Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone involved in Martial Arts or Boxing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, Mar 27, 2004.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Anyone involved in Martial Arts or Boxing?

I am thinking about joining some form of Martial Arts or Boxing. Mostly to get in better shape. As in I don't need to learn how to fight I just want to get in more althletic form. However, the Martial Arts stuff about learning to control temper would be useful. (If thats even real and not just movies.)
    Any suggestions?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Hapkido, if you get a real teacher lots of running, sparring, grapling, pushups, jumping jacks, wieght lifting, climbing ropes. Basically you need 10 hours of sleep after 2 hours of pratice just to break even.

3. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

if its just to get in shape take up wresteling

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

More likely to get hurt. I know way more people that get hurt in wrestling than in Martial Arts. . .including myself.

5. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

im involved in those things with my brother.

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

I want to learn some Wushu. Ive seen some performances and I feel like I wasted my childhood doing nothing. :(

7. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

ive always wanted to learn kung-fu. My friends is real good at it and ive always wanted to go with him. although i wouldnt recommend kung-fu if you just want to get in shape. Its too involved and you probably wouldnt like it, at least thats what im told. You should probably just sign up to a local gym and go there 3 times a week.

8. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I will never wrestle, ever. My school has won region for the past 12 years and 3 state titles over 5 years. And they are all a bunch of 'monkeys.' I knew them before they started wrestling and then they turned into 'monkeys.'

I already belong to a gym as well as my school's weightlifting team. Its gotten to be rather boring, just seems like the 'fighter people' are in much better shape than those of us who go to the gym. They are also a lot more flexible and such.

9. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I would sugget... the gym. Better looking girls. More relaxed atmosphere. And it's my opinion that one already has to be in shape to do contact sports, otherwise face the injuries. So, join a martial arts or take up boxing to take out life's agravation on someone else otherwise... the gym.

10. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

get in shape + flexibility = gymnastics

I don't suggest martial arts to people who just want to get in shape, the risk of injury is far to high in any of the serious ones.

11. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

I used to take classes in Drunken Boxing and Jeet Kune Do. I got really good, too.

Then it turned out that I was just getting piss-*** drunk and beating up a shrub in the alley behind my house.

It was embarassing, but at least the shrub hasn't been giving me any lip.

12. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

i wouldent realy suggest a compat art for you, but a good way to get in shape is to take a sport art, like sport tkd, which teaches you how to do good in tournaments, but realy wouldent be that usefull. and if you want to take a MA that just sounds cool, take capoeriea.

13. Jimmeh

Jimmeh IncGamers Member

loler ive done that with a postbox and had bruised knuckles for a week :clap:

14. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

I've done Karate, and I'm thinking of starting Kendo in July.
    At a non-competitive level, Karate's pretty good for getting in shape. There's minimal sparring in the first few belts, it's mainly about techniques and excersises.

Kendo on the other hand, is extremely good for the mind; concentration, reflexes, discipline, etc. not to mention cool if you happen to like sword fighting.

Other then that, the only martial arts which really teach discipline and self control (all MAs do it to an extent, just bare with me :)) are generally the high-contact ones, like Jujitsu, Ninjitsu, Kung-Fu, Aikido, etc.

If you have your mind set on a martial art, just research them and find which one suits what you feel comfortable with above all.

15. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

16. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

I started Jujutsu recently, and I'm really enjoying that. Oh, and yeah we have good looking chicks and a great atmosphere in the class btw, even though you do have to be careful not to hurt each other/ get hurt.

I'd recommend Jujutsu, we also do a lot of flexibility stuff, but if you're more interested in the fitness than the fighting kung fu, kick boxing, regular boxing and karate are good options as they all rely heavily on your strength and flexibility.

17. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Karate is good, i took that for almost 2 years awhile back...
    Boxing and wrestling just get the s*** beat outta ya... (unless you just train with them)
    I would say to look-up different martial arts and see what the disciplines each teach, other than just body...like Kore says Jujutsu is for flexibilty, and I know Karate teaches great discipline in mind...Look around and find something you'd like