Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone playing fantasy baseball?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Anyone playing fantasy baseball?

Just wondering if anyones doing fantasy baseball.... I am, as you may have guessed, since I made the thread... We had our draft yesterday, went pretty well, I think I've got one of the best teams in the league (its a private league, a friend is the commisioner) It helped that I had first pick overall.. (I took Pujols)

so, anyone else doing fantasy baseball?

-Matt

2. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Steve_Kow just hit a homerun!

Yeah, that was awesome.

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i might be doing a private league on yahoo with the same friends im doing yahoo fantasy nba with if enough of us come, so far the chance is slim. none of us really know anything about baseball, we're just doing it for kicks .. :D

4. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Now that my Expos have been stolen from me I am not going to have anything to do with that crappy league!!! Damm you Selig and baseball!!!

5. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

I am indeed. My team is horrible, because I did no research and my friends and I did a real-life draft in which a 20 second pick rule was roughly enforced and my only source of info was some printed sheets that one of the other guys had. No fun.

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Ooooh... 20 seconds, thats tough. We had a live draft as well, but we had like a minute and a half to pick each time. I didnt do any research either, but I do know baseball well enough to have picked a pretty good team :)

-Matt

7. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

I cant stand Baseball, now that the Expos are gone, its sealed.

8. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty IncGamers Member

I am in a Yahoo public league. The auto draft gave me the following:

C - Kendall.
    1b - Ortiz.
    2b - Polanco.
    SS - M. Young.
    3b - ARod.
    OF - Chipper Jones, Preston Wilson and Ordonez.
    Utility - Thome.

SP - Mulder, Mussina, Jaret Wright, Carpenter, Westbrook.
    RP - Chad Cordero, Shields, Mike Gonzalez and Miguel Batista.

Me likey. I don't have a real good closer (Cordero should be fine if Washington can win 75 games), but that's okay. I think my offence makes up for that.

As for Expo fans, don't blame the league or Bud Selig. If you want your team to stay in your town, fans have to show up at the games. 5,000 fans per game? That's embarassing. It's clear to me that Montreal had no interest in baseball.

9. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Actually Steve, it was a foul ball *kicks fantasy dirt in your general direction*

10. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Yes it is the leagues and Seligs fault. If you do not know about the situation you should not speak about it. For your info the Expos for many years had attendance figures of over 2M a season. We got screwed by a 2 very bad and gready owners in a row (hell look at Loria down in florida he is trying to move that team) and the league did nothing. You cannot blame the fans for not showing up. It only fell to 5000 a game (actually higher but whatever) after the league took over and started playing a 1/4 or more of the games down south. Two seasons ago the Expos would have had a better figure then the Marlins until some unknown person bought enough tickets for the last couple of games to make the Marlins jump ahead.

11. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I got:
    C-Varitek
    1b-Pujols
    2nd: Jeff Kent
    3rd- Bill Mueller
    SS-Edgar Renteria
    IF-Paul Konerko
    IF-Sean Green
    IF-Tony Womack
    LF-Matsui
    CF-Damon
    RF-M. Ordonez
    OF-A. Rowand
    OF-Vernon Wells
    Util-Bagwell
    Util-Biggio
    Util-Juan Uribe

SP's: Schilling, Zambrano, Radke, Clement, Maddux, Lowe, Liber
    RP's:Foulke, Hoffman, Graves

I'm trying to trade one of my benched pitchers (zambrano) and Juan Uribe for a new utility guy from another team, Jeromy Burnitz, which would be pretty nice... The guy really needs a pitcher, so hopefully he'll do it :)

-Matt

12. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty IncGamers Member

I always figured that Expo fans were miffed about having the '94 playoffs cancelled, since the Expos were the best team in the league at the time. Add on top of that the fact that the economics of baseball didn't allow for them to keep the team intact, and it became pretty clear that the Expos were destined to become a farm team for the big market clubs. Slowly but surely, fan support faded. Jeffrey Loria jumped in because he could smell the blood in the water.

The same thing has happened in Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Kansas City, among other cities. Who knows, maybe those franchises are doomed to relocate to New Jersey or someplace like that.

13. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

Iiiiiiiiiiiit's..... FANTASY BASEBALL THREAD UPDATE TIME!!!!!

My team currently consists of:

C - Bengie Molina (when I finally convince myself to start him over Lo Duca)
    1B - David Ortiz
    2B - Brian Roberts (what a sleeper)
    3B - Chippah! (aka Chipper Jones)
    SS - Michael Young
    OF - Jim Edmonds
    OF - Gary Sheffield
    OF - Pat Burrell/Xavier Nady (when I finally convince myself to start Sheffield again)
    Util - Eric Hinske
    BN - Edgardo Alfonso
    BN - Paul Lo Duca
    BN - Burrell/Nady
    DL - Bobby Crosby

SP: Mike Mussina, Tim Hudson, Jamie Moyer, Bronson Arroyo, Rodrigo Lopez (another superb sleeper. I loves me mah Orioles)
    RP: Troy Percival, Danny Graves, Miguel Batista, Jose Mesa

A thing of beauty, I assure you.

Let's hear stories! Trades! Incredible free agent acquisitions! Etc.!

As for myself, I picked up Hinske, Burrell, Alfonso, Arroyo, Moyer, and Batista for the low low price of nothing. Also Nady, though he's mainly been hitting for average lately. Tough calls are going to include days where both catchers have games, days where all 4 outfielders have games, and picking my utility player each game. Especially since so many people double-position (Chipper plays OF, Hinske plays 1st/3rd, Lo Duca OFs, Alfonso plays 2nd/3rd). However, I love that Lopez and Batista are each listed as SP/RP, which allows me to fit more active pitchers into each day (assuming they all have games, but not necessairly starts).

In related news, I'm going to the Nats' home opener tomorrow. I feel so dirty (O's for LYFE!!!).

14. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Why is chipper jones listed at OF. The roster must be a season and a half old.