Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone upgrade a Skystrike?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Fraggle_Rock, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Fraggle_Rock

Fraggle_Rock IncGamers Member

Anyone upgrade a Skystrike?

I'm not sure of the math, but according to the base item types (Edge bow and Spider Bow) the damage triples from 12.5 average to 36.5 average.

Does this mean an upgraded perfect Skystrike would do triple its listed damage? i.e. about 60-170 damage. Not too shabby if you ask me. Especially with the 1-250 lightning damage and meteor-coolness.

You probably all think I'm crazy, but I like weird builds... just wondering if my assumptions about the upgrade are correct, before I try the formula and potentially waste my runes.

FYI, based on the item types, the Edge to Spider upgrade gets far more damage increase than any other bow type.

Edit: oops, I tried applying 200% ED to the Spider bow's 23-50 damage and it actually comes out to 69-150 damage... if I did the math right. Anyway, still not too bad considering the Skytrike Edge bow is 21-57 damage.

2. Mike777

Mike777 IncGamers Member

(just leveled enough to finaly use my skystrike... watching this thread intently)

3. livewired

livewired IncGamers Member

Hello,

An upgraded Skystrike would gain 44.2% of total (including the lightning) average damage, and 192.0% if you only count the physical damage.

Edge Bow:
    - base dmg: 6-19
    - 200% enh: 18-57 (37.5)
    - with light. dmg: 19-307 (163)

Spider Bow base dmg: 23-50
    - base dmg: 23-50
    - 200% enh: 69-150 (109.5)
    - with light. dmg: 70-400 (235)

Physical dmg gain: (109.5 - 37.5) / 37.5 = 192.0%
    Total dmg gain: (235 - 163) / 163 = 44.2%

Upgrading a Skystrike gives you a much better dmg gain, than say upgrading Goldstrike or Lycander's.

4. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Total waste of runes. That cannot even beat non-upgraded Goldstrike.

5. Mike777

Mike777 IncGamers Member

true, but, fraggle said a "weird" kind of build was desired

hence his questioning of this....sounds crazy to me....but for the record, that bow is the best i have and i am just of a level to use it (hence my slight interrest in this thread)

(save the runes Fraggle :)

6. slayer37

slayer37 IncGamers Member

Why is non-upgraded GSA better than up'ed skystrike? Non-up'ed GSA has 30+ - 150+ base damage while up'ed skystrike has 60+ - 150+ not counting the 1 - 250 lightning damage. The only advantages of GSA is the big AR boost and 50 IAS but skystrike on the other hand has +1 skills, +AR, and 30 IAS. Skystrike is also faster than GSA "base speed-wise". I up'ed mine but found WWS later and switched bows.

7. Fraggle_Rock

Fraggle_Rock IncGamers Member

Speaking of Witchwild...

I used to use one in 1.09 and using Multi-shot, amp damage triggered quite often.

Now in 1.10 using strafe, it doesn't seem to trigger very much at all... is it possible the game considers a 'strike' differently for the two skills. i.e. perhaps multi-shot checks every arrow for striking and amp damage triggering, whereas strafe only checks once per volley?

8. slayer37

Hmmm... I use strafe and WWS amp damage triggers often enough. I don't see why multi would trigger it faster... maybe because you fire more arrows with high lvl MS.

9. Shadoway

I suspect you AR is too low. What is your chance to hit hell baal?

10. Shadoway

You forgot about the 100%-200% extra dmg to undead/demon. GSA has slower base speed, but more IAS. The %AR addition is really great (=10 more points into penetration). Right now I use upgraded WWS because I like the resist and magic arrow. If I can ignore the resist, I will go with upgraded GSA for sure.

11. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

my favorite for odd builds is still upgraded riphook. That thing is awesome

--fatty

12. slayer37

Nope. I did not forget the ED to demons and undead with GSA. It's good that there is added bonus for demons and undead with GSA but the 1-250 lightning damage of skystrike applies to all creature types. Also, skystrike has bigger minimum damage of about 30 that applies to all. The AR boost is of course incredible with GSA. Oh well... it all boils down to your priorities and playing style anyway. We do agree on WWS being better than GSA and skystrike. :thumbsup: