Anyone want to talk about the new Diablo game?

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Carry on. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks. This isn't over, me thinks.
Agreed. Pretty sure this isn't over. Not in a 'they'll change their mind and cancel the mobile game' kind of way. But they can't but make up for this somehow.

It is rather unbelievable that a big company like Blizzard coped with this so badly. I mean, in a small company, PR duties often have to be handled by those also making the game. But in a company of this size ... they have people to make sure it's all ironed out before it gets public.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Take a lesson from Bethesda
The fact that this is even an option shows exactly how catastrophically immense Blizzard faux pas'd that anouncement up. I mean. Re-read that. "Take a lesson from Bethesda". Unless that is followed by "on how to mess something up"; it isn't something you'd expect to hear/read. Ever.

It is rather unbelievable that a big company like Blizzard coped with this so badly. I mean, in a small company, PR duties often have to be handled by those also making the game. But in a company of this size ... they have people to make sure it's all ironed out before it gets public.
Unfortunately the PR people aren't gamers. They're there to make pretty photos and tag lines. They have zero concept of the history of Diablo or how much the gamers love the franchise.

It is quite astonishing that they didn't do any market research but I'm betting they were thinking "Asian market $$$" rather than "let's alienate pretty much every Diablo player who has played it over the past 20 years".

I would have expected anyone on staff - especially those on stage - who SHOULD have an understanding of the player base to say "Um, guys". And been prepared to the frag fest that ensued. Not ask paying customers "don't you have phones?".

And can someone PLEASE find the guy who asked if "It's an out of season April fools joke" and buy him a beer and a pizza. Or seven.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
For anyone wanting to keep an eye on the video downvote giggles ...

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
The fact that this is even an option shows exactly how catastrophically immense Blizzard faux pas'd that anouncement up. I mean. Re-read that. "Take a lesson from Bethesda". Unless that is followed by "on how to mess something up"; it isn't something you'd expect to hear/read. Ever.
But it makes sense doesn't it. Bethesda teased ES6 just enough to make ES fans like me say "cool. It's being worked on. Nice to know" I am excited about ES6 but knowing it is 2 or 3 years out tempers that enthusiasm. Blizz could have said we are working on D4 but it will take a while. In the meantime, here is a cool little thing we have been working on that may tide you over, Immortal!

But hey, hindsight is always a great skill and if PR people had hindsight as one of their major skills they would have it leveled to 100 by now.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Reading that blog makes me think they really have something big for pc coming up too when it comes to Diablo. That, or they are even more ignorant than I thought.

mrpinsky

Diabloii.Net Member
This could force a teaser announcement of D4 for PC. I think that is what they should do, if in fact, they are actually working on it.
It would be extremely weird to tease D4 a few days after Blizzcon... I don't see it happen.

Thinking about it, there is not a single good option for them at the moment. They can't tease D4 (which was not ready for Blizzcon and won't be ready now either), and anything they can say or do now besides a D4 teaser won't go down well and will likely anger the mob~~~ sorry, the fans even more.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
Financial call with investors happened. Now, don't take too much to heart in this. This is a call with investors and things need to be spun positively. How much money are they going to make being their top priority. I have been on these calls with my own top bosses and if you talk about negative things it just causes more questions and more probing than necessary. So, it's best to avoid it if you can. No one on the management side likes these calls so they want them done as quickly as possible. The investor side likes to ask questions and the management side will answer but they try to answer so there are not follow up questions.

Read on if you like and lets discuss.

https://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/activision-blizzard-financial-call-tackles-diablo-immortal-read-what-happened?fbclid=IwAR20sEIO0c-GK6QuBTVjnMf3uuOsqU-GFi5oneZmXULjDeAcf7kl2f9kJ24

So they are spinning here and not mentioning the negative reviews and the negative-ness on their own forums. Some investors have to be blind to not know this is going on but see how management spins and avoids the negative and only talks about positives.

It is true that mobile is at least pushing for the largest market share of gaming devices if not already there. So, in effect Blizzard is only answering the call for mobile games. There are millions of people who play mobile games and the games are getting better and deeper than ever before as mobile technology advances. So Blizzard would really be negligent to not enter this arena, from a financial aspect. They could probably take all of their franchises mobile and be successful.

Remember, they have told us there are several Diablo projects in the works and this is the only one they have announced so far. They also said they will respond soon to all of the frustration and anger they have seen in the past 5 or 6 days. Again, stay tuned. This ain't over!

HFDOH

Diabloii.Net Member
[QUOTE="saint_of_killers, But how many players continued to play D3/RoS months after their respective releases? 20%? Years after release? 10%? 5%?

How many I really dont know but when D3/RoS was released about 200 of my friends in US/Europe play the game the first 6 months after a year maybe 150 and to make the list short today 75 of them still play so guess its mean close to 40 % in 2018 and yes its not a accurate for how many who play it today. Imo mates here underestimated the amount of players today for one reason only they want a D4 and imo players has so many demands to a new game and its impossible to satisfied all. sone want it to be more dark and like D2 ( the same who cursed D2 at that time) some want AH/RMAH back, some want more balanced skills items, I loved D2 in many ways but also remember endless pindle/Diablo runs and not to forget all the dupe and hacks, some want a mix between D2and D3 and some want a brand new D4 and the demands grows all the time. And sure if a D4 get a released mates start to complain again, maybe its the human nature :) What I try to say its a mission impossible, Sorry for my poor English Im a old guy from Scandinavien (denmark) and btw has play Diablo from the beginning even the clone hellfire,

(source https://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-blizzard-made-4-billion-on-microtransac/1100-6456669/)[/QUOTE]