Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone like Dream Theater?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jimmeh, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh IncGamers Member

Anyone like Dream Theater?

Just recently bought the Scenes from a memory album and its seriously the best album ive heard for a long time

Can any fans suggest another good album or fave songs?

2. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

If I remember correctly this is Technetium's department.

3. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Tech can help you out with this.

EDIT: DOH!

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Liquid Tension Experiment is some of the same guys as Dream Theater isn't it? Because I love Liquid Tension Experiment. I'm just not a big fan of vocals, but Dream Theater does some kickass stuff.

5. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

i definitely like dream theater, one of my personal favourites is one called 'six degrees of inner turbulence' though when i play it it shows up as 'glass prison'...

i downloaded it, so im not sure which is the right name, im i cannot be arsed to check which is right. i guess if one of the songs shows up on your cd, thats the one im talking about

6. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

Great musicians.. but not my style, I'll pass.

7. Mister 4

Mister 4 IncGamers Member

Yes, I like Dream Theater a lot. Definately one of the better progressive metal outfits there are today. Unfortunately my chances of seeing them on a tour are... infinitely small, seeing that I live in Australia.

You might want to pick up their second studio album, Images and Words. It was the first album they did with their current vocalist, and is really really good. It also contains the first part of the Metropolis saga. You only have Part 2. Seriously, go and get this album. Now. You might also want to pick up Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence while you're there. And their Live Scenes From New York album too.

You might also want to check out a few other bands like Symphony X (Slightly heavier, and with more of a straitforward style of songs, but they can be proggy when they want. Their guitarist is also a madman. Check out "V: The New Mythology Suite", "The Odyssey", and "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy"), Fates Warning (An older band, has Dream Theater's ex-keyboardist on a few albums. I recommed that you check out "A Pleasant Shade Of Grey". Its actually one song (split up into 12 parts) spanning an entire album), and Pain of Salvation (Swedish progressive metal outfit. They only do concept albums, and they do them well. Check out "The Perfect Element" and "Remedy Lane").

Also, if you're a fan of instrumentals, look into Liquid Tension Experiment. Its a little side project that their drummer threw together. Their first album was written and recorded over five days (!!!!) and contains a 23 minute long improvised track. They also have another album that is very, very good as well.

Aero: LTE is Dream Theater minus the vocalist (obviously) and also minus their bass player. Instead they have another guy who seems just as good, if not better, than Myung. Well, I'm talking about the current Dream Theater. At the time when they recorded the first album, I don't think that Jordan was their keyboardist.

tintrail: The Glass Prison and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence are both on the same album, but the former is about 13 minutes long, and 6º is about forty minutes long (its actually the second CD in the album, and is comprised of eight parts that make one song).

8. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

They played at Pine Knob the same night as Joe Stariani.

I had never heard them before (only oldies and country radio stations this far from civilization), I was impressed.

9. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

Yeah, you bought a great album, man. If you want to fill out the rest of your DT collection, these are what you are still missing:

When Dream and Day Unite: I don't have this, but I've heard it. It has a kinda shabby vocalist, and the recording quality is dismal. The music itself is still very good.

Images And Words: Very good, but I don't regard it quite as highly as a lot of DT fans do. This one is much more song-oriented than the one you got, as the songs don't really have anything to do with each other thematically or musically, except for the final two tracks (which make up some of DT's best music ever).

Awake: One of the heavier albums they did at the time. This one is not really a concept album, but it has a couple collections of songs on it which are linked together. Labrie's voice improves considerably from the previous album, and Petrucci really does an amazing job playing ridiculously fast in some songs while still keeping it stylish.

Falling Into Infinity: Some DT fans don't like this, because it's their least heavy album. It's actually my favorite one, because I'm a fan of good music before being a metalhead. ;-) This album defines, for me, the reason why John Petrucci should easily be in the guitar hall of fame. He embodies the soul and passion of famous guitar players like David Gilmour while being able to inject speed and complexity.

A Change of Seasons: It has their 20-minute epic of the same name. It's one of their better songs. It also has some excellent covers of Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Journey, and others.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence: A great album, for the 2nd CD especially. The first CD contains separate songs which are okay (The Great Debate is more than okay). The second CD is all one piece (on separate tracks, though) that is 42 minutes long. It ranges from modern symphonic to crushingly heavy to a classic-rock kind of sound. My favorite song from the band. :)

Train of Thought: This one is getting a lot of publicity because it is extremely heavy (even has a downtuned guitar on some songs). It's not bad, but I don't think it is one of their better ones. I understand they were trying to do a tribute to classic thrash metal of the 80s with this.

There's also a live album, but I don't have it.

I'm seeing them on the first of next month. Woo-hoo! (Sorry, Mister 4)