Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

anyone stupid enough to try this build?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by CoonerTheRed, Feb 27, 2004.

1. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

anyone stupid enough to try this build?

i read a while back in the assassin forum about a sc sin who was a samurai... only used 2-hand swords for weapons. Speed was requisite, and maxed ts. Not sure what else (decent shadow would be necessary i should think). I guess kicking would probably be ok too... seems to fit the build idea. i played around a little with one in single player and was thinking of trying one in hc... i figure there's NO WAY i'll make it in nm, let alone hell, but it seems like a good fun suicide char.

has anyone tried this, and what did your build look like... how fast could you get this character? i would think killing them faster than they could kill you would be the only way to live with this build...

edit: note that this build and my single player test char were in 1.09, and i'm clueless on sins in general, so even basic comments would be appreciated

thanks for your thoughts

2. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

I think I'm gonna try this build out.... just for the inquisitive minds :lol:

3. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

From my experiences in hardcore, me seeing a sword assassin would be about as likely as me seeing a non-trap assassin. So why not just use claws if you want to be unique? =D

Using swords would definitely free up a lot of skill possibilities. Might work with venom.

4. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Totally OT...

OT: Historically - it's a strange name for the build. As the actual sign of being a Samurai was to wear two swords. Still... I guess it fits with the Martial Arts aspect of the character class.

Back on topic: Sounds like it might be fun... are you thinking of PvPing or PvMing?

Let us know how it goes...

Cheers

m

5. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

truth to tell I've made one of these in 1.09 (and even did a spot of pking with her also lol)

The method I opted for involved a few things such as cruching blow and freeze. Surprisingly this build can indeed work in 1.10 but requires alot of thought to get along. If hit freezes target works with blade shield in 1.10 then this build is a keeper.

The method I took was:
    1) Max Blade Shield
    2) Hit freezes target
    3) Crushing Blow

Simply put, CoS and MB to handle mobs. The hit freezes target took effect with blade shield leaving me to just swipe at them. "they were frozen with fear"

Build was fun but a little slow at times.

6. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Sounds cool, i got an eth swordguard for trade if you might want ;).

7. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, if you use kicks a lot, its not different from your old Kicksin, only your modifiers (like elemental damage) comes from a sword.

In hell, I find my kicker relies extremly on a combo of: CoS, MB..and then attack. The same would work for your Samurai..only you don't kick them...and let the blade shield do some work. Could still use most of my equipment as well: Gore Riders, Guillaumes and Venom Grip..but maybe a Toothrow or Rattlecage for armour.

Not sure if I would ditch the DS, though

8. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

Firstly a few facts about BS and 1.10 if you do indeed want to try this out.

BS's range is no longer based on your weapons range. It is fixed at range 6 (or 5).
    It "attacks" once every 25 frames (once a second)
    Crushing blow no longer works as well as some others (look them up in the sin forum)
    I am not sure if hit freezes target works with it.

Idealy you would have a high enough BoS, some crushing blow, and hit freezes target. If hit freezes target works with BS then max that (for duration). HFT will always work if the monster is below your level, or it will work everynow and then for monsters within 10 levels above you. Any higher and it will not work at all.

9. rachelene2

rachelene2 IncGamers Member

Blade fury

Did you know that blade fury actually does 3/4 of weapon damage--and any other damage enhancing thing you may wear--?

It's very quick too. Faster than doublethrow on a baba. Now, Won't do nearly as much damage as double throw, but it gives some alternatives to just swinging the sword.

Blade fury is surprising, actually. Correctly rigged, an assy can level very fast thru the whole of normal only on that skill, and a single point is all that is needed. Just have an insanely high damage weapon, and armor, helm and shield filled with carnage jewels, with damage charms, and you'll be surprised how far that will go. Oh, and blade fury speed doesn't seem to be linked to weapon speed. It's quick. Real quick.

I'll try it with that ethreal snap I have.

10. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

bf takes a big hit when using a two handed weapon.

11. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

i did one of these assasins back in .09 and i never tried one in 1.1 as i dont think it would be able to work too well.

playable, but VERY VERY slow i would think

12. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

Huh, didn't know that. Guess I've just seen the movie based image of a Samurai with a long (2-handed) sword... though now that you mention it all the samurai swords on display at the Met Museum of Art are much shorter, which would be explained by the two swords thing.
    definitely PvM. With no shield I'm sure this lady would be toast in PvP. Not exactly sure how this will work, but she will definitely be based around her sword (not just using it for the mods on a kick or something). Maybe blade shield would be a better idea than kicking for that reason, plus that provides some decent defense (especially with the freezing). I'm not expecting to have her be too effective in hell (no shield and i'm not that rich, so resists will definitely be questionable, plus no block), so my build will hopefully be workable by around lvl 60ish. Gotta check BoS tables, but she will hit the fastest breakpoints if at all possible. I haven't completely thought this one through yet, but I'll post an update as she gets off her feet.

13. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

Here is what I would do: 20 into TS, 20 into dragaon tail(yes tail not talon, mainly because I have been wanting to make my old school tailer again :) ), ? BoS this would depend on the weapon you are useing and what breakpoint you want to hit, 20 SM, 20 CS (this is cloak of shadows, and in Hell your AR will be seriously lacking so that -% D is great). Now if you can use traps then disregard the 20 into CS but if you can't then it can only help :). I know that is allot of points but really you don't need CS maxed it's just that I can't really see anything else worth putting lots of points into for this build other than traps. Maybe stick a few into MB, but really not necessary if you have CS on them. Ok this is basically how I see someone playing this build. You us tail on large groups then once there are only a few left you just finish them off with TS and your sword (of course you charge up TS for tail also). Then for bosses you rely on you massive damage sword and TS to take them down. For merc I would definately go Holy Freeze since this assasin will be super fragile although a Might merc would help allot too if you think you can handle.

14. Araquiel

Araquiel IncGamers Member

Well, from a historical perspective, a Samurai build would be focued more around using a bow/spear, with a sword as a back-up weapon. (The first two were the primary weapons of the Samurai. The sword was just in case.) Samurai were after all a cavalry force (which is something that is always missing in D2-ish games) and the yari/yumiya were more useful from horseback. However, D2 doesn't really allow the practice of Bakyu-jutsu, so a bow wielding Samurai would be a hard thing to do.

For Japanese weapon usage, regardless of context, you could go with:

Katana and Wakizashi: Longer, predominantly two-handed sword paired with a shorter blade on occasion.

Nodachi: The larger two-handed sword. Some of these things were huge.

Naginata: Polearm weapon of Samurai period. Think katana on a stick.

Yari: Japanese spear.

Yeah, I know this is all game-irrelevant, but it's cool stuff to know.