Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone know if Bill C-7 was passed in canada?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Nefastaru, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Nefastaru

Nefastaru IncGamers Member

Anyone know if Bill C-7 was passed in canada?

Yah like the title says, i was just wondering if anyone knew if it passed or not.

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

3. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

EDIT: Anakha beat me to questioning

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It's the Canadian law governing criminal offences of those ages 12-17. It's now known as the Youth Criminal Justice Act and was enacted Apr 1, 2003.

5. London

London IncGamers Member

Wow, so does that mean, if your 11 and you kill someone, they still can't try you?

6. Nefastaru

Hmm i think im looking for a different bill then, unless i just missed what i wanted, im looking for the bill that if passed would make possession of fresh mushrooms and cultures(i.e. magic mushrooms) illegal.

7. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

Those Mushrooms are still legal here (UK).

There's a woman in devon that grows them hydroponically and will mail them (fresh) anywhere in the UK.

They are only illegal once they have been 'prepared'. Read: Dried, 'shroom tea, omelet etc. Raw and fresh is legal.

8. Nefastaru

Heh theirs even a loophol in that law, if they dry accidentally, they are still legal. I.e. you pick them, don't do anything to preserve them and they dry, or left on like a ledge and become sun dried, they cannot prosecute for possesion of them.

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

No.

In Ontario, children under 12 who commit criminal offences are dealt with under the Child and Family Services Act. If the offence is a minor one the child may be apprehended by a police officer and will be returned to the parent so that the parent can deal with appropriate consequences. If the child has on more than one occasion committed an assault or damaged property and the parent has either encouraged the inappropriate behaviour or has not adequately provided supervision, then Children's Aid Society, the police, or another person can commence proceedings to ask the Court to find the child to be "in need of protection". Similar proceedings can be commenced if a child under 12 has has killed or seriously injured another person or caused serious damage

A child protection worker, including a police officer, can apprehend such a child without a warrant and bring the child to a foster home or hospital. In certain circumstances the child can be placed in open detention similar to that under the Young Offenders Act.

The child's matter must be brought to Court as soon as practicable after apprehension and in any event within 5 days. A show cause hearing, somewhat similar to a bail hearing, will take place and an interim order of custody can be made pending the full hearing to determine if the child is "in need of protection"

If the Court finds the child to be "in need of protection" the Court may order a psychological or other assessment and the child may be ordered back into the custody of a parent subject to the supervision of Children's Aid Society, the child may be made a Society Ward of Children's Aid for a fixed period of time, or the child may be made a permanent Crown Ward.

10. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

LOL

You Canadians - My search for Bill C-7 found something called

BILL C-7: THE FIRST NATIONS GOVERNANCE ACT
    http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/bills_ls.asp?Parl=37&Ses=2&ls=c7

Which is to do with the rights of Natives.

Do all your bills have the same number?

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Bill C-7 under the drug law was changed to be called C-8 in 1996 but it is identical to what it used to be. And yes, I believe it was passed. They taked a lot of extra drug stuff on at the end, since it was originally a law to govern drug abuses to control the spread of AIDS.

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

The goals of the CFDP in proposing amendments to C-7 are:

to reduce the violence associated with the black market in drugs;
    to reduce the risk of acquiring HIV and other lethal bloodborne infections;
    to reduce the financial burden on society that arises from unnecessary drug-related expenditures;
    to stress the need to explore alternatives to current drug policies and laws, so that the harms of drug use to users and society alike will be kept to a minimum;
    to respect international human rights obligations; and
    to reduce the unnecessary and unproductive criminalization of large numbers of Canadians for the possession of substances.
    The principal amendments proposed by the CFDP are:

to include a declaration of principle about the goals and aims of drug laws and policies;
    to confirm that the provisions of the Criminal Code relating to impairment continue to apply to any impairment caused by any substance regulated by the bill;
    to remove the criminal prohibition for the possession by adults of small amounts of substance for personal use, the amounts of these substances to be determined by an expert advisory committee;
    to clarify the law to ensure that syringe exchange programs are not impeded by defining "controlled substance" to include containers used to deliver substances;
    to rationalize sentencing for offences involving possession of larger amounts of substances;
    to remove the criminal prohibition on the transfer among adults, for no consideration, of small amounts of substances;
    to continue to prohibit the trafficking of substances to minors, whether for consideration or not;
    to allow the cultivation of up to 10 plants of cannabis without a permit, or more with a permit issued under the regulations.
    The Future of the Bill

On 2 February 1996, the government announced the prorogation of the current session of Parliament. Since Bill C-7 had not yet been enacted, it died at this time. However, on 1 March, the Hon Herb Gray, the Government House Leader and Solicitor General of Canada, announced the government's intention to reinstate the bill in the new session of Parliament, which began on 26 February. On 6 March, the new Minister of Health, the Hon David Dingwall, introduced a motion that in effect revived the bill, renaming it Bill C-8, and deemed it passed by the House of Commons. The House adopted the motion and the Bill was deemed passed. Apart from changing the bill's number from C-7 to C-8, Bill C-8 is identical to the bill originally passed by the House of Commons on 30 October 1995. The reinstated bill will return to the Senate, where the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs will likely continue the hearings that were interrupted when the session ended on 2 February. The CFDP will continue to draft model drug legislation for Canada in order to be able to offer an alternative to either the present laws or what ever laws the government decides to resurrect.

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Once a bill is passed it's no longer a Bill and the name can be reused.

Nefasartu: You can find all the drug laws on this site and all the prohibited drugs under the Schedules near the bottom.

14. Nefastaru

Where could i find that bill? so i could read up on it, as i'd like to be 100% sure.

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

The site I gave you above this one contains the entire current drug code.

16. Nefastaru

Thank you, i really appreciate your help.

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

No problem. Most drug offences are hybrid offences, which means you can either be sentenced as either a summary or indictable offence, depending on what the Crown decides, so pay attention to that before you go and break a law. There's quite a difference between them and most hybrid offences are automatically considered indictable unless otherwise requested by the Crown.