Anyone interested in a No Vitality Tournament?

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone interested in a No Vitality Tournament?

Note: This is not an actual tournament thread, I just want to know people's thoughts about it.

I've checked the tournament sticky and didn't see any current tournaments like this up. Actually, I skimmed through all of the tournaments, and I didn't see one tournament where the the entire point was not having vitality. (Just stuff like that all-dexterity glass cannon tournament)

The rules are simple:
  • No points may be spent in Vitality.
  • Single-pass only, no reruns.
  • You may go back to previous acts to shop and use quest rewards.
  • You can skip areas and go back to them later if you wish.
  • Any players setting is allowed, just not /p1 kill, /p8 open chests cheese.
  • You cannot Save and Exit to avoid death. It's either the monsters, or you.
  • You may not mule items onto your character, but you may mule them off.
  • Atma may be used as an extended stash
  • RRM/RWM are both permitted

I've never hosted a tournament before and figured it would be safer to post a thread like this first. Please tell me if you are interested, and give input on the rules if you have it. I bet I left something important out. :smiley:

Thanks!

Theophestrys

Diabloii.Net Member
seems like one hell of a challenge... I'd definitely be interested in giving the idea of this tourney a shot -- mostly because I've never been in a tournament but also because the idea of freeing up hundreds of stat points is very intriguing

GueLerMe

Diabloii.Net Member
Hurray for Sniperzon! Decoy + Valk + Guided Arrow + MS + Knockback + Praying!

I'm not a big fan of tournaments, but this one is kinda interesting. Seeing lots of shopping for Jeweler's of Whale on Hell, hehe.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
wow dam you wakiki stole my tourny idea for when i was going to return after exams LOL. Well lets just say two minds think alike :grin:.

I was not going to play any diablo until i finished my exams but i have found i have quite a bit of spare time when i am having breaks so i think i can play abit :laugh:.

Yes this tourny sound AWESOME. Because no matter what build you go you are never safe and i think we can see alot of interesting builds and play styles come up in this tournament.

I have one question though you didnt mention anything about SC or HC. IMO i think it should be hardcore as this rule

You cannot Save and Exit to avoid death. It's either the monsters, or you.
In a way basically means HC.

I will wait abit to see if anyone decides to join before i think about it.

But i am formulating some very interesting builds such as a energy shield sorc with all points in mana :grin:. Not to sure but we will see.

Great idea!!!!!

Morathi

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Basically, it joins the Glass builds with Titan builds. Could give a nice comparison between the two build types. Sounds interestings.

With the ruleset, it's come up before, but:

You cannot Save and Exit to avoid death. It's either the monsters, or you.

Does this include no returning to town in the case of Claw Vipers in Hell trapping the stairs to reload and try again?
I've had a tourney (untwinked - I believe it was Morathi's) where there was nothing I could do. There were too many vipers close to that starting area, and got trapped almost as soon as I moved. That place is a nightmare for many untwinked builds.

Edit: *Waves at Morathi, and steals his ES sorc thought*
I was thinking of the old fashioned Dexazon, but :wink3:

GueLerMe

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, ES Sorc was my second thought. But if anyone makes it through with a Barb, serious props to him.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
lol drystan take it if you want...i am not sure yet. Cant believe no one has officially joined this tourny. It sounds like an extremely good challange and would be alot of fun :grin:.

Does this include no returning to town in the case of Claw Vipers in Hell trapping the stairs to reload and try again?
i wouldn't think so. It basically means if your about to die you cant save + exit. But in your case about being trapped, i cant see why you cant re-roll the map and run pass the monsters in level 1 then get to level 2. As this is single pass so if you cleared level 1 again that would be against the single pass rule.

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember I brought that up in your tourny (pretty sure it was,) after I had been trapped in seconds, and managed to escape.
But it's for clarification from the host-to-be, so it's clear for everyone.

Also, I think many people will join, as it'll probably be a battle between the Titans, Glass cannons, and ES-sorc's, +a few extremely creative builds for sure.
But as stated, this thread is about ideas, and interest, not actually signing up and joining. But I for one am most likely to join, hopefully after my exams out of the way. :wink3:

Also, any prizes or tournament entry fee to make a prize pool?
Maybe the winner can pick an item found from someone else. This would limit it to SC vanilla though, as that's what most people play.
Or just bragging rights. :) Just throwing ideas around for wakiki to consider, and generate opinions.

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member
Oops, you're right Morathi, I did forget to mention that it's HC, or no-deaths-allowed SC. I knew I'd forget something major! :)

About the Claw Viper scenario:

You could not save and exit to avoid that death in this case. You would need to be prepared for a situation like that (gambling a teleport Circlet) or take your chances. Those types of situations are a nightmare for untwinked builds, but that's just tough :\

You could run up the steps to establish that you could have gotten away legitimately, then S&E, and then run all the way back killing as little as possible and with few pickups. I originally was going to say no to that, but it would get really messy since people might be in tough situations and have to leave for non-DII reasons.

I don't have the items for a prize pool, so the prize would just be bragging rights. Details like this will be established in the tournament thread (I think I'll go ahead and make it tonight since there seems to be alot of interest). Other details include when it will end and whatnot.

See ya'll there!

Huriel

Diabloii.Net Member
Question:

I know that for amazons, 100 Dexterity = 100% Enhanced Damage, is that the same for any class (using a bow)? And more specifically, does 100 strength on a Barbarian = 100% Enhanced Damage?

omgwtfbbqpwned

Diabloii.Net Member
It's actually based on weapon type.

Here is the damage formula, according to Arreat Summit:

AS said:
Total Damage:

Minimum Damage = (Weapon Minimum Damage + (+x To Minimum Damage)) * (1 + StatsBonus + (+x% Enhanced Damage) / 100) * Modifier
Maximum Damage = (Weapon Maximum Damage + (+x To Maximum Damage)) * (1 + StatsBonus + (+x% Enhanced Damage) / 100) * Modifier
And...

AS said:
StatsBonus = a damage bonus you get from your strength and/or Dexterity (depends on what kind of weapon you're using). Hammers (War Hammer, Maul, Great Maul and their upgrades) : 1.10*str / 100 Daggers, Throwing Weapons and Assassin Claws: (0.75*str / 100) + (0.75*dex / 100) Bows and Crossbows: dex / 100
Amazon Only Spears/Javelins: (0.80*str / 100) + (0.50 *dex /100)
Other Weapons: str / 100
Rounded down to 0.01 accuracy (ie, for Hammers 157 Strength is a StatsBonus of 1.72)
Edit: Also, some numbers might need updating. Not too sure, better if a techie comes and says something.

Edit 2: I haven't built a titan in a while. Maybe it's time. :d

Gambitsreturn

Diabloii.Net Member
I think this sounds fun. I do need to ask if this is going to be a tournament that will require complete dedication or would it be more like a one act per week thing. I'm just curious because with school and work I would be hard pressed to find the time to compete in a tournament like this if it had a short time span or a set completion date.