Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone remember the old Star Wars Galaxies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Qualious, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Qualious

Qualious IncGamers Member

Anyone remember the old Star Wars Galaxies?

God, I really miss that game a lot.

If any of you played Star Wars Galaxies, preferably before the combat revamp, I just want to know what you thought about it. To me, I think it was one of the most unique MMOs of its time, and I can't figure out why it failed so terribly. There were no levels, only professions. The end-game was becoming a Jedi, which opened up a entirely new game in itself. You could pretty much solo the whole thing with some good composite armor and some AOE attacks. They integrated just enough of the movie into the game so that it wasn't overwhelmingly present at all times. I mean, the SWG of today is horrifyingly rechid, but when SWG was in its prime, it was the best MMO I have played to date.

Don't give me your BS flame if you disagree, I'm just wondering if anyone around here feels the way I do about this incredible game.

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Re: Anyone remember the old Star Wars Galaxies?

I played it a few years ago but I questioned it's quality from the start as when I paid for the game I recived access to some 3-5 MMORPG's which made me question the developers commitment to each individual game.

It was an interesing game. Basicly a first person shooter game except your weapon would'nt fire unless it was pointed at the enemy.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I always meant to play it but never got around to it, heard a lot of bad things though.

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Dont play it. All you do is drive around the world doing small quests. It's not like a regular MMORPG where you get some quest to gather some wood from the trees 50 meters away.

In SWG you get a quest to talk to some guy 30 kilometers away then you get into some half arsed vehicle and drive for 15 minutes as you watch the distance waypoint meter tic down. Then when you get to that guy then he tells you to find another guy so you get a waypoint on your screen saying 40 km's so then you drive off again and watch it tic down. Then comes the next quest to go back to the original guy and so forth.

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

Sounds like fun.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Sure spending hours riding through empty desert is a real riot.

Atleast Matrix online has the illussion of a world full of content.

7. Qualious

Qualious IncGamers Member

You could spend a lot of time doing quests as you say, but the most fun I had was in massive guild vs. guild raids. I also kind of feel like those long lonely trips were somewhat indicative of Tatooine in the Star Wars movies...

I dunno, to each his own I guess.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Reminds me of those Ringworld games where to convey a sense of the size of Ringworld they made you walk five hundred screens to get anywhere.

Not that those games didn't rock, mind you.

9. Cheesehed

Cheesehed IncGamers Member

nothing beat the 3 month span of evercrack when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.....but i couldnt stop playing