Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Now that you say it, that rings a bell!

Oh well, D2 is such a never ending learning experience.

twillight

Diabloii.Net Member
I think D2 holds nothing new for me - in sake of reasonable challenges at least.

Here are the characters I had since the beginning (will tell you why):
- spear amazon
- bow amazon
- javelin amazon (ok, I just did some Diablo-run to lvl a firend's char, but that was enough)
- martial arts assa (in 1.07)
- (lightning) trap assa
- pure shadow assa
- bone necro
- melee necro (self-find single player untwinked)
- summoner necro
- mace/concentration/berserk barb
- sword or axe/frenzy barb (always died with it against a balrog-sigil)
- throwing baba
- bow enchantress, using hydra (this was my highly twinked character too)
- Fo/Fb/Cb sorc
- Fo/Fwall/Lstorm sorc (1.07)
- pure summon druid (stuck at A5 Nm)
- feral rage/armageddon druid
- hurricane/summon druiid (1.07)
- werebear druid
- sacrifice/cleansing pala
- shocker pala (using upped quest items, wirt's leg, and normal)
- avenger pala
- hammer pala

Builds I know exist but don't care:
- poison necro
- singer baba
- whirlwinder
- (frost) nova sroc
- inferno sorc
- itemfind sorc (meteor/blizzard)
- tornado druid
- smiter
- thorns/conversion pala

So what leaves this to me?
A fury druid maybe? What for? How different would it be from let say, a shocker? Mentioning shocker, fanaticism pala is the same shoe as far as I can see.
Or pure golemancer? Seriously?

Did I miss a skill?
I certainly did not miss any type of equipment from using.

So, you have a suggestion?

Pyrotechnician

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I didn't cross reference your list, but this is the table I reference every time I want to make a new character, maybe it will give you some ideas, but most builds are just different combinations of skills and some don't have any variation in play style from a similar type of build (All zeal based builds for example):

Amazon
GA/Strafe Zon
GA/MS Zon
FA/Strafe Zon
Mage Zon
FuryZon
Poison Zon
Spear Zon
Passive Zon

Item Based:
Fuzzy Dodger
Zeal Zon

Assassin
Lightning Trap Sin
Fire Trap Sin
Fury Sin
Kicker
Explosion Kicker
Phoenix Striker
Tiger Strike Sin
Fire Dancer
Lightning Dancer

Item Based:
Bear Sin
Rift Kicker

Barbarian
Concentrate
Beserk
Frenzy
Whirlwind
Singer
Throw Barb
Leap Barb

Item Based:
Wolf Barb
Frenzied Zeal Barb
Inferno/ArticWind Barb

Druid
Fury/Feral Wolf
Mauler
Fire Claws Bear
Windy
Fire Elemental
Summoner
Hunter
Rabies Wolf

Item Based:
Earthshifter Druid

Necromancer
Bone Necro
Poison Necro
Summoner Necro
Summoner/Explosion Necro
Golemancer
Mojomancer
Poison Dagger Necro

Item Based:
Melee Poison Necro - Botd
Melee Bone Necro - Bonehew/Oath
Ranged Bone Necro - Brand

Paladin
Fanatic
Avenger
Fanatic Avenger
Teslot
Frostadin
Firedin
Hammerdin
FOHer
Medic
Ranger
Smiter

Item Based:
Dreamdin
Riftadin

Sorceress
Pure Cold
Pure Fire
Pure Lightning
FO/Nova
FO/Firewall
CB/Hydra
FO/Firewall/Nova
Ranged Enchantress

Item Based:
Zeal Sorc
Bear Sorc

tiac

Diabloii.Net Member
A few builds I didn't see on either list are the Blade Fury sin, Rabies/Fury wolf, and the item-dependant WWsin

BBS_Agonistes

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome list, Pyro! I'm going to have to check back at that in a while.
Paladin
Fanatic
Avenger
Fanatic Avenger
Teslot
Frostadin
Firedin
Hammerdin
FOHer
Medic
Ranger
Smiter

Item Based:
Dreamdin
Riftadin
No Charger on the Pally list, though? :( I'm making a Charger right now. Quite underrated, and gives a completely different play style than other Paladin builds. I was prepared for it being horrible since most people say PvM Chargers are terrible, but it's actually been one of my more enjoyable builds! EDIT: But I'm a weird person, so no one go make a Charger and then hate it, and then hate me for it. :D

Last edited:

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
It is always possible to change the challenge itself to be able to play the game in completely different way. There are several challenges in diablo, they are actually different from one another.

First challenge is to try to beat the game with various builds, with or without some tournament rules. Also untwinked/single pass/whatever. I do think majority of people fall in this kind of challenge.

Second challenge is to optimize characters to make them as best as possible at some certain task. For example travincal blizzard sorc, AT sorc, pit zerker and so on. Kind of efficiency challenge. This is where I belong 99% of time. This is where hardcore character planning and godly equipment is too. This is where typical cookie cutter builds can still be improved.

Third challenge is PvP. No matter how strong char you have, you will eventually die from someone. This is 1% of my time just because of rarity of events.

For me then, changing challenge from second to first would mean playing the game in completely different way and I would have tons of exploring to do. Same if someone change himself from first to second challenge. Or third. There are more challenges of course, but those I consider as 3 most basic types of challenges in diablo.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Have to admit I'm pretty impressed by the concept of having completed all the builds you can think of. Of course I keep coming up with ideas like Claw/Claw Zealsins and Berserker Druids that no sane mind would entertain, so that's an issue.

If you're done, enjoy being done. If you want another challenge, you can definitely find one if you look.

Cyrax

Diabloii.Net Member
Doing lots of different builds is a great thing. But when i saw challenges and only read different builds i was both confused and disappointed.

There's so much more than just different builds. Grip already named some other things like pvp. But there's so much more! Do naked chars. Challenge pretty much guaranteed. Grails, you got regular grail, perfect grail, RW grail and probably some more obscure ones too. Go for lvl 99. Only like 35 or 36 chars have reached that before so that seems to be kinda challenging. And ofc there's tournaments. Often 'just' a variation in playstyle. But with tough enough restrictions they can be very difficult.

Oh and before i forget (mostly just not to piss off phar): zod god tournament. ;)

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
Time traveling is what finally brought me back. I find it fascinating that the rules themselves change as you traverse the patches. It's like walking through different worlds. Of course pondering the items and changes also get really exciting once you consider the possibility of pushing items and characters forward in time. Then it really becomes a sort of "planes walker" moment when you travel back in time 10 years and defeat Diablo to get a sword to give to your future self to defeat Diablo. It's pretty trippy.

Pyrotechnician

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Awesome list, Pyro! I'm going to have to check back at that in a while.

No Charger on the Pally list, though? :( I'm making a Charger right now. Quite underrated, and gives a completely different play style than other Paladin builds. I was prepared for it being horrible since most people say PvM Chargers are terrible, but it's actually been one of my more enjoyable builds! EDIT: But I'm a weird person, so no one go make a Charger and then hate it, and then hate me for it. :D
Ah, missed that one. But I also already have one "in progress" so to speak, he is level 22 somewhere in normal, aptly named The_Cavalry and he'll be full on damage (Fanac with biggest hurty stick I can find). I had one of these back on the realms with a botd Tmaul and he was amazingly fun but also at times amazingly difficult. If that knockback chain doesn't work right it can get messy real fast.

Also when I get far enough with my medic I intend to make him a hybrid so to speak so that I can actually do something other than shoot holy bolts to heal the merc. My idea is to run cleansing aura with an insight stick, maxing Prayer and Holy bolt of course. After that I will max charge and a synergy probably and equip an insignt archon staff so I can do decent damage output without pushing my strength requirements up since everything else will be caster oriented.

I'll also probably combine the Spear Zon with the Poison Jav Zon since neither are huge skill investments. Titans + Shield to throw a plague jav, and then weapon switch to a big pointy thing to jab (or fend if I can stand the bug).

It is always possible to change the challenge itself to be able to play the game in completely different way. There are several challenges in diablo, they are actually different from one another.

First challenge is to try to beat the game with various builds, with or without some tournament rules. Also untwinked/single pass/whatever. I do think majority of people fall in this kind of challenge.

Second challenge is to optimize characters to make them as best as possible at some certain task. For example travincal blizzard sorc, AT sorc, pit zerker and so on. Kind of efficiency challenge. This is where I belong 99% of time. This is where hardcore character planning and godly equipment is too. This is where typical cookie cutter builds can still be improved.

Third challenge is PvP. No matter how strong char you have, you will eventually die from someone. This is 1% of my time just because of rarity of events.

