Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone kind of disappointed with the classes so far?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by JayTheIdiotWilson, Aug 22, 2009.

1. slex lord of hatred

slex lord of hatred Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Anyone kind of disappointed with the classes so far?

i just hope we get another sword class

2. Rash

Rash Diabloii.Net Member

Was thinking about that. So far there is really only one class that can use swords and shields that will drop in the game. And normally barbs arent equipped with a shield. There has to be some class that can use a shield. Maybe the last class is a weaponmaster that can use like everything in the game, from bow to shield to bihanders and armors. Would like that. He just needs a special tree to make him not too boring despite its diversity. Maybe one tree for distance weapons, one for close up fighting and one offensive/defensive mixed tactic tree that combines well with either setting.

3. slex lord of hatred

slex lord of hatred Diabloii.Net Member

if we had a ranger i doubt we could have pets cos we have a WD so. i imagine earth magic , so the likes of rockslide, roots from under earth (they grab enemies and hold them on the ground allowing you to attack them, and there could be some form of healing magics in that tree , im not sure if the monk has any healing . then we add in sword mastery so all your skills from sword of flame , he swings a sword over his head creating a line of fire in front of him, i.e firewall and then all the other sword skills to do with speed, crippeling, flurry and all that stuff. then the last tree could be for bows so fire arrow, ice arrow, multi shot, ricochet, explosive arrow. im just using d2 skills as an example btw i know it would be different.

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Diabloii.Net Member

I like all the classes so far but the Monk is a very cool addition. If we can expect an Amazon/Ranged type for the last character slot then the Monk will be the first toon I make. Plus it seems he can use Fist Weapons (Artwork on official D3 Monk site) as well as the awesome Iron Staff :thumbup:

5. stillman

stillman Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I know it sounds out there, but I still cling to my theory that the monk IS the archer class, and yeah, Blizzard would later say "Oh btw, the monk has a bow skill tree." It's crazy but possible. He IS the high dex class. Bows DO fit in nicely with monks.

The monk seems to mimic other classes just like the zon mimiced other classes in d2. The monk's Crippling Wave looks a lot like fend only way faster if you look at the flower petal body pattern it makes. Wait, that's not what I meant, scratch that. I mean his skills are similar to barb's melee capabilities and the staff is what you would think the WD would be good at. His skill that reflects looks like the slow time combo. Other skills too.

Keep in mind, we are given, what, 5 skills or w/e and there are going to be 50+. What, can ALL of them be more melee/def stuff? No, I figgure a third of them have to bow skills on that principle.

Just my crazy theory. Blizzard is like that.

I agree with sbn about the flashy effects; sometimes it looks like skeletons are exploding into blood and gore. Maybe I'm wrong, it's so hard to tell what the hell is going on down there because of all the outragous effects and body poping. I don't like the Street Fighter 2 effects everywhere. Does the monk's attack have to have pink or yellow flashes for all of them? The light show is bigger than the monk himself. 4 players at once: NO CLUE what is going on.

Also agree with OP about the armor issue. So far NO ONE, NOT ONE CHR WILL MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL IN A "FULL PLATE" SUIT OF ARMOR. Not one. The WD and monk would fuction ideally if they were naked or in cloth. So far, there is no reason to have full plate in the game. Even the barb has weird armor that looks nothing at all like a 15th century suit of armor. Full palte as we know it will be sorely missed. A lot.

I still like all the chr's. Just saying there are core parts missing.

6. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

I said the same for the barbarian when I heard war cries and passives aren't the key features anymore. All you can with on a barbarian are force and brutal power.
    Yet they seem to have pulled it off anyway.

P.S. If you are going as extreme, I can join in. It seem to me like he's some sort of battle mage with elements of (elemental) magic. Thus, we might see some true spells to join in the game. Making room enough for 50 skill if you ask me.
    Fireball anyone?

7. phaolo

phaolo Diabloii.Net Member

Why do many people don't like the idea of a Paladin\Knight in D3?
    I guess that Blizzard now realized the hammerdin bad lesson, so they would just redo the char with different skills and abilities, no?

I love mixing melee combat with magic spells.
    The usual game stereotype is that mages are too fragile for the first and warriors are too dumb for the second. I'd like an average.
    I aim at characters that can kill almost every monster (with a decent speed and few danger) more that powerful heroes focused on one boring ability (and are useless vs some foes).

From what I saw till now, the Monk could be a good compromise, but seems to lack ranged magic attacks (i mean without jumping in the crowd). He's also too similar to the assassin.. I hope he will use weapon other than fists and katanas. I also agree that the flashy effects are messy (even if nice).

The new Barb finally has some long range attack (Seismic Slam) and that is interesting. WW is good as in the past. If only he wouldn' be the dull giant type..

The wizard has wonderful skills as usual, but he completely lacks the melee component. He'll be powerless if surrounded..

Still crossing my fingers for the next class..

8. DemolitionSquid

DemolitionSquid Diabloii.Net Member

@ OP

If you want "sword and board," place points in the Barb's Shield Specialization skill. The Barb also gets Charge and Warcries (which are technically auras).

The Barb can easily function as a pseudo-pally.

9. Dgvs

Dgvs Diabloii.Net Member

No offense, but just the start of this threads says it all. A user that has the name "jaytheidiotwilson", complaining about the best thing in the game so far, the awesome characters reavealed, shows he isnt a real diablo fan. So with the other guy simply putting the 4 characters revealed to crap.

I played all the characters of diablo 2, and ended the game with all. The one i didnt like so much was necromancer.

