Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone want a thousand dollars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Anyone want a thousand dollars?

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Lotsa crap going on…

http://www.catholicintl.com/epologetics/geochallenge.html

At the above link you will find an offer of $1,000 to anyone who can prove that geocentrism is false. ROFL. Who wants to bet these folks are immune to reason and will never give the money out?

Anyway, someone around here insisted that the Bible could not be interpreted to support geocentrism. Would you like to take a crack at explaining that to the folks at the link above? :D

Here's the full text ('cause I know some around here are link-phobic):

2. Underseer

Sorry to carry on about Geocentrism.

I was looking for a link to a simple definition to support an argument on another board, and I stumbled upon these sites. Exactly how widespread is this geocentrism stuff? Is the movement growing?

Anyway, I found what appears to be the motherlode for essays supporting geocentrism and attacking heliocentrism, for anyone interested in reading this stuff for a laugh:

http://users2.ev1.net/~origins/menu-helio.htm

(If there are any geocentrists around here, I apologize for laughing at you. Not that I'm gonna stop laughing, but I do apologize for it. :) )

3. NaderN

NaderN IncGamers Member

wow, the CAI is entirely pathetic! Let's all live in denial! And I wonder why I hate being forced to go to church...

4. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

You may laugh all you like. But please refrain from bumping your own thread whilst doing so.

Thanks

And NaderN,
    Keep it civil. That goes for everyone else here too.

5. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Thanks for the timely reminder, Freet.

I find it curious (ironic, even) that they want you to provide a proof basically without referring to any work that someone else has done, while they are all basing their stances upon someone else's writings.

I've seen another website that talked about why the universe revolves around the earth, and it basically stated that the earth doesn't rotate at all, which is something quite easily proven to be wrong (our satellites in geostationary orbit easily prove this with simple Newtonian mechanics). I personally find it amusing. I wonder if they thing the earth is round?

6. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

Skinner: I keep telling you the earth revolves around the sun!
    Grandpa Simpson: Burn him!
    Reporter :wow! whatta scoop! (takes picture)
    Grandpa Simpson: (chases reporter) You stole my soul!!!

EDIT: Oh forgot to mention! The Earth is flat, Hamburgers eat people, Power does not corrupt, and the first man on the moon was Jim Carrey!

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I wish those people knew the difference between the noun "effect" and the verb "affect."

8. SumThinCool

SumThinCool IncGamers Member

These are hte kind of people (no offense) that caused all the stupid outrage over janet jackson's halftime malfunction and are eventually gonna change our country into something where you wont be able to think without asking permission first. Dont believe me? Look at whats happening to our first amendment rights.

9. KiL

KiL IncGamers Member

Geez, not the best way to attract people to your religion. I find it so hard to comprehend why anyone would believe so full-heartedly in a scripture that was written by man, translated from different languages on numerous occasions, the New Testament was not even recorded until at least 500 years after Jesus's death (not applicable since we are debating Old), and has so many different forms, volumes, or styles.. did I mention it was written by man? I do not see what is to gain from the literal interpretation, the church has changed and edited many things already, so it is obviously fallible.

It just seems to me that geocentrism just focuses on inane and inconsequential things, instead of learning about fullfillment and happiness (through God I suppose...), they focus on an excerpt that they believe modern man is ignoring and by doing so undermining the power of the church? Why would this church need to have power over anyone in the first place? If the general message is sound, people will be inclined to belive it. Having every person who wants to "belong" to a religion completely and fully believe in an exact written word is a sure deterent, because, *surprise*, not everyone is the same and attempting to make a gaggle of pyschological clones will never be met with enthusiasm.

I realize that the previous statements seem kinda harsh, dont get me wrong, I have respect for any form of religion, just some things are either unfounded or hilarious to my mind, pretty much about all of them. I believe that the Bible is one of the greatest pieces of literature ever compiled, its been on the best seller list for over a millenium. But just like every great book ever produced by mankind, the messages contained within are meant to be seen and exaimined, and then determined upon by ones own personal intellect. If it was meant to be interpretted directly, I dont dont see the point of fables and riddles, seems kinda i dunno, like it would leave it up to the reader, hrmmm. I understand many other religions encourage literal interpretation of written word, such a Muslims and the Q'ran (sorry spelling, and in its defense, it is much more comprehensive). I hate to do it, but I just could never understand why one would base their exact belief system on that of another man's.

