Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NorthDakota, Sep 11, 2012.

1. endlesscircuit

endlesscircuit Diabloii.Net Member

Utterly failing at Googling right now. Is there a way to verify which patch I'm on? Just tried to upgrade to 1.13d, but not sure if it worked, since I'm on Linux and the Diablo 2 install directory is not in the normal place. Had no errors in the patch install.

EDIT: Looks like it worked! Just tried to install the patch a second time and it said it was already installed, since my version is 1.0.13.64 (which is 1.13d).

2. Dazliare

Dazliare Diabloii.Net Member

I wondered why I had an extra in my stash! I thought I had made a mistake in sending you my second, so I didn't use it just in case it was a dupe. Guess it's 2x grief for me :)

3. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx Diabloii.Net Member

After around 500 Worldstone keep players8 runs, my sorceress has finally reached level 96.
    No monsters were parked or skipped, though I did S&E a couple of times due to teleporting into a bad pack and not having good fhr. Two or three deaths as well.
    Final LCS ( Cold, Fire ).

It was great playing this character. I thought about this a lot, and will say this is my #1 character of all time. She has her disadvantages to be sure ( mostly a lack of crowd control and low FHR ), but overall has the best combination of killing power, versatility, survival and comfort.

Despite carrying zero %MF, she is one of my luckier characters, scoring stuff like a Death's fathom, pcombat of sustenance, 30/10 Andariel's visage etc. and the following runes: Vex,Vex,Ohm,Ohm,Lo,Lo,Sur,Ber,Jah

4. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

zaphodbrx, mind sharing the equipment?

edit: and the skill build :D

5. zaphodbrx

srrw:
    Standard blizzballer with some rather good equipment. Writeup here ( matriarch Zarine ).

6. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed as someone who used CoH to get to 98 and then swapped on v1.07 Arkaine's.

Here's the deal /w CoH: it's the best default endgame armor in the game for basically every character, as there is rarely, if ever, a character which it won't help. Outside of specialty cases where you need something else (Treachery for IAS, e.g.) its bonuses are huge: +2 skills (for BO!), 65% res, 8% PDR, 200% damage to demons/undead, etc. It's also relatively easy to make in v1.13 - all you need is a single Ber. I made mine a long, long time ago and used it on almost every character since.

But that said, Enigma is so much superior for everything that isn't a sorceress that it pales in comparison. Mine gets used mostly on mercs now, as its life leach on an armor is great when you don't get it on weapon (Infinity, Pride) or helm (Delerium, G-Face).

v1.07 Arkaine's is amazing for sorceresses because it is worth so much life. At clvl 98, that's 247 vita (494 life) and 196 life - it's enough to make going max block with SS/Whitstans/etc. viable. Too bad it's not BO-able (it used to be in v1.09, which is when v1.07 Arkaine's/SoE/SS/v1.07 Vamp Gaze was KING for PvP S/S Tweaker barbs). The problem is that it's so hard to find. I got mine as a give from Lord Vega when he quit - good luck trying to trade for it.

End result: I would make it again, but I'd make Enigma before it. And then I would likely not make it. View is probably tainted because of the vast wealth difference between when I made it and now, but still. If I was starting over again, I would probably do what those in the untwinked to 99 thread did - sorceress, MF enough stuff to make a decent LK runner, and then run LK for high runes.

Said it much better than I did, and basically hits the nail on the head, particularly #'s 2-4, for the reasons I made it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  7. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I was expecting you to say lightning sorc. I can imagine blizzballer being versatile though.

Also, high runes are only common for you and kitteh :p
    In the time you've found those 600 runes I've found about 0 (pits, AT).

8. zaphodbrx

Ha well. Bear in mind there was a huge amount of running ( summer vacation, 20 min per run * that many runs = lots of time spent ), so it's not unexpected. Actually I was rather hoping for a Zod :)

Litesorcs and their variants have too many disadvantages to be considered versatile. It doesn't even make my top five.

I also disagree with the idea that enigma makes CoH or other armors obsolete. Just don't understand this mindset. I've used CoH on three times as many characters than enigma just to give an example. Whatever. I got flamed on another thread for saying fortitude is better than enigma for WW barbs even though I levelled from 90-92 on p8 WSK runs with 'nigma and 92-94 with forti and can tell you without a shadow of doubt that fortitude is far superior. Eh.

9. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I'd agree that fort is superior when there's not much distance between boss packs, and one is playing at the highest players setting. For MF runs, travi runs, or general questing, enigma wins every time, because of the greatly increased mobility.