This new character Monk just made me more confused, because its so awesome, i think the other characters need more improvement. If i had no ideia of what class to play before, now...

What about the rainbows now??? Game looks more and more diablo

10. imaginedvl

imaginedvl Diabloii.Net Member

To be honest I was disapointed when I see "Monk" on Diii.net...

Now after watching the conference I must admit the monk look pretty cool and I' m not disapointed at all anymore :)

11. Seishuku

Seishuku Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not really disappointed with the classes, but I think the Monk is a bad idea, this is probably the first class that I really don't like. Wizard sounds fun, I always liked the magic casters, and WD sounds like a cool way to put Necro and Druid together. Can't say I'm happy about the Barb returning, he's tied with pally as my least favorite class from D2, but I know a lot of people like to use him. What I would REALLY like to see is an assassin with a little hunter/ranger mixed in. I never used martial arts with the sin but she remains my most favorite class, her trap/shadow skills are beautiful, and I think if she had more ranged ability (blade fury being her only physical ranged attack) it would be much cooler. Either way I think we can definately count on some kind of archer class for the 5th slot.

12. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

I honestly cannot see what's so good about a sword and shield class. A shield means you are taking hits, which you should already be minimizing as a good player.

13. Nojin

Nojin Diabloii.Net Member

I like the chars so far. The one I'm actually least interested in playing at this point is the Wizard--I'm just not into spamming the same spell over and over, and it seems as if that's all she's got.

I want someone reinvents the wheel. The Barb took what we thought of a melee class and threw it out the window, becoming a really great visually pleasing character class.

The Monk is great as well, though does fit within the generic "fast and agile" martial artist, but I enjoy his play style. Being able to use 2 different combo abilities as if they were 6 different abilities (since each charge up will do something different) sounds really cool to me--and that's just the tip of what is to come concerning his abilities!

I'm someone who enjoy dynamic based combat-when you have to change what you do, and how you fight, to fit the situation. I enjoy the idea of running into battle and using 5 different abilities to best dispatch my enemies, then running into another group and having to use a different set of abilities/strategy. This is much more fun to me than spamming the same ability over and over.

Thankfully Blizzard has promised to have a much more dynamic combat system in Diablo 3 than what was in Diablo 2/1!

14. JonoLith

JonoLith Diabloii.Net Member

Eh... the only class I've been routinely disappointed with has been the Witch Doctor. Just seems like he's an NPC class trying to make his way as a PC class. Yet to see anything that really makes me think "These guys are going to pwn!"

Barbarian, Wizard, and Monk look really tight though.

15. CoQui

CoQui Diabloii.Net Member

To me, the Barbarian and Wizard are most common and classic. They had to bring them back. It wouldn't be Diablo without a classic mage and warrior class. As far as the Witch and Monk, well, the Witch Doc is interesting but visually he looks very boring. I remember playing the Troll Witch Doctor in Warcraft 3 and thought he was a very boring hero visually and I still hold that with Diablo's version. Though his spells are pretty badass.
    The Monk sort of looks out of place in a dark Medieval fantasy world(then again the Witch Doc might also), but his abilities are pretty badass. I think I was hoping for a Dark Paladin sort of like a Death Knight class. But w/e. Hoping Blizzard really makes people go, f**k yeah! on the next class reveal.
    Then Blizzard will listen hopefully when they come out with the expansion. Also, who says they only need to make 2 classes in the expo? Maybe Blizzard will be abit more generous this time around and go with 3. That would be too damn good.

16. CoQui

CoQui Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yeah, if I personally got to decide on the next class reveal, it would obviously be a range class. Something along the lines of a ranger. Would be perfect(class name wise) to go with what we have already. Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Wizard, Monk, Ranger. No?

17. DoorKnob

DoorKnob Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say I was feeling ok till the Monk came in.

The monk makes me feel half disgusted and kinda disappointed and half excited. From a glance the monk just looks like an asian barbarian with no weapons. But that is my prejudice, once I look in deeper I'm seeing a nice looking melee/caster hybrid that should be a lot of fun to play. But the team working on this better be able to keep the class unique and make sure it's not a sh*tty mix of wizard/barbarian OR a wannabe paladin.

18. Evil Storm

Evil Storm Diabloii.Net Member

I am happy with all of the classes for now, even with the new Monk class. This dude kicks *** hard... =) At first I was thinking of playing as a Barbarian, because I like melee classes a lot, but when I saw Monk, I thought naaahh, Barbarioan is a clasic character, I'll try this dude =) and I really liked this combo magic thingy.. =)

19. Kolapso

Kolapso Diabloii.Net Member

The most suprising character to me was actually the Monk, so it's a nice touch.

20. Lazzie

Lazzie Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not disappointed. Blizzard knows what they're doing, and I'm already itching to see what the fifth class is going to be and the final skill trees so I can properly plan my first build or two. Even if the fifth class turns out to be a kinda-generic D&D Ranger, I won't be disappointed, since I have faith that Blizzard will deliver a kick-*** game.

The really impressive thing to me is how multinational the cast seems to be. Speaking of equivalent races and nationalities in the real world, in D1 you had two white people and a Middle Eastern person, and in D2 you had four white people, an East Asian person, and two Middle Eastern people (although the Paladin could be considered black or Middle Eastern, it's hard to say). In D3 it looks like we have four different races of people already! They're going for the most diverse cast yet, and it all looks really neat.

I still think that my first class is going to be a Witch Doctor, though. The WD seems to be a really cool interpretation of the Necromancer archetype of summoning/manipulating spellcaster, and I think the West African / Caribbean vibe of both the male and female versions of the character works well.