Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone here have a milk allergy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Apr 1, 2004.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Anyone here have a milk allergy?

I ask this because Samara had to be put on a soy formula when she was a newborn. When she turned 13 months, her pediatrician put her on whole milk. A few weeks after that, she developed small red bumps on her face. I took her back to the doc and they told me that it looked more like a dry skin problem stemming from drooling and the cold weather. I was told to put petroleum jelly on her face 3 times a day. I did that for a few weeks and it didn't do anything. I went out and bought some Eucerin and tried that for a bit. No change. I took her back and they said the same thing and gave me a prescription for Elidel. I haven't filled that yet because I am not convinced that this is an eczema problem. Upon doing a bit of research on eczema, she does seem to have the small bumps, but only on her face.

My question is has anyone ever had a reaction to cow's milk? Samara has an appointment with an allergist in a week to get tested. Not only does she have some bumps on her face, she has dark circles under her eyes which are indictive of an allergy. I have been told that if she was allergic to milk, she would have those bumps all over her body, but the timeline to me seems to point to a milk allergy.

I just bought her all soy products. She will now be dining on soy milk, soy cheese and soy yogurt. Hopefully, the bumps will go away and she will be spared allergy testing.

If anyone has had an allergic reaction to cow's milk, could you let me know if you had any type of rash only in one place?

Thanky very muchy :).

2. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

I'm not allergic to milk, but I am allergic to citric acid. Wow is that in a lot of stuff.

If I have a lot of it, I get a nice red ring around my mouth and the inside of my mouth and throat that is pretty darn itchy and gross, but it shows up no where else. My mom told me that when I was a baby, she would "experiment" with foods to see what I would have a reaction to. I guess that I would scratch myself in specific areas until I bled. (Buttocks, inside of arms, behind the knees, etc.)

It was later determined that I DID have eczema, but now that I'm older, I can definately tell the difference from the eczema and something that I got from eating something that I'm not supposed to eat.

3. Night

Night IncGamers Member

Well I'm lactose intolerant :\
    If I drink a glass of milk I fart all day for a day and a half and they're horrible smelling...
    Beyond that I can't help you though, sorry.

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

I'm not allergic to milk, but everytime I drink it I have a stomach ache within 10 minutes. Then I go to the bathroom for a while. Afterwards I hand people gas masks before they pass by.

5. Night

Night IncGamers Member

You sir, are also lactose intolerant.

Actually come to think of it I had the same reaction, except to a lesser degree, when I drank lactaid.. ><

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

Really? Thats what lactose intolerant is? But when I eat yogurt ot cheese that doesnt happen to me. Do those have lactose in it? Pretty sure...

7. zodiac66

She is not lactose intollerant..actually, her poopies (that is a fun word to type) are quite small and dry. It is that darn rash she has.

8. Night

Night IncGamers Member

I see :\

poopies
    .. haha you're right.
    Well sorry I'm not of much help then :(

--I don't get sick from yogurt nor cheese...hm :\ I dunno what's up with us then hahahah:)

9. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

I think I do. I drink a gallon a day and keep growing muscle.

10. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Zodi, my oldest daughter had a dairy allergy as an infant. She couldn't keep milk down and she got a rash on her chest and stomach, slightly on her face as well. Soy products seemed to do the job, as well as real breast milk from the Momster.
    Good luck with it, sounds familiar.

11. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

as a person who had excema when i was a kid (i still have it now), i can tell you that dairy products, nuts, eggs, chocolate, and a host of other stuff aggravates it.

then again, i had excema all over my body when i was a kid, so much to the point that my mom tells me i would stick to the sheets as a kid. :hanky:

so i don't think your kid has excema, but if she does, then it is best to keep her away from milk (my mom gave me soy milk. she was also advised against feeing me eggs, as they are high in protein and aggravate anynoe with excema, and this i why i cannot stand to eat an egg, or anything made with egg to this day (i throw up if i eat anything with egg)).

12. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

excema, thats the disease that makes your skin all hard and crackly right? My friend has that, his skin is always peeling and red.

13. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

yuppa, basically the topical (read skin) form of asthma

14. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

I have a baby niece who is currently 2 years old. When she was about 16 months old, she had red bumps, very very very tiny in size, all over her face. The red bumps were not much over her body, though. Probably about a total of 15 or less. We at first thought that she had chickenpox or something like that. When she first developed these, I got very nervous and did some research. Even though my niece was vaccinated against chickenpox, I learned that it is still possible for the people who were vaccinated to get chickenpox. However, the symptoms would not be as distinct as those who never had vaccination.

She had these red bumps on her face for about 7 days straight, so my sister decided to take her to see a doctor. The doctor didn't think that my niece had a chickenpox. He thought that she had some sort of viral infection, and she was finally recovering from it. It took about a total of 11 or 12 days before the red bumps went away. How long has your baby had these rash? It might be similar to what my niece had.

Dark circles may be a result of your baby not getting much sleep because she is irritated because of the rash.

Have you tried Enfamil? Enfamil is, in my opinion, good next to breast milk. Keep me posted what the culprit actually turns out to be in your baby's case.

15. zodiac66

The docs I took her to said that it is not a skin infection. They attributed her rash to drooling and the weather.

I am allergic to Juniper. If I touch a Juniper, I get all these little red bumps. That is exactly what is on her face. The bumps don't seem to itch her or keep her up at night, so the dark circles aren't indictive of lack of sleep. She is not on formula anymore, but when she was, she drank a soy formula. I should have known better than to put her on whole milk.

I have yet to get her vaccinated for chicky pox. She will most likely get her shot this month when she gets the rest of her boosters.

I phoned her pediatrician today, and she seemed rather put off that I am going the soy route. They still stand firm that this is a drool/weather thing. What I am trying to do is eliminate one potential allergen one at a time. It may be milk..it may be cats. Around the same time that she started on whole milk, she started going to my mom's and she has 4 cats. Prior to this, Samara wasn't walking or having close contact to them.

16. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

I think you may be right. Doctors, usually pediatricians, seem rather put off when they are suggested that their diagnosis may be incorrect. I think you should go with your instinct.

17. Freemason

Freemason Banned

That's typical. I can't drink more than about 4 oz. a milk a day or I get all torn up and fart for days. Cheese will have the same effect, but I have to eat about a pound of it before it hits me. And yes, I know from experience. Man I love cheese. And pie. And come to think of it, monkeys. Yup, Im a geek. :lol:

My son kept puking every time we gave him milk. His first 10 months of life was a constant pukefest. Every time we took him to the docs they said he had a "viral syndrome", which is docspeak for I don't know and I don' twant to be bothered to find out what it is. Turns out he was allergic to all forms of milk. Even mother's milk. We put him on a soy milk and it solved the problem. He outgrew it and is now back to regular milk.

The rash you speak of is the exact same thing he had. One thing to do if you can, is try Lactaid instead of soy. Soy milk is expensive as hell. Lactaid isn't much better but every little bit helps. If you have a Costco card, they sell soy milk there. They've always had better prices than anybody else I've seen.

18. mullenman

mullenman IncGamers Member

in some ways milk makes me horribley sick but i guess it does a lot of people. Its alright though i dont even like milk so what a loss :O

19. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I read this and thought, "Why is MV giving his kid monster milk? Where can I get me a monster? That would rule!" Reading comprehension is good, people.

Man, if I couldn't drink milk, I'd go ape. Although, drinking the secretions of another mammal is a bit odd. Best not to think of it. I love the milk.

Hope all your rashy, pukey kids get better. You too, Kit. :drool:

20. Ezcabe

Ezcabe IncGamers Member

My niece has something like that. She cannot drink milk because of some enzyme in it, she not lactose intolerant, but is allergic to that enzyme. When she does, she gets red bumps around her mouth and her eyes get all red. She is on a soy diet also, but hopefully that will go away soon, cause who wants to eat and drink healthy? :p My sister said the doctor said that alot of babies will have that early in life and that it should go away when they get older.