Litesorcs may have disadvantages, but many, mayhaps all, can be mitigated through gear and playstyle. Not everyone does full clears or mind skipping one or two unbreakable immunes =)

10. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

20 minutes per run? How?!

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Agreed. The boosted FRW - my Faith zon wears Engima /w .07 Valk and Travs - 95% fr/w before charms is also a great help over and above the teleport.

If you're running an area that doesn't need teleport to get to quickly (Pits, AT and CS need it, WSK and RoF don't, e.g.), then Fort is be superior.

12. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa Diabloii.Net Member

Anything related to efficient MF/EXP requires Enigma for non-sorceress. Full clears can be different in some cases.

13. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

I don't write this only for you, but also other people, so I'll try to be more detailed in explanation.

Maybe you don't understand that mindset because you never had mindset like that before? I don't know, just guessing. From your posts, I can see you actually don't really care about efficiency (full clears etc) so I can understand why do you prefer other armors over Enigma.

Yes, there were some discussions before, but don't really remember what was said before. Problem with Enigma is that armor gives benefits that are not explicitly written on runeword. For example, that massive strength is actually life for your character, cause that many strength you don't need to invest into character to carry some shield or helm. 70+ strength later turns out to be 140+ Bo-able life on character, or up to 200+. For barbs, all that strength + 2 skills are more %ED they have.

Teleport - yes, we all know, teleporting around fast bla bla. First of all, you travel (teleport) faster from place to place, as end of result your runs are faster and more effective + you have massive MF on same armor for more efficiency. Well all know that, but next thing many people are not aware of. There comes more with teleport, and one of those things is the reason why Enigma gives much much more damage to WW barb than Fortitude or any other armor in the game. Teleport does not only teleport your character, it teleport any summoned beast you have + merc too. Since merc is using Reapers Tool with beautiful curse, your goal is to bring him to the target as fast as possible so he can curse it. Decrepify is biggest damage modificator for barb, it boosts barbs damage from 50% to X00%+, depending on physical resist of monster. Unlike %damage from Fortitude that goes into formula, this adds bonus damage to your total damage, including critical hit!

You probably already know all of this, so then we can use those facts even further. Mercs are... well, morons. Sometimes they stand right next to me behind the wall while I kill stuff (Baal runs too). Teleport is very much needed to control them and to put them into fight or out of fight to save them. The sooner they cast curse, the sooner your damage will be boosted.

So, when we start killing same target, let's say bosspacks. My enigma vs your Fortitude.
    1. round: If your merc is there to curse just like mine is, you will win cause Fortitude gives you more damage than Enigma does directly. You won first round.
    2. round: If next bosspack is 2 screens away, I will be there in a blink of eye while you will walk there, therefore I gain time here compared to you. Also, my teleport will bring merc with me and he will already start cursing those minions, while your merc will lag behind and even when he comes near you, chances are he will start to attack random creep instead of desired bosspack target. I won second round.
    3. round: same as second round, I teleport there + curse fast + kill fast, while you walk there + ww over minions without curse on cause your merc is in lalaland = I deal more damage and kill faster.

For every next round I win for same reasons, I travel faster + deal more damage to minions cause I have curse on, while you usually don't cause your merc is who knows where. In time when he gets there, I already killed pack and move forward.

So, that's why Enigma usually gives you much more damage than Fortitude does. Not directly, but through teleport and the fact merc will actually do his stuff instead lagging behind or attacking random target.
    This is calling effective running, gaining as much as you can in the least time possible.

Since you prefer full clears, that is usually not as effective as it can be to get what you want + even more. In that case, chances are Enigma actually isn't best choice and can be beaten by Fortitude or CoH. So, for your playing style Enigma can be replaced with something else. In my case, I prefer efficiency running, that means as fast as I can with most gain. Fullclears are not that category. Closest to fullclears I go is with pitnecro, but even with him I don't actually do fullclear cause it's so ineffective. More effective is to start new game and to kill bosses + nearby creeps over and over again instead chasing all monsters in some area and losing time to that.
    So, if you want efficiency, Enigma beats all hands down. If you prefer playing around with fullclears etc, then you can use Fortitude or CoH with possibly greater success (did you include the fact you lost 9x MF when swapping out Enigma?).

