Anyone tried a hydra build?

CaptainWinters

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone tried a hydra build?

Hi all, I'm new the forums but have already come to find this place a very welcoming atmosphere. Given that I'm new to sorcs in general, I wanted to try out a build that didn't really seem to get any attention from the guides.

In doing so, I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried out a build using Hydra and it's synergies? If so, how did it turn out? Is it necessary to have massively sweet itemization in order to get the build to work?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi all, I'm new the forums but have already come to find this place a very welcoming atmosphere. Given that I'm new to sorcs in general, I wanted to try out a build that didn't really seem to get any attention from the guides.

In doing so, I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried out a build using Hydra and it's synergies? If so, how did it turn out? Is it necessary to have massively sweet itemization in order to get the build to work?

Thanks in advance!
Is this PvP or PvM?

I don't recommend it. Damage can be amplified with right gear, but the idea of the skill's attack itself is not very accurate nor fast. If it atleast did higher damage, it would make an awesome hybrid, but no, too weak a damage.

It was a fun build when I made one near beginning of 1.10. But you just get sick of your bolts missing targets... :undecided:

Welcome to the forums. If you want to go for the underdog builds, I suggest a CB Sorc. :smiley:

CaptainWinters

Diabloii.Net Member
It is a PvM based build, and yes, I'm already feeling the pain of missed targets ;(

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it :)

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
If you can get enough +skill items. it's more than viable for PvM..I have a Orb/Hydra Sorc that get's 3k per bolt which I enjoy playing every now and then.

Manago

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks in advance!
With teleport you can kill anything with hydras, plant some on the guy, then he starts walking to you, teleport to the other side of the hydras, just pin-ball back and forth. If you just plant them without planning where they are going to path to, you'll miss most of the time. Easy way (and works well against fire immunes) pump some points into glacial spike, holds them in place for hydras to rock and you can toss some out in-between hydra casts.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hydra Sorcs are my absolute favorite Sorcs, bar none. They're absolutely, positively, 100% hell-viable (although you need to devote at least 60 points to them in order to achieve acceptable results). As far as gear goes, a good Leaf staff is all you need (+3 Fireball is my favorite shoppable staffmod to look for, and +1 Static or +1 Teleport are always fantastic for saving some skill points, if you're determined to use that Leaf as end-game gear).

Remember, with your Hydra Sorcs you're going to have a pretty solid Fireball. That'll give you something to spam while your Hydra is spitting, which helps hold enemies in place and speeds up your general killspeed.

A tip for aiming Hydras, while we're at it. Make sure you cast all Hydras in a straight-line with the enemy and the enemy's target. For instance, if an enemy is determined to attack you, either cast a Hydra between you, or behind the enemy, and none of the bolts will miss because the enemy will be running directly towards or directly away from the hydra. If the enemy decides to attack your merc, do the same thing with your merc.

Another thing- Patience is the key to Hydrasorcs. Make sure to scout ahead with Hydras before advancing, and don't wake up a ton of enemies at the same time. The more enemies are around, the more spread out your hydra damage gets, and spread-out damage is inefficient damage.

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
Im in the process of making a hydra/orb sorcess. so far in act 3 hell.
I also did make a sorc like this in the past, so she's not my first.
She does ok considering she's untwinked...:wink3: .
My build will be:

20 frozen Orb
5 Cold Mastery
20 Hydra
20 Fire Mastery
20 Fireball
15 Firebolt
1 Static, Teleport,Wramth
prereqs...

Of course I won't get the build done, since its finished at lvl 99:tongue:
She is hell viable. I got so far even with only +4 skills
People underestimate hydra because it takes time to set up a "hydra field".
The damage displayed may not be stunningly high, but it's a damage per bolt, just like frozen orb's one. A few pointers:
when your merc is fighting with monsters place all hydras0 in one spot(on top of each other) behind your merc - that way you'll pick off individual enemies faster(hydras shoot at the closest target, so they will all shoot at one target this way). Don't forget you have this nifty spammable spell called fireball. spamming fireball in between hydras greatly increases you fire damage.

thele

Diabloii.Net Member
Hydra Sorceress rules.

I love doing Hydra Builds. Here is what I have right now.

Level 65 Hydra Sorceress.

