Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Tenecabo

Diabloii.Net Member
Lvled my druid to 92 now, coming along nicely, need to post my new finds but I'm too lazy / not enough time with the new job. Also decided to put 1.07 on hold for now, and with the vex and 2x gul I have there, I'm branching out towards making a beta cta. So I started in 1.09 (yes, no beta cta, but for HF rushing and some nice 5% frw charms) and heck, so easy ^^. A few starter items and my sorc has 250+ life and 200+ mana at lvl 20, tele + static x 5 + some frost novas or staff hits and anything dies fast on p8 :D. Tried p64, but I don't seem to get more xp or anything, they're just harder to kill.

Codoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Recent runefinds pushed me to the point where I'm like ready to make new and old runewords. One of them would be a second enigma but this time one for the looks. I made the first one in a mage plate. However I realy like the 'full armor' look and since I use Enigma on most chars, would it be a good idea to make it in a Full Plate Mail for example? Again, this is for the looks mainly. I know I might 'loose' some statpoints here and there because of this. I know that usually for twinked chars its breast plate the right choice..but again..that look :p

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not really sure what the question you're asking is, because it sounds like you're asking if you specifically like the look of a specific armor and nobody but you knows that. If you're asking whether it's a good decision to make Enigma in a Full Plate Mail in terms of anything strategic (resource expenditure, benefit of the base, etc.) then no, not at all, because the base is both heavy (meaning you'll run slower while wearing it) and has worse requirements, but if the question is whether you will like the look then it's just not something we can answer. They're your runes and if you want to put them in a Full Plate Mail because you want to have Enigma in a Full Plate Mail then go ahead, it's your decision to make.

I can provide a link that shows what each base armor type looks like, front and back, on every character class though, in case that helps. It's in German, but the body armors are the links under "Rüstungen." Not sure that's at all what you're asking, but figured I'd post it just in case.

Codoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the reply. See..this happens when you just want to say something but dont put enough effort and thinking into writing it down and you just beat around the bush. Sorry about the poor wording of my post. Yes it is about the pros and cons of making the engima into a Full Plate mail. That link u gave me was quite usefull. After going trough the pictures there might just settle with Trelissed armor type.

I never realy tested this but....is there realy such a salient difference between heavy and light armor types when it comes to the run-speed difference. I noticed the staminadrain difference, but not much else. Does this affect teleport in any way?

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
I never realy tested this but....is there realy such a salient difference between heavy and light armor types when it comes to the run-speed difference. I noticed the staminadrain difference, but not much else. Does this affect teleport in any way?
Movement speed doesn't affect teleport in any way whatsoever, no, since only faster cast rate (and the casting breakpoints for the given character) does that, but here's a quote from onderduiker about armor weight and run speed.

Consequently +1% Effective Faster Run/Walk increases movement speed by 0.06 yards per second, so medium armour or shield (-5) reduces it by 0.3 yards/s and heavy armour or shield (-10) reduces it by 0.6 yards/s.
In other words, heavy armor is a 10% FRW penalty. With Enigma's boost and whatever you get from your boots you probably won't consciously notice the difference, but it will be there.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
and then what happened?

Also, my pally reached 85 finally in 1.07... probably should have skipped leveling the zon since I'm not sure it made a big difference in run speed and resulted in splitting the exp. *shrug*

Now I have to lvl a rogue which takes ages until about lvl 50 iirc at which point they level easily...

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Question about aura flashing:

I'm attempting to use it in 1.07 (conviction + fanat) and although I can see the effects of fanat sitting on my merc (immediately) and lasting for about 5 sec I don't see it continue in my stat screen after switching to conviction, so I'm unsure if it is affecting me or not. I suppose I could find a safe, tough enemy and whack on it for awhile with and without fanat to test the attack speed but I'm curious if anyone already knows whether or not the effect lasts when the aura is switched off.

The same goes for conviction's "don't convict me" bonus which is pretty much a requirement for 1.07 zealots against MSLE conviction bosses, which is rather common at council.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Hm. Some preliminary testing tells me that although fanat procs immediately on my merc, defiance, concentration, might and blessed aim do not.

I've also messed around trying to punch monsters with and without fanat, before and after having fanat active, and it doesn't seem like the fanat speed bonus (or probably any bonus) carries over when it's not active. This leads me to think that aura flashing doesn't work at all except to boost my merc's attack speed with fanat while using other auras if preferable, which it really isn't.

I still want to try salvation and other auras to see if they at least instantaneously proc on merc but if they don't then I am super disappointed.

So I have another important question: How exactly does conviction work when it comes to the "don't get convicted by lower levels of conviction aura" property? Is it active as soon as I have conviction active as an aura, or ONLY on those monsters already affected by it? If the latter is the case, then is it active while the monsters are affected but the aura is not?

Paging @onderduiker <3

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I believe that is true, but the ilvl will be too low for almost any unique you want because it is based on clvl. I believe the chance is 1/2k for a unique, and my guess is that if you can't get one it will just become a triple durability rare. Not sure, though.

Codoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Ill have to remake my necro...noticed today that he somehow completed the cow level..luckily hes only 93,5...phew...

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I've done some tests regarding gem shrines. Rolled decent map for 200 fcr sorc and idea is to farm perfect amethysts as fast as possible. My map contains 2 close shrines to waypoint of stony field and 4 shrines very close to waypoint of dark wood. So I hit 6 shrines per run.

Results: 300 runs done, 1800 shrines hit, 52 of those were gem shrines. From tests, gem shrine appears once per 34.6 shrines. I've managed to do 18.8 sec average time per run, which means I farm 1 perfect amethysts in ~109 seconds. In comparison, I can manage 115-120 sec per pgem in Travincal, so with shrines I can farm amethysts faster than I can farm pgems in Travincal. As for LK, there I can achieve 1 pgem in sub 100 second. But still, this method of farming certain pgems is like 6x faster than any other method of farming, with exception of trading which is better source of goodies for eveything.

There are few problems with shrines which can be worked around with.
First is map, which is not exactly that easy to find, especially some great map with great placement of shrines etc. It took me quite some time to find map where I can hit 6 shrines in sub 20 seconds, practically saw only one other which was not that good (~3 sec slower overall).
Second problem is save & exit times are huge. I've seen as big as 15 sec saving time, and 6-7 sec is standard per run. It can be really annoying that 1/3 of running time you lose on saving process. Deleting files doesn't help.

I didn't compare normal/nightmare/hell in shrines. I rolled maps on hell and works fine.

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
Power running shrines is hardcore but very limited in scope. Maybe there is a target you can add to the shrine run to amortize your save/load times better? Like how bnetters run multi targets per game, do like 6x shrines and Trav.

Unrelated question: I just beat 1.00 nightmare with my whirlybarb. Anything I need to know, like are there physical immunes in 1.00 hell?

Codoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the Info Gripphon. People like you deserve a special place on Arreat. So according to that, it might just be more worthvile to farm LK or Trav for gems, even if we get others aswell, not just Amethyst. What I do is I keep a flawless amethyst in my inventory/cube most of the time just in case a shrine appears. Just finished my CS leveling with my paladin, this little strategy got me some extra Pamethysts.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks on kind words.

I have improvement on that shrine hunting thing. Thanks to Frozzzen who suggested to save game in act 4 instead of act 1 which considerably reduced my running times because if you save in act 4, saving time is not horribly long like in act 1 for whatever reason. Same is true for act 5. I suggest Frozzzen for Arreat Summit president! On top of that, I have shrine close to waypoint of river of flame, so now I hit 7 shrines per run instead of 6 with same running time as before. Did 199 new runs, farmed 40 pammies in that time with 18.87 s avg. runtime, so basically it takes ~94 seconds to find gem shrine now in comparison to 109 I had before. That is big improvement, 16%!. Maybe doesn't sound that much, but imagine if you want to hit gem shrine 200 times, that improvement means I can save 3000 seconds or 50 minutes in the process.

So what I learned from my tests:
1. gem shrine appears once per 34.7 shrines based on 3193 shrines hit.
2. save times are incredibly big if you do it in act 1, but if you go in act 4/5, you can hit additional shrine anywhere + your save time will be small making your gem shrine hunting more efficient.
3. this method of farming certain pgems is very very fast in comparison to anywhere in the game. But also this method is meant only to get certain pgem faster, not to farm all pgems faster since by hunting for shrines, you don't farm jewels, charms etc you do when running LK or Travincal.

EDIT
Even though I don't have good shrine maps anywhere else, it seems it is profitable to hit another shrine close to waypoint. Doing so for two additional doesn't seem to improve anything but is rather annoying to switch among too many waypoints. So basically my final pattern I find most efficient for me is this:
check 2 shrines near waypoint in Stony Field
check 4 shrines near waypoint in Dark Wood
check 1 shrine 1 tele from waypoint in Travincal
check final shrine 1 tele from waypoint in River of Flame
Then save/exit. I can achieve 20.2 seconds avg. time per 8 shrine hits, which is another 7% improvement, or 1 gem shrine in ~** seconds. So another 6 seconds improvement? Cool! But that's it so far, it doesn't seem profitable to do any more tricks on my current map, this is best I can possibly do, checking one shrine in 2.52 seconds. I do think better maps are certainly possible, but seem hardish to roll. If I had like 3-4 fast shrines in Lower Kurast for example, that would be super godly...

I do think shrines beyond act 1 have less chance to be gem shrine cause they can also become resist poison and resit lightning shrines? I'm not sure though.

Last edited:

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
In my experience the game takes forever to load in A5 when I did some superchest running near Eldritch in the past. Is this because there were lots of monsters around or something else? Are there lots of monsters around you in A1 when you exit? What if you change the WP order you check?