Now if someone still doesn't understand why is Enigma absolutely number one armor when it comes to efficiency, then he can test it himself. Also I hope it is clear now why Enigma gives much more damage to WW barb than any other armor, and for WW barb you do want as much damage as you can. It's possible to use teleport charges + Fortitude, but again you lose much MF + either helm or deadly strike from amulet (deadly strike + Decrepify is HUGE damage). However using that charges everytime to position your merc, even in Throne, might be annoying. Or using them to save your merc if needed.

14. helvete

I believe that covers it, Gripphon ;)

Anyway, that covers melee characters, summoners and hammerdin/windy/boner. Bowas can be an exception due to their horrible FCR and tendency to use Atmas Scarab for amp instead of decrep merc. As can poisonmancers in leveling, as it is possible (at least on bnet where I had dweb, don't have it in SP since restart) to one shot entire bosspacks in ~full games with certain setups (20/-20 armor or bramble; beta bramble should be totally OP with an average roll) while simply running past. Stacking up enough -enemy poison res from gear will increase poison duration, and with enigma setup it can be tough to get the oneshot kills, requiring more than one cast.

HC, I'd still prefer enigma though, just for the positioning of summons. SO powerful.

Heck, even sorcs use enigma for pindlerunning...

15. Crazy Runner Guy

Bowas: v1.07 Valk + lidless = 48% FCR breakpoint. Go up to 156 STR and you get Valk + Spirit + rare Ring or Arach's and hit 68 FCR breakpoint.

Javas: Griffon's + Spirit + Ring + Arach's and hit 99% breakpoint.

16. helvete

1.07 valk, yes... Forgot about that one as I'm currently 1.13d only, and have to resort to 120%ED/57dex tiaras and the like :p

EDIT: Well, I don't actually HAVE one, nor any of the ingredients, but... At least it's possible in 1.13d ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  17. Crazy Runner Guy

That's just sick! Jewelers of the (DEX) /w 3x 40/9 jewels?

I'm v1.13d only now, but have a few v1.07 gems sitting around (Viscertaunt, Arkaine's, Valk Wing, and I thought I had a Bartuc's around somewhere), all trades/gifts.

18. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

The guy doing 20 minute WSK runs can't understand the mindsets of people who want to do things efficiently?

I feel like we've done this before!

19. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

@Helvete
    Yes, there are exceptions. I focused mostly on WW barb, but as for all builds out there, for some Enigma obviously isn't number one choice. I never really used Enigma on bowa or sorc actually. But I do wonder can bowa perform good with Enigma, despite big damage loss from Fortitude. I have no idea about that and will leave that to someone else who wish to run Baal with her and such.

Poisonmancer and leveling... well, Pit is amazing leveling target for them. Simply amazing. With my necro I'm level 94 and didn't get to act 2 yet. While Enigma doesn't provide as much damage as bramble does, it's still far superior to Bramble if we consider leveling in Pits on p8. Right now I'm doing 80-ish seconds Pit runs with 6.5+ bosspacks and huge amount of creeps kill cause of my great map. With Brable it would take me like 20-25 seconds just to get there, not to mention killing everything + no teleport over the edges of the map and going all around etc. It's simply not worth it at all. Even thou Enigma setup doesn't offer that godly damage like Bramble, you still kill everything much faster and level faster that way. And have much better chance to actually find nice item unlike with Bramble and slowish runs overall. In 10 hours with Enigma you kill much more creeps and bosses than with Bramble.

If you consider leveling somewhere else with Bramble, well, I'm not sure can that compete with Pit in any sense, be it getting-items-sense or leveling-faster-sense. Even without web poisonmancer is strong in Pits. Actually, Enigma + hoto poisonmancer would perform much better than Bramble + Web poisonmancer (well, I ran with hoto before and it's still very fast runner, even with much lower damage). Like 2 minutes per run that was or something like that. I wonder is it even possible to finish Pit in 2 minutes even with perfect equipment walking poisonmancer, and then you are still short of MF from Enigma.

Other characters that don't actually need Enigma are animals. Maybe it's possible to use Enigma to run faster or to teleport to the spot and then transform to kill, who knows. It's not like I'm gonna test that anytime soon.

20. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I started a novamancer this weekend for the MFO and with some rushing I got to nearly ** in pits already. I ran to about 82 before equipping enigma, and i'm using WIZZEHspike since I don't have a good fcr ammy/helm (and want safety/125 fcr).

Still kills super fast and i'm loving it. Will upgrade to either hoto or dweb when I have some better gear but atm 125 fcr and tele trumps all.

Besides, max CE and amp/lower res makes up for any "slow" killing speed of nova. It's not slow even below 7k damage.