1) Until you reach 30 you are pretty weak. Here is what I have:
-1 point Frozen Armor. That's it for cold. Nothing else in cold. Ever. Frozen Armor helps give you some needed defense
-1 point Charged Bolt, Telekinesis, Lightning, Chain Lightning, Teleport. These pre requisites allow you to get to ENERGY SHIELD, which is a must to survive out there.
-1 point static, Nova. With the above, this now lets you get THUNDER STORM. It only lasts 32 seconds and deals 1-100 damage, but it has been Life-Saver for me. It slows down someone who gets close, or kills them out right. It is especially useful when running away.

That's 9 points in lightning, and 1 point in cold.

Chain Lightning is what has kept me alive mostly, as well as a good merc. You are doing very little damage up to this point, but you really need to save up your extra points.

2) Under 30 for fire.
-1 point in everything. Fire Bolt [1], Warmth [1], Inferno [6], Blaze [12], Fireball [12], Fire Wall [18], Enchant [18], Meteor [24]. Unfortunately, these are all needed as prerequisites for Hydra.

That's 9 points in lightning, 1 point in cold, and 8 points in Fire = 19 points total. By the time you reach 30, you really want to have 10 points to spare. Firebolt and Fireball gives you synergy for Hydra, but Fire Mastery gives you better synergy.

3) Level 30
For level 30-40, you now have enough points to put into both Fire Mastery and Hydra at the same time. Hopefully you will have reached Pindleskin (normal). You can solo there from 30-36 very easily with your hydra.

By level 50 I was maxed in Hydra, and nearly maxed in Fire Mastery. By 57 I was maxed in both, doing nearly 500 damage with Hydra.

I am now 65, and I am doing 500-580 damage with Hydra.

Once you are maxed, you have some options. Fire Bolt and Fire Ball gives you great synergy to increast Hydra Damage.

I, however, took the defensive approach. I put spare points into lightning. I put a couple into ENERGY SHIELD to get to that 50% sweet spot. I put some more into THUNDER STORM to keep it's duration longer -- it saved my butt many times. And I increased TELEKINESIS a bit so that my ENERGY SHIELD would be more efficient.

As you can see, I spent extra points to increase my defense. I took this approach because something hit me one night that drained 3/4 of my mana and 1/2 of my life. Scared the crap out of me.

I am now considering boosting my Chain Lightning, since it hits multiple targets and slows them down. It is especially useful since I see a number of fire-immune monsters out there.

If you want to concentrate on Hydra damage, go ahead and pump it into Fireball first, then firebolt.

Personally I am happy with 580 Hydra Damage, especially since it targets everything, fires 3 times (1 per head), and I can get 4 of em out in 8 seconds. That is more than enough to kill things that come my way.

As for strategy, there are 2 main ways to use Hydra:

1) Place traps at the top of your screen to kill monsters off screen.

2) Place traps HALF a screen away, and walk towards it, then cast additional Hydras beyond it as you area walking. You always want to be on top of a hydra for protection. This is the safer approach

you see, monsters run fast from off screen. So if your hydra is ner the top of the screen, the monsters will run right past it and hit you. However, if you are always on top of a hydra (or right in front of it), those "defensive" hydras will slow/kill monsters that are charging into you, keeping you oh-so-safe.

And thanks to Frozen Shield, Energy Shield, and Thunder Storm, you have extra protection so that you can run away if need be.

`Le

thele

Diabloii.Net Member
As for items, the only major item I have right now is a weapon that gives me +1 to all skills. It really boosts up damage quite a bit, but also increases all my defensive skills.

I go with alot of resists, because my defensive spells help me run away from close combat problems... so "defense" bonuses are not that necessary for me.

I am a Magic Find sorceress. So I use the Tal-Ral-Ort shield that Act V Merc-master gives you. That is just awesome for the 45+ resist all, and extra energy shield. It's a very easy item to find.

I am using Tancred Helm+Amulet, which are low level items, but they give me +10 resist all and +75% Magic Find. Once again, very easy to find.

I have a 4 socket ancient armor, but anything with lots of resists is good. I was using a rare armor for 40 levels before the 4-socket appeared.

I am rare boots/gloves that give me 20% Magic Find each, but also a variety of +15% resist fire/lightning.

