Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone Play Median XL?

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by GoldenBird, Jul 13, 2010.

1. GoldenBird

GoldenBird Diabloii.Net Member

Anyone Play Median XL?

Hi! I got kinda bored with regular D2 so I decided to try out Median XL.

I'm curious if anyone plays Median XL here (as far as I understand this is an accepted mod right?). I want to play on Open B.net (don't really understand or trust the Hamachi thing, and don't want to download extra stuff). I would post this elsewhere but I find this site has the best community. If anyone's interested then maybe leave a post here, we can set up a channel or game or something.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: Anyone Play Median XL?

You can't play Median on Open Bnet. It's a completely different game to D2. It isn't hosted by Blizzard or able to be played on their servers.

Are you are referring to TCP/IP or LAN?

Please note, we do not accept any form of Open Bnet in the SPF or SPTF. Too many hacks and cheats.

3. GoldenBird

Darn, didn't realize Open wasn't allowed here. It does actually work on Open (as I'm playing it right now). The only thing is that if you try to play with someone else that doesn't have Median or has other third party programs then you'll crash.

Anyways, sorry about that!

4. OoQQoO

OoQQoO Diabloii.Net Member

I've played median XL before, and i really liked it..

A change from the normal D2.. I did play online, on a "private server", althought i wont go in-depth since it's probably not allowed...

However, i find that the classes have been kind of changed too much.. barb summoner? cool idea, but i want more skills that smash, crush and cleave :|

It's a cool mod tho, what character(s) are you playing?:)

I made an unholy paladin when i played it..

Also, lol @ golden birds avatar ^^

5. GoldenBird

Well if Hamachi is a private server then as far as I understand it's allowed. However I don't like downloading stuff like that onto my computer, especially since it's not really my own.

I agree that the characters are sometimes changed a little much, and few of the trees really synergize with one another, and so sometimes you must stick with only like 5 spells. I find that the necro and the assassin are so far the only classes where different types of spells from all trees can be used in conjunction. I was also greatly disappointed at the weakness of bow characters; the necro with a crossbow just wipes out the bows.

I've tried a bowazon, summoner necro, unholy pally, melee assassin, and a fire/ice sorc so far. I also sort of tried a bow druid but gave up to its immense weakness, then tried the trap rat and tree form. The trap rat, though hilarious to look at, is so weak and slow compared to the tree form. And the tree form is so horrendously boring, since the only active skills consist of repeatedly bashing.

Overall, I really like it because it gives a twist to the game. I was bored of playing D2 and this was a good remedy. However, it's not balanced very well. I was going along at payers 8 for every char but the bowazon, but once you hit Act 3, you get wiped out by the onyx knights at players 1.

I think the biggest disappointment was the lack of addition to monsters/story line/environment/ ect. I remember before I downloaded it I saw a mod called Scrabble that had totally reworked environments. The ones in Median are all the same save for the uberquests and bosses. A lot of the monsters that were replaced and put it also make no sense, and it seemed to me like a lazy gimmick to look like he tried to work on them. I mean, he replaced the vipers in the viper temple with skeletons. How does that make sense? It is, you know, the viper temple. And I mean, cultists in Tamoe Highland? Shouldn't they be in the cloister?