Man is fallible, I guess that is my main point. If God wrote the Bible himself, he woulda signed his name, like on those billboards a while back(jusst kidding kids, lighten up). Seriously though, an almighty power did not write this text, although possibly could have inspired it, so maybe it shouldn't be taken so seriously. And I really hope that people will not take this post the wrong way, it just set off a nerve when these people are offering a monetary incentive to prove a religious point, thats good ol' USA for ya. My advice(I know: no one asked) would be for a shift in perspective as to what is perntinent in one's life: either getting hung up on solar debate, or how about livingly happily (most important I believe), connecting with your fellow man, and developing personal beliefs, whatever form they take. I guess it should be apparent that I would gravitate toward the more open ended eastern philosophies, and feel free to point out their falicies, but I'm pretty sure they wouldnt really care much, thats what I like about it.

10. Underseer

That was a genuine afterthought (I'm an airhead... ask anyone who remembers me), not an attempted self-bump. My apologies.

11. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

well, I would argue that both groups are wrong, th earth does not revolve around the sun nor does the sun revolve around the earth. Rather, both revolve around a point between the two centers of mass (though this point is admittedly closer to the suns center)

also, what does Janet have to do with anything? (unless the earth revolves around her)

12. Underseer

Uhm, considering the relative masses of the Sun and the Earth, I believe the axis you speak of is still inside the Sun even if said axis doesn't pass through the center of mass. I'd say we can still call that "orbiting the Sun," wouldn't you?

:p

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

*dances naked around the fire in obscene rites*

I wonder if they still think that the local goat dying is an act of witchcraft, too... :scratch:

14. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Well, at least they're right about one thing. Science can't and doesn't attempt to prove things 100%. If you want a direct and irrefutable proof, go look up some math proofs.

15. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

This is almost as crazy as the people that believe the earth is a cube and rotates in two different ways giving the illusion of a sphere. You think I'm making this up but I'm not.

16. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

No, I wouldn't. but I'm just being difficult.

17. Underseer

Nah. These guys are geocentrists and platygæanists to boot. There's even an essay claiming that all cities named "Springfield" are really the same city. Fun reading!

18. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

I'm a reasonable guy. When someone has a different way of seeing things, I try to see it from their perspective. But, wow.

Dj_Otaku

19. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Heh, i'm pretty sure the flat earth site is a mikey-take :)

Anyway, MM has hit the nail on the head, physics seeks to provide a mathematical model for empyrical data, and very rarely (if ever) seeks to give a uniqueness theorem to that model. They then get us mathematicians to prove the model mathematically :rant:

Probably, as the guy says, you could design a model that shows the universe revolves around a logical goat and then prove it. However, that does not make it the most viable model, which the Heliocentric model is at this moment in time. And even that has undergone slight tweeks over the years.

And anyway, if there ever was a mathematical proof as to why this was the only viable model they would probably make statements such as: what, you only proved it for n-dimensional Complex Space? Not enough.

In the end one has to say 'don't bother'. It will no-doubt take much more than $1,000 worth of your time anyway.

20. pixelpowder

pixelpowder IncGamers Member

The guy from CAI isn't even consistent with himself :

1) He explains that you can't accept heliocentrism because if heliocentrism is true it means the Church is wrong, God is lying, yadda yadda which means basically that if heliocentrism is true then the whole Christian religion falls apart;

2) THEN he explains, that, IF heliocentrism is proven, "only then will he take the Bible figuratively"...

3) Hello ? Where is the logic here ? If he follows through point 1, then he must say that, should he be proven wrong on heliocentrism, he should stop believing in God altogether;

4) on the other hand, if he is able to keep his faith even if the Earth turns around the Sun, and simply take that passage from the Bible figuratively from then on, then it is POSSIBLE to concile faith and heliocentrism. And in that case, why bother to deny this fact. In fact, this is what most Christians (who don't need the Sun to go around the Earth to believe in God) do...