I was using a lame belt for a really long time. I recently found a rare 3-potion belt that boosts fire/lightning resist. This has allowed me to sell my current gloves and use MAGEFIST (+1 To Fire Skills, 20% Faster Cast Rate, Regenerate Mana 25%), which has been in my inventory for ages.

My point? I still needed lots of RESISTANCES. In the past, I *always* died from Lightning Enchanted monsters. Not anymore. Thanks to the shield and other stuff, my Lightning and Fire Resistances are maxed.

You can also carry alternate weapons - I carry an alternate shield with lots of Magic Find. I switch to it right before the super unique monster dies, then I switch back.

~Le
(also note that I am not using alot of "unique" items. So far they just haven't been needed, or I have not found anything good. I *am* using two (low level) unique rings I found, but I cannot remember what they are)

Epsilon Eyez

Diabloii.Net Member
Hydra sorcs are a blast to play, and much more forgiving to bad aim than Meteor and Fire Wall builds.

My Hydra/Blaze sorc ruled the land until Hell, and I got stuck because of low-level Frozen Orb.

CaptainWinters

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for all the very informative posts guys! I'm still on the fence and while I would really like to play a hydra sorceress, I might just shelve her until I have practice my sorcery with a few different builds and mastered my keybinds etc :). I'd also like to have some better itemization for her before I really give it the go ahead. Thanks a lot and now I know where to come for advice!

Cap

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for all the very informative posts guys! I'm still on the fence and while I would really like to play a hydra sorceress, I might just shelve her until I have practice my sorcery with a few different builds and mastered my keybinds etc :). I'd also like to have some better itemization for her before I really give it the go ahead. Thanks a lot and now I know where to come for advice!

Cap
I think Hydra makes an IDEAL first sorceress. She's not uber-l33t, but she's probably the safest sorc build on the block, assuming you're patient with her. No fantastic items are required- dual spirits and some nice +skills circlets and ammies are all you really need. You don't need FCR since your two main skills are timered. She's a moderately slow killer, but a very steady killer, and like I said, the safest Sorc around.

thele

Diabloii.Net Member
she's probably the safest sorc build on the block, assuming you're patient with her. She's a moderately slow killer, but a very steady killer, and like I said, the safest Sorc around.
This is an extremely important point, that is completely true. The Hydra-sorceress is extremely safe to play. My cousin's level 70-zon and level 75-assasin fears Nightmare Durance, because of the Stygian dolls -- but my level 60 Sorceress does not.

Because Hydra's have 3 heads and can shoot anything that comes it's way. Hydra will interrupt enemies very easily, then just outright kill them. So once you get two of them out (near you), you are very much safe fron stygian dolls and other super fast monsters that try to rush you.

And don't forget that hydra can be cast at the top of your screen, where it will shoot offscreen monsters.

Yessir, Hydra Sorceress' are not hearty or high-damage characters, but they are very safe and do not require unique items.

`Le

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
This is an extremely important point, that is completely true. The Hydra-sorceress is extremely safe to play. My cousin's level 70-zon and level 75-assasin fears Nightmare Durance, because of the Stygian dolls -- but my level 60 Sorceress does not.

Because Hydra's have 3 heads and can shoot anything that comes it's way. Hydra will interrupt enemies very easily, then just outright kill them. So once you get two of them out (near you), you are very much safe fron stygian dolls and other super fast monsters that try to rush you.

And don't forget that hydra can be cast at the top of your screen, where it will shoot offscreen monsters.

Yessir, Hydra Sorceress' are not hearty or high-damage characters, but they are very safe and do not require unique items.

`Le
Another great thing about Hydra sorcs is that, since the Hydras persist once cast, you can use them as passive damage. Once you cast a few Hydras, you can devote all of your time and energy to dodging enemy attacks. Unlike a Fireball or Lightning sorc, who has to constantly spam spells at advancing monsters, you're more than free to drop a couple of hydras and then spend the next 10 seconds teleporting around and not letting anything get anywhere near you while the Hydras do their work.

Fists of War

Diabloii.Net Member
MMM this thread has persuaded me to make a Hydra Sorc now...I'm going to test it in a character editor when I get home then maybe make one on USwest...I hope this build will be like a trapper, which I can't make as I'm playing on Classic :)