Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone Playing a Classic Hybrid Barb?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by JEB90, Sep 4, 2010.

1. JEB90

JEB90 Diabloii.Net Member

Anyone Playing a Classic Hybrid Barb?

Hi--

Since I can't seem to find javelins that do enough damage (I don't think) to play all javs, all the time. I'm going to go sort of old-school hybrid and put Axes on main weapons with 2x Javs on switch (yeah, I know the old hybrid was s/s). I have 2 300+ damage javelins to use so they ought to hit hard enough against teleporters that I'd throw at. Anybody have experience / success with this kind of build in this patch?

JEB90

2. diabloal

diabloal Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Anyone Playing a Classic Hybrid Barb?

Throw damage has been nerfed so hard that you wont be able to kill anyone in pvp. I made a pure thrower with everything into damage and attack rating. It takes a whole minute of constant throwing to kill someone with max block and high defense.

3. JEB90

Yeah--I quit right after the big throwing nerf in 1.10. That's why I want to melee vs. high def opponents. Anyway, I'm only planning to throw vs. low def opponents like sorcs and maybe poison necros. We'll see...

JEB90

4. biko

biko Diabloii.Net Member

Actually I've played that build. It is very good. You don't need to sacrifice that much ww damage/life etc. for the option of having 2x javelins on switch. So basically it works like a normal bvc/bva but with a powerful ranged attack.

The problem for me was the slow replenishing of my javelins, which led me to respec to a normal ww barb. I still have my javelins though so anytime I want I can respec to hybrid. It just isn't that tempting when you can just throw a few javelins and then wait 20 minutes before you can use them again.

What javelins were you planning to use? If uniques then replenishing is fine, if rares then make sure both have propagation mod (replenishes 1 in 10 sec) and not replenishing mod (replenishes 1 in 20 sec). You have to test them to be sure of this though. If I could find one more propagation javelin that I like I would probably start playing hybrid again, but they're hard to find with the stats I want. The main problem with the uniques and most rares for me is the lack of fools mod. I want it on my javs to be able to hit paladins.

When you build your barb, a thing to keep in mind can be that you can dex/str bug your javelins so that the projectiles become invisible. This can be very useful.

By the way, I read your javelin barbarian guide back in 09 and liked it alot, even though I was too noob to ever build one back then.

5. JEB90

Thanks--

It's always nice to know someone read that guide besides me. That barb really was a lot of fun. Since coming back I haven't been able to find (myself or in trade) any kind of eth/replenish javs. Right now I've got 2 3xx damage rare stygian pilums. Not much but something. I did manage to kill a mana shield sorc--so far, so good. I thought about using eth lacerators, but the range is just so bad it doesn't seem worth it. If you happen to be on West and want to trade your javs... ;)

JEB90

6. biko

biko Diabloii.Net Member

Hehe, I'm on Europe I'm afraid.

Yeah, I know some people use lacerators, but for me, javs are the only way to go.

I was quite lucky and managed to find some of the best javs I've seen for a reasonable price. Good ones are hard to find...