For me then, changing challenge from second to first would mean playing the game in completely different way and I would have tons of exploring to do. Same if someone change himself from first to second challenge. Or third. There are more challenges of course, but those I consider as 3 most basic types of challenges in diablo.
Everyone has their different things they focus on, you just have to choose what interests you the most.

Have to admit I'm pretty impressed by the concept of having completed all the builds you can think of. Of course I keep coming up with ideas like Claw/Claw Zealsins and Berserker Druids that no sane mind would entertain, so that's an issue.

If you're done, enjoy being done. If you want another challenge, you can definitely find one if you look.
I like your crazy ideas, but I can only picture myself doing item based builds that have a synergy in some way with already available skills (hence the bears/dream/melee necro builds)

Doing lots of different builds is a great thing. But when i saw challenges and only read different builds i was both confused and disappointed.

There's so much more than just different builds. Grip already named some other things like pvp. But there's so much more! Do naked chars. Challenge pretty much guaranteed. Grails, you got regular grail, perfect grail, RW grail and probably some more obscure ones too. Go for lvl 99. Only like 35 or 36 chars have reached that before so that seems to be kinda challenging. And ofc there's tournaments. Often 'just' a variation in playstyle. But with tough enough restrictions they can be very difficult.

Oh and before i forget (mostly just not to piss off phar): zod god tournament. ;)
For me lots of different builds is what I like to do, so thats my reference point for something new and interesting to do. Everyone has their own way though. I just don't have the dedication for 99, or the drive to remake most of my chars in SC just so I can PVP (if there was some way to temporarily convert to SC for dueling I definately would). Point is, search the forums, there's tons of things that have been done (or might not have been done) so there may be something you like, or there may not be, who knows.

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Time traveling is what finally brought me back. I find it fascinating that the rules themselves change as you traverse the patches. It's like walking through different worlds. Of course pondering the items and changes also get really exciting once you consider the possibility of pushing items and characters forward in time. Then it really becomes a sort of "planes walker" moment when you travel back in time 10 years and defeat Diablo to get a sword to give to your future self to defeat Diablo. It's pretty trippy.
Bill and Ted's Diablo 2 Adventure, now with more "Whoa."

I like your crazy ideas, but I can only picture myself doing item based builds that have a synergy in some way with already available skills (hence the bears/dream/melee necro builds)
So you're saying you're sane? Well, I guess we all have our burdens. ;p

Turbocannon

Diabloii.Net Member
During my last LK run, I accidentally kicked over a basket in one of the buildings and got a Vex from it. Good times.

Edit: Today, 5 minutes in - a Lo rune, just what I was looking for (for a Grief) actually. Good times.

Last edited:

Lord Molybdenum

Diabloii.Net Member
I was quietly running the countess/lower kurast/shenk/pindleskin with my very bad characters and then UBER DIABLO randomly spawns in my world. (never happened to me!)

As I couldn't immediately come up with any accessible superuniques and I didn't want interruptions from other monsters, I went to the den of evil and tried killing him with my level 82 trapsin, my untwinked level ~65 hammerdin and my level ~60 meteorb sorceress.

All with the same result.

So... what kind of build is good against uber diablo?

That's a mod we don't accept here. On the Realms, smiter. Thyiad

Last edited by a moderator:

BBS_Agonistes

Diabloii.Net Member
Smiter? I don't know. I want to kill Uber Diablo in SP. SP needs forum-OK mod for that. All it requires is a lot of time and effort and computer abilities that I have completely no knowledge of. :D

Turbocannon

Diabloii.Net Member
Back in my multiplayer days, I did Über Tristram with a kicker assassin, but a smiter would do the job just as fine, except that it costs more. Über Diablo should work by the same principle. Basically, you stack Crushing Blow, trigger Life Tap through Last Wish or Dracul's Grasp (and slam down big purple potions like no tomorrow until it triggers), some Open Wounds, good enough AR, a fast attack, and you're good. I don't think any other approach works in a reasonable timeframe.

srrw

Diabloii.Net Member
Respec the Trapsin to a Kicker, find a source of Life tap (Buy a Wand if you don't have Dracul's), Stack some Crushing Blow, go beat the s*** out of him. Some resistances and blocking wont hurt either.

Lord Molybdenum

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, my gear was horrible for either a trapsin or a smiter and I didn't really have anything else so I gave up. Will keep this in mind for next time though. :)