be cold resist, poison resist or lite resist, any of those.

Combat shrine, cold resist, poison resist and lightning resist shrines are the only ones who are not supposed to spawn that early. All other shrines spawn regularly. Areas I talk about are Stony Field and Dark Woods, I'm not 100% sure about Black Marsh and combat shrines there.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Just two tiers of shrines then? Would this mean that gem/exp shrine hunting is far better in those early areas than in other areas?

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't know about tiers, but there is some info about shrines in this post.

Shrines and Associated Odds

Idea of greater odds due to less shrines in first few areas of act 1 occurred to me as well, but I didn't test that with great detail, only have some data in like 1k runs I did. As per tests, that shrine in act 4 I run produces gem shrine more or less at similar frequencies as other shrines in act 1. If there is a difference, it is hard to notice. Proper testing should involve several shrines from act 1 and from other acts (any shrine can spawn as soon as outer cloister area in act 1 apparently).

Also testing should be made between difficulties to see is there any difference in spawn frequency of certain shrines. I do running on hell and my data is for hell difficulty only.

Based on my limited knowledge of shrine mechanics and based on that post I linked, there shouldn't really be any difference in spawn frequency of shrines, except for those who are of too high ID level in comparison to area (irrelevant after outer cloister area).

BBS_Agonistes

Diabloii.Net Member
Question:

What AR should I shoot for on a PvM Charger with ITD on the weapon?

My current AR is over 10k just for overkill (Angelic ring), but after doing some CTH calculations, I'm not sure what a good AR would be.

With ITD, I know I will basically be hitting any standard monster even with a cruddy attack rating. (For example, level 83 char has a 91% chance to hit lvl90+ monster even with just 1300 AR). But ITD doesn't work on everyone, and I can calculate my chance to hit Baal fairly easily, but what about the average unique monster on which ITD does not work? Does anyone know the average defense of a Hell Unique? I tried to look around, but didn't have much luck.

I calculated using Bremm Sparkfist as what I thought might be typical for a Hell unique even though he is a superunique. Level 86/1777 defense. With my char at level 85-
AR @ 6500 = 78% Chance to hit
AR @ 10K = 84% Chance to hit

In your general experience, is the extra 6% worth the extra AR (3400) which would result in me giving up damage, safety, etc.? Obviously, there are a lot of gear possibilities, and really too many to calculate the exact effectiveness of any given set up, so I'm just looking for what you guys would shoot for in terms of AR on such a character.

I was thinking ~6500 AR might be sufficient for most gameplay. I can easily get to 10k+, but I feel it sacrifices too many other variables from equip slots for a slight advantage on unique monsters. Plus, I can just smite Act end bosses with a lot of CB if I need to.

Am I thinking in the right direction? What AR do you guys shoot for on melee characters?

Last edited:

bodry

Diabloii.Net Member
Question:

What AR should I shoot for on a PvM Charger with ITD on the weapon?

My current AR is over 10k just for overkill (Angelic ring), but after doing some CTH calculations, I'm not sure what a good AR would be.

With ITD, I know I will basically be hitting any standard monster even with a cruddy attack rating. (For example, level 83 char has a 91% chance to hit lvl90+ monster even with just 1300 AR). But ITD doesn't work on everyone, and I can calculate my chance to hit Baal fairly easily, but what about the average unique monster on which ITD does not work? Does anyone know the average defense of a Hell Unique? I tried to look around, but didn't have much luck.

I calculated using Bremm Sparkfist as what I thought might be typical for a Hell unique even though he is a superunique. Level 86/1777 defense. With my char at level 85-
AR @ 6500 = 78% Chance to hit
AR @ 10K = 84% Chance to hit

In your general experience, is the extra 6% worth the extra AR (3400) which would result in me giving up damage, safety, etc.? Obviously, there are a lot of gear possibilities, and really too many to calculate the exact effectiveness of any given set up, so I'm just looking for what you guys would shoot for in terms of AR on such a character.

I was thinking ~6500 AR might be sufficient for most gameplay. I can easily get to 10k+, but I feel it sacrifices too many other variables from equip slots for a slight advantage on unique monsters. Plus, I can just smite Act end bosses with a lot of CB if I need to.

Am I thinking in the right direction? What AR do you guys shoot for on melee characters?
With Grief (and other ITD weapons) I shoot for at least 75% to hit, that is around maybe 6k AR. With non ITD, I usually try to hit 10k AR. These are personal preference of course.

BBS_Agonistes

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks. I "felt" like ~6k would be sufficient, but I didn't want to be selling myself short if you other more experienced (and more mathematical) players knew better.

bodry

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks. I "felt" like ~6k would be sufficient, but I didn't want to be selling myself short if you other more experienced (and more mathematical) players knew better.
Imo the other stats you can get by ignoring high AR are worth it. Namely deadly strike, leech and CTC Curses are much more valuable in my eyes than AR. AR and resists can be obtained vie Charms while the